Wikiposts

GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old Dec 11th 2009, 5:54 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
It will tear me to shreds if it is proved to be "the Goan way" as you put it. Sincerely do not believe it is. There is a bigger joust for wealth going on. I think of Goans as a group on the subcontinent that have had it so 'good for so long' having had an entirely dependent relationship with Britain and Portugal that they are now stunned like deer caught in headlights with the fact that they have not one iota of influence or control in the territory. The ones that have caught on have taken what they can selfishly and uncharacteristically leaving everyone else to fend in an environment of lawlessness and chaos. I meet Goans who are completely depressed, factually and literally, by this assault on an historically sterling character of a unique people and place.

Just to Clarify Wheatsheaf, when I refer to 'thinking the Goan way', I am referring to the selfish entrepreneurs, such as some of the builders and advocates etc and the Government of Goa. It is not the ordinary people of Goa who are harming us, they are being shafted by their own Government as much as FNs are ! There are too many influential people in Goa who worship only the god of money at the expense of all else, meaning that the traditional Goan values are becoming less visible and apparent in the shadow of such overt greed and corruption by the governing few.
Perhaps I should have made that clearer in my original post.

Dread - clarifying !
x
Old Dec 11th 2009, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by johnny five
If I knew the rest I would not have asked!

There seemed to be plenty of time (and words) to reiterate over and over again how illegal most of the property purchases by foreigners were, (although I suspect most of us already had an inkling of that?), let's hope the Goan authorities didnt read and note all that then!

But hey, I've got plenty of time on my hands so I'll plough through 180 odd pages of waffle and work it out for myself, thank you..............
just read the first 12 pages of the thread in fact just posts 4,38 & 41 will do.
Combine these 3 posts with my one above and what more do you really want to know regarding Douglas?????

Last edited by Remy-Ireland; Dec 11th 2009 at 8:08 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Birdy num num is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya y'all,
Have been watching all that is going down in Goa, for quite a long time now, and having spent the best part of 3.5 yrs there, (and more importantly, being both a friend and neighbor to Douglas M and his lovely wife), I suggest you all get the hell out of there with whatever you can carry.... he and his partner weren't even allowed to bring out a few of their most precious and sentimental possessions (just a few tiny boxes that the developer/"owner" promised he would ship on to them, but never bothered about) ...The Goan government as well as the developer/"owner" made sure they left with only what they could carry...(they wanted it ALL!)
To let you all know, he and his wife are now out of the "uncertain hell" that is Goa, and have settled happily in Malaysia....It has taken them many many months to get over what happened to them, and if you STILL all believe that the British High Commission are going to be in a position to help you individually, or collectively, it is time to take the "rose tinted specs" off....!!! Once you start giving "individual" information to an Indian Government Official, you can guarantee your prompt "individual" repatriation to the UK! (Just remember Northern Cyprus! One bag per person, and villas still empty after 30 plus years....What did you UK Government do then?? Declare war on Turkey? I think not!!
Goa is NEVER gonna be not Sussex..and you will never be treated fairly....YOU ARE IN A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY with absolutely no security on anything...(advocates, police, banking, government, RBI etc etc) It is completely corrupt, and unless you temporarily adopt the baksheesh method to delay the inevitable, you will definitely loose everything...dont think that knocking your property down will prevent them from fining you (or worse!), cos they will DEFINATELY prosecute you for destruction of a property not "belonging" to you!! They will also thoroughly enjoy taking you on as "individual" cases (however you interpret their Laws) and that is how they will dissect the remaining UK expats in Goa ...(individually!)

Best bet, is to look at ways to get out with the least publicity you can...look at ways to move your cash out of the country, and count your blessings if you make it!
We spent around 10 weeks in Malaysia with Douglas m last year, and they are slowly healing, and enjoying a much less precarious lifestyle these days, but you are wasting your time battling the system or studying FEMA (some of you at Phd level!) or their interpretation of their legislation...cos its /B]ALWAYS[B] gonna be to their benefit!!
I can tell you, that it takes a long long time to re-adjust after Goa, but it really isnt real, and you are all living in a bloody bubble of unreality...!!! GET OUT ASAP!!! JUST REMEMBER DOUGLAS HAD ONLY A FEW DAYS TO LEAVE INDIA...SO BE PREPARED FOR THE LETTER GIVING YOU 15 DAYS TO LEAVE WITH WHAT YOU CAN CARRY (30KGS EACH)..
Good luck to you all, cos you are ALL gonna need it....
Birdy
Old Dec 12th 2009, 7:51 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that was a reality check wasnt it?

Ploughing my way through "Buyer Beware" from the beginning, and its amazingly interesting, also backs up the sentiments just expressed!

To my surprise this thread starts after Douglas was forcibly ejected, does anyone know if he detailed his earlier experiences on any thread in particular?

If you have an urge to tell me "that I already know", please sit on it, as Fonzie would say, innit?
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Birdy num num is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya J5
Yes I am privy to what occurred before Douglas was ejected from "incredible India," however to discuss it on here, would implicate certain people, and highlight areas of rural Goa that I am not prepared to do!
Suffice to say, that no FN will ever make a true lifetime friend from a Goan.
(If i am sounding like Douglas, its because we both tried to "integrate" with the local population, unsuccessfully)

There are around a billion Indians on the continent, and if any of us had moved to say China, I doubt we would have any difficulty in understanding the jealousy involved in what we brought into their "sights".
So, it is completely understandable how they feel about us "rich" FN's...

Difference is, that they are skilled at controlling their jealousy in order to survive and milk us all...they are excellent businessmen.....!!
(we ended up calling them all "smiling piranha's")
Our final rule of thumb was to look for ALL the angles, and become extremely streetwise towards everyone...and because of that attitude, we survived it ...(not intact, but enough to learn from the experience and never ever repeat it)

Lets face it, the Goa we all loved, has turned into a squalid, corrupt "Benidorm" without any perks these days, apart from the weather, and you can get that anywhere in Asia without all the hassle...
You all need to look at the strain you are going through, and question whether the "cheapness" of the place warrants the pain and uncertainty that comes with it?? ...Another saying comes to mind..."if its cheap, it WILL be cheap!!"
Birdy
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:10 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Birdy num num
Lets face it, the Goa we all loved, has turned into a squalid, corrupt "Benidorm"
I know this is probably not the place to discuss it, but that description of Benidorm is pretty much way way way off target
Old Dec 12th 2009, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Hiya y'all,
Have been watching all that is going down in Goa, for quite a long time now, and having spent the best part of 3.5 yrs there, (and more importantly, being both a friend and neighbor to Douglas M and his lovely wife), I suggest you all get the hell out of there with whatever you can carry.... he and his partner weren't even allowed to bring out a few of their most precious and sentimental possessions (just a few tiny boxes that the developer/"owner" promised he would ship on to them, but never bothered about) ...The Goan government as well as the developer/"owner" made sure they left with only what they could carry...(they wanted it ALL!)
To let you all know, he and his wife are now out of the "uncertain hell" that is Goa, and have settled happily in Malaysia....It has taken them many many months to get over what happened to them, and if you STILL all believe that the British High Commission are going to be in a position to help you individually, or collectively, it is time to take the "rose tinted specs" off....!!! Once you start giving "individual" information to an Indian Government Official, you can guarantee your prompt "individual" repatriation to the UK! (Just remember Northern Cyprus! One bag per person, and villas still empty after 30 plus years....What did you UK Government do then?? Declare war on Turkey? I think not!!
Goa is NEVER gonna be not Sussex..and you will never be treated fairly....YOU ARE IN A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY with absolutely no security on anything...(advocates, police, banking, government, RBI etc etc) It is completely corrupt, and unless you temporarily adopt the baksheesh method to delay the inevitable, you will definitely loose everything...dont think that knocking your property down will prevent them from fining you (or worse!), cos they will DEFINATELY prosecute you for destruction of a property not "belonging" to you!! They will also thoroughly enjoy taking you on as "individual" cases (however you interpret their Laws) and that is how they will dissect the remaining UK expats in Goa ...(individually!)

Best bet, is to look at ways to get out with the least publicity you can...look at ways to move your cash out of the country, and count your blessings if you make it!
We spent around 10 weeks in Malaysia with Douglas m last year, and they are slowly healing, and enjoying a much less precarious lifestyle these days, but you are wasting your time battling the system or studying FEMA (some of you at Phd level!) or their interpretation of their legislation...cos its /B]ALWAYS[B] gonna be to their benefit!!
I can tell you, that it takes a long long time to re-adjust after Goa, but it really isnt real, and you are all living in a bloody bubble of unreality...!!! GET OUT ASAP!!! JUST REMEMBER DOUGLAS HAD ONLY A FEW DAYS TO LEAVE INDIA...SO BE PREPARED FOR THE LETTER GIVING YOU 15 DAYS TO LEAVE WITH WHAT YOU CAN CARRY (30KGS EACH)..
Good luck to you all, cos you are ALL gonna need it....
Birdy
Hi Birdy,
Great to hear from you!
Thankyou for your very Sobering post and please don't forget to pass on my best to Douglas and his OH.

Regards,
Remy
Old Dec 12th 2009, 2:20 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya J5
Yes I am privy to what occurred before Douglas was ejected from "incredible India," however to discuss it on here, would implicate certain people, and highlight areas of rural Goa that I am not prepared to do!
(If i am sounding like Douglas, its because we both tried to "integrate" with the local population, unsuccessfully)

There are around a billion Indians on the continent, and if any of us had moved to say China, I doubt we would have any difficulty in understanding the jealousy involved in what we brought into their "sights".

Difference is, that they are skilled at controlling their jealousy in order to survive and milk us all...they are excellent businessmen.....!!
Our final rule of thumb was to look for ALL the angles, and become extremely streetwise towards everyone...and because of that attitude, we survived it ...(not intact, but enough to learn from the experience and never ever repeat it)

Lets face it, the Goa we all loved, has turned into a squalid, corrupt "Benidorm" without any perks these days, apart from the weather, and you can get that anywhere in Asia without all the hassle...
You all need to look at the strain you are going through, and question whether the "cheapness" of the place warrants the pain and uncertainty that comes with it?? ...Another saying comes to mind..."if its cheap, it WILL be cheap!!"
Birdy
Thank you and regards to Douglas.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Hiya J5

Birdy
There can be no comfort in any of whats happening. But you should also know that Goans living outside India also get eaten up by the local 'piranhas' when they come back to Goa.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

mainwaring has a brilliant futuremainwaring has a brilliant futuremainwaring has a brilliant futuremainwaring has a brilliant futuremainwaring has a brilliant futuremainwaring has a brilliant futuremainwaring has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi Birdy,
Great to hear from you!
Thankyou for your very Sobering post and please don't forget to pass on my best to Douglas and his OH.

Regards,
Remy
Ill second that

Thanks Remy, Noni, Birdy and Wheatsheaf for filling in the gaps.
Especially Birdy.
I also did not realize that Douglas had already left before he started the thread Buyer Beware.

Keep Fighting

Mainwaring
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:02 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I know this is probably not the place to discuss it, but that description of Benidorm is pretty much way way way off target
Yes, this is an outdated view, it was like it once but certainly not now! It took a slagging off on Holiday Troofs this week too.
In terms of current accuracy its a bit like advising people not to walk through London in case someone empties a chamber pot from an upstairs window!
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:03 pm
Banned

and what more do you really want to know regarding Douglas?????
Rude
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Daff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura about

Yes, this is an outdated view, it was like it once but certainly not now! It took a slagging off on Holiday Troofs this week too.
In terms of current accuracy its a bit like advising people not to walk through London in case someone empties a chamber pot from an upstairs window!
Hear hear J5. I spent many happy holidays in Benidorm with my late husband from th 70's until a few years ago. It has developed into a beautiful place. Goa can never aspire to doing the same as the mentality is just not there
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rude
a classic case of pot calling the kettle black, me thinks!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:40 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
a classic case of pot calling the kettle black, me thinks!
Now all of you over the Gossip and Chit chat - including Mitzy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.