International Experience Canada

Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:14 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Proof of payment submitted
How did you send it if you don't mind me asking?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

billyphatu will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Canuckinuk
How and with which banks are people managing to send the money with the gaurantee that the embassy will not be charged. I've tried barclays and lloyds Tsb and neither of them can gaurantee that the embassy woNt be charged! I don't know what to do!!!
What method are you using to make the transfer?

If you use SWIFT (as asked for on the email), one of the parameters asked for is who to address any charges to. If you do not specify, the charges automatically get charged to you. Therefore you should have no problem. The bank staff are probably just saying that because they don't know what they're doing and don't want to risk a guarantee.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuckinuk
How and with which banks are people managing to send the money with the gaurantee that the embassy will not be charged. I've tried barclays and lloyds Tsb and neither of them can gaurantee that the embassy woNt be charged! I don't know what to do!!!
There is nothing that any bank in the UK can do to stop the French bank placing a charge on receiving the funds. You can set it so that you pay the charges that your bank places on making the transfer, or the receiving account pays your banks charges for you. I think this is what they mean by ensuring that you don't set it so the receiving account pays your fees, if that makes sense.... atleast thats what I'm hoping because neither Nationwide nor HSBC could guarantee that the beneficiary's bank wouldn't charge for receiving the funds.

From what I was told in branch was that some new EU regulation was introduced a year or two ago relating to EEA bank transfers... not sure what it is

Last edited by ChrisBan; Feb 1st 2011 at 12:29 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

mansfield250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just been to natwest to try and make the transfer, like most they said they can send the money so it arrives in GBP but they cannot guarantee that the reciever wont incur and charges so i didnt go through with it.

Have people looked at this yet

http://www.natwest.com/personal/trav...ey-abroad.ashx

can any of these be used?

Im panicking now
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:49 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mansfield250
Just been to natwest to try and make the transfer, like most they said they can send the money so it arrives in GBP but they cannot guarantee that the reciever wont incur and charges so i didnt go through with it.

Have people looked at this yet

http://www.natwest.com/personal/trav...ey-abroad.ashx

can any of these be used?

Im panicking now
I think that the French bank may charge the embassy a comission for receiving funds in a foreign currency and that's acceptable, the embassy just need us to make sure that all fees at our end (i.e. the ones charged by Natwest) are paid by us and not passed on to the recipient.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I think that the French bank may charge the embassy a comission for receiving funds in a foreign currency and that's acceptable, the embassy just need us to make sure that all fees at our end (i.e. the ones charged by Natwest) are paid by us and not passed on to the recipient.
Exactly, and that is totally out of our control whether the receiving bank decides to charge or not.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

billyphatu will become famous soon enough

Exactly, and that is totally out of our control whether the receiving bank decides to charge or not.
My bank asked me to specify who to address any charges to, for both my end of the transaction, and France's end of the transaction.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:34 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by billyphatu
My bank asked me to specify who to address any charges to, for both my end of the transaction, and France's end of the transaction.
But the French receiving bank can still impose small charges on the amount when it is received as a handling commission and that is beyond your bank's control I think.

That Natwest thing is no good to me because, although I hold an account with them, all international transfers need to be done in branch.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by billyphatu
I specified with the bank that as part of the transfer I wanted to pay all charges. They still told me that this doesn't guarantee the french bank won't place their own charges,which no matter why was specified could not be controlled this end. Anyway as I said before I was told there was some form of regulation introduced that prevents us paying any charges implemented at the receiving end in Europe. I'm on my phone at the moment so can't do a google search to find out about this
Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:11 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Sorry didn't see your quote..sent through SWIFT at nationwide branch

Thanks mate, I am going into RBC to sign up for an account today as they offer this service so hopefully they will be able to help me. I have tried a couple of UK banks but Barclays won't let you do this unless you have a telephone banking passcode (which I don't) and Natwest operate a strict in-branch only policy.

For those of us already in Canada, this one is going to be a real headache.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

For those that don't wish to open an account especially, ICICI bank (mostly Toronto branches) you do not have to have an account to do an electronic/wire transfer.

Non-Account Holders

Money Transfers through Branches

Visit any ICICI Bank Canada branch and transfer money to any bank account in the destination country.

http://www.icicibank.ca/personal/mon..._countries.htm

Money Transfers to any bank account in over 200 Countries in the world
ICICI Bank Canada Money Transfers service allows you to transfer your funds through SWIFT to your beneficiary's account in the destination country, normally within 3 to 4 business days.**

Money Transfers to these countries can be done in CAD, USD, Euros or GBP currencies.

You need 2 forms of ID and this form: http://www.icicibank.ca/pdf/Y477%20MoneyTransferR6.pdf

It could take up to 4 business days though - so perhaps not the quickest! I haven't used them but thought it may be an alternative.

Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

CityWalk is an unknown quantity at this point

Got my conditional offer

Can you not just western union the money or use an online service?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:27 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by siouxie
For those that don't wish to open an account especially, ICICI bank (mostly Toronto branches) you do not have to have an account to do an electronic/wire transfer.

Non-Account Holders

Visit any ICICI Bank Canada branch and transfer money to any bank account in the destination country.

ICICI Bank Canada Money Transfers service allows you to transfer your funds through SWIFT to your beneficiary's account in the destination country, normally within 3 to 4 business days.**

Money Transfers to these countries can be done in CAD, USD, Euros or GBP currencies.

You need 2 forms of ID and this form: http://www.icicibank.ca/pdf/Y477%20MoneyTransferR6.pdf

It could take up to 4 business days though - so perhaps not the quickest! I haven't used them but thought it may be an alternative.

That's awesome Siouxie, thanks. The OH has an interview downtown today anyway so I'm going to try to pop in there this afternoon whilst she's doing that unless I manage to get things sorted out with RBC beforehand.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:30 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by siouxie

Non-Account Holders

Do you possibly have a list of their acceptable forms of ID by the way? As unfortunately that PDF link seems to be dead.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Do you possibly have a list of their acceptable forms of ID by the way? As unfortunately that PDF link seems to be dead.
You are most welcome!

This link is working for me : http://www.icicibank.ca/personalbanking/list.htm and the form one above too.

LIST OF ACCEPTABLE IDENTIFICATIONS

A copy of two (2) pieces of ID (photocopied front and back to clearly identify your signature), ensuring that one piece is from List A below

Primary Identification (List A)

We require at least one piece of ID from this list

Valid Canadian Driver’s License
Valid Canadian Passport
Certificate of Canadian Citizenship or Certification of Naturalization in paper or card form
Permanent Resident Card or Citizenship and Immigration Canada form IMM1000 or IMM 1442
Canadian Birth Certificate
Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN) Card
Canadian Old Age Security Card
Government of Canada Certificate of Indian Status
Provincial Health Insurance Card (not permitted in the provinces of Prince Edward Island, Manitoba and Ontario)
Provincial Personal Identification Card, bearing your photograph and signature

Secondary Identification (List B) ID from this section must include your name

Valid foreign passport with legal document to confirm the status
Employee Identification Card, issued by a well known employer, bearing your photograph
ABM or Bank Card issued by a member of the Canadian Payments Association (CPA) with your signature on the same
Credit Card issued by a member of the CPA with your signature on the same
Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB), bearing your photograph and signature

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.