Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Jamesdavid3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
It's been talked about quite a lot
Ok well what 1 years full insurance did everyone get?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:35 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by mattieuk
It's a good idea to have the insurance in have, and the return ticket - however they aren't essential.

And I believe all proof of funds stuff is covered by the application stage.
I think that I would follow the instructions from London rather than take the chance.

To be eligible for the Working Holiday category you must:

be between the ages of 18 and 30 inclusive at the time your application is received. Your application must be stamped as received by the High Commission of Canada to the UK on or after your 18th birthday, and before your 31st birthday;
be a citizen of the United Kingdom and be able to demonstrate habitual residency (i.e. physically living) in the UK for at least three years directly prior to your application to the IEC;
be holding a UK passport that remains valid throughout the period of stay in Canada. When the work permit is issued in Canada, it will not be longer than the validity of the passport.
be in possession of a departure ticket leaving Canada at the end of your authorized period of stay or sufficient financial resources to purchase such a ticket;
have the equivalent of C$2,500. to help cover expenses at the beginning of your stay, for the first 3 months of the stay;
accept to purchase, prior to entering Canada, insurance for medical and health-care, including hospitalization and repatriation, for the duration of your stay – you may have to present evidence of this insurance when you enter Canada;
pay a participation fee when prompted to do so by the High Commission of Canada to the UK in London.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamesdavid3
Ok well what 1 years full insurance did everyone get?
Sorry, couldn't help it - there's been stacks of discussion about insurance in this thread (pages of it, look back through it). I used Down Under Insurance. HTH

Originally Posted by PMM
I think that I would follow the instructions from London rather than take the chance.
Agreed!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 10:27 am
Just Joined

samuelmczed is an unknown quantity at this point

ok so i have a question
how have people sorted their banking in canada?
I want to know whether i can set up a checking/current account before I leave the UK, so that i can have money in a local account when i get there? want to buy a car shortly after arrival and dont want to be paying my uk bank it's 1% or whatever it takes from purchases.
also, how much cash would you recommend taking? thinking if i can set up an account before arrival then i won't need that much.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

hameknowe is an unknown quantity at this point

regarding the banking. It would be difficult to set up bank account before you arrive cause I'm assuming you prob don't have mailing address.
Here is what I did was I made sure that I got online banking set up correctly over here to do transfer then once in Canada and bank account opened used online banking to transfer money. There is also the option of giving the Canadian bank a Uk cheque that also works.
I've been to Canada 6 times now so have done it different ways.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hameknowe
regarding the banking. It would be difficult to set up bank account before you arrive cause I'm assuming you prob don't have mailing address.
Here is what I did was I made sure that I got online banking set up correctly over here to do transfer then once in Canada and bank account opened used online banking to transfer money. There is also the option of giving the Canadian bank a Uk cheque that also works.
I've been to Canada 6 times now so have done it different ways.
When i get there can i use the mailing address of the hostel i'll be staying in? suppose i could use a mates address there...
how long does it take to set up a bank account fully once over there? Also how long does it take for the transfers to go through online from UK to Canada?
cheers dude
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:12 am
Just Joined

As long as it's a address where you can get the mail. Quite often in Canada it will post office box number address.
With a check it's usually 15 days to get the money cause they have to validat the cheque. Bank transfers all depend on your bank some are instant and others take few days. Best to go to your own bank and ask. They can tell you everything about transfers and online banking and whatnot.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by samuelmczed
When i get there can i use the mailing address of the hostel i'll be staying in? suppose i could use a mates address there...
how long does it take to set up a bank account fully once over there? Also how long does it take for the transfers to go through online from UK to Canada?
cheers dude
Also forgot to mention that they can set up bank account on the day you go into the bank.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 5:39 am
Just Joined

sweet and for cards etc? will just set one up when i get there.
any bank recommendations? or just one that has branches near where i'm going to be?
Old Sep 10th 2011, 5:43 am
Just Joined

sweet and for cards etc? will just set one up when i get there.
any bank recommendations? or just one that has branches near where i'm going to be?
Well i stay in Saskatchewan and they have Conexus Credit Union and they have equipment at the branch to set up Card at time of opening account. Definately go to closest branch though. With being from abroad its always handy to have them close by incase of any issues.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

What INSURANCE did everyone get, as you have to cover yourself for 1 year.

Please tell me what ones you used and how much!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamesdavid3
What INSURANCE did everyone get, as you have to cover yourself for 1 year.

Please tell me what ones you used and how much!
James, why don't you do as I suggested and look back through this thread. There's stacks of information in it.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Cheers , just got to get everything sorted now (flights, insurance, temporary accom.)
I got the first acceptance email (conditional acceptance) on 4th August,
8th August my application was accepted by the Youth Mobility Unit in France, 9th September (today) I got my Letter of introduction - which is annoyingly not that clear (doesn't call itself a letter of introduction, though does have the email attachment with all the details on it)
Did you get your loi in about the time they gave your was it quicker?
Mine is about a week behind you with everything else and they told me 10 weeks but I seen online that they say current processing time is 6 weeks.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hameknowe
Did you get your loi in about the time they gave your was it quicker?
Mine is about a week behind you with everything else and they told me 10 weeks but I seen online that they say current processing time is 6 weeks.
Yeah they said 10 to me as well so it was quicker
Old Sep 13th 2011, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
James, why don't you do as I suggested and look back through this thread. There's stacks of information in it.
To be honest im not looking in over 100 pages, Cant anyone just tell me what insurance they used when they entered Canada as you need 1 years full insurance before entering

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.