Wikiposts

GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old Apr 8th 2012, 9:32 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Hi Bo,
Welcome to BE, sorry to have missed your first posts, too many problems at home.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Bo.Al is an unknown quantity at this point

@a_f_d
I think it's about whether you get your second citizenship before or after you get your US citizenship. If you get it after you get your US citizenship you could be fine (they'll ignore the case). However, when the US passport needs to be renewed then there have been cases where the US passport department asks for a cancelled passport of earlier citizenship held.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Hello Noni, thanks for the warm welcome. Hope all will be well soon.

Bo
Old Apr 8th 2012, 2:21 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for elaborating Bo.

I can see where this may be the case for an OCI holder as that does mean Oversees Citizen of India.
The PIO does not refer to the holder being a citizen and in many cases a holder of a PIO visa is either a born and bred British citizen who can show Indian ancestry, or is a born and bred British citizen who has married an Indian person. In both of these cases, the British consular would be bound by its duty of care to British citizens abroad.
I can't comment re the US consulate, but I am wondering whether the person you spoke with at the UK consulate was aware of what PIO is when they gave the advice. I will have to do some research on this.

Dread - x
Old Apr 8th 2012, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Thanks for elaborating Bo.

I can see where this may be the case for an OCI holder as that does mean Oversees Citizen of India.
The PIO does not refer to the holder being a citizen and in many cases a holder of a PIO visa is either a born and bred British citizen who can show Indian ancestry, or is a born and bred British citizen who has married an Indian person. In both of these cases, the British consular would be bound by its duty of care to British citizens abroad.
I can't comment re the US consulate, but I am wondering whether the person you spoke with at the UK consulate was aware of what PIO is when they gave the advice. I will have to do some research on this.

Dread - x
OK, I'll say it for the third time - BHCI have recently clarified that OCI's will get consular support in India!
The link I gave for US OCI's was not an official site but looked fairly authoritative.

AndyD
Old Apr 8th 2012, 11:34 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
OK, I'll say it for the third time - BHCI have recently clarified that OCI's will get consular support in India!
The link I gave for US OCI's was not an official site but looked fairly authoritative.

AndyD

How was this clarified Andy?
I ask because Bo above has been personally told by consulate staff that this is not the case, so one would assume that not all the consulate staff are singing the same song.
Is there a reference for this BHC assurance?

Dread - x
Old Apr 9th 2012, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

@a_f_d

"OK, I'll say it for the third time - BHCI have recently clarified that OCI's will get consular support in India!"

I don't think BHCI can deny this support categorically. But, there could be some circumstances in which they might not intervene. That was my understanding.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo.Al
@a_f_d

"OK, I'll say it for the third time - BHCI have recently clarified that OCI's will get consular support in India!"

I don't think BHCI can deny this support categorically. But, there could be some circumstances in which they might not intervene. That was my understanding.
If a problem occurs isn't it more likely to be due to a person holding both USA and British passports; which consulate is responsible?
Indian Government has always refused dual nationality. Other consulates must know this.
Certainly a PIO card in no way gives Indian citizenship or dual nationality.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Hello Bipat,

"If a problem occurs isn't it more likely to be due to a person holding both USA and British passports; which consulate is responsible?"
Sorry didn't quite get that. It seemed like people holding both USA and British passports cause trouble

The scenario is one where an individual holds any passport (from a country other than India) and a PIO/OCI. The country issuing the passport will be wary of when it intervenes in a situation involving the PIO/OCI in India. Also, India might not likely intervene on behalf of PIO/OCIs in other countries. I certainly don't expect any!!
Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:28 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly a PIO card in no way gives Indian citizenship or dual nationality.
Nor does OCI.........

It has always been a Mickey Mouse description and a sop to overseas Indians
Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo.Al
Hello Bipat,

"If a problem occurs isn't it more likely to be due to a person holding both USA and British passports; which consulate is responsible?"
Sorry didn't quite get that. It seemed like people holding both USA and British passports cause trouble

The scenario is one where an individual holds any passport (from a country other than India) and a PIO/OCI. The country issuing the passport will be wary of when it intervenes in a situation involving the PIO/OCI in India. Also, India might not likely intervene on behalf of PIO/OCIs in other countries. I certainly don't expect any!!
It is not that two passports cause trouble it is that each consulate could possibly try to pass any problem on to the other one in order to save work eg if you are in prison!!!!
India has no obligation to intervene on behalf of a passport holder of another nation.
Could I ask why all this worry about consular help??
Old Apr 9th 2012, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by johnny five
Nor does OCI.........

It has always been a Mickey Mouse description and a sop to overseas Indians

It is to encourage financial investment from NRI's (used as a common term) while giving minimal advantage in return.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

@Bipat

"Could I ask why all this worry about consular help??"

No worry. Just clarification. There was a question from Doug.L as to whether he might loose some rights (including British consular privileges?) by taking on PIO. And I was airing my wide and varied experience in the matter
Old Apr 9th 2012, 4:16 am

I think that anyone taking on a move or affinity to another country o dual citizenship etc etc is very wise to check out their consular entitlements beforehand - better that than find themselves in a tight spot and find they have no help.

Dread - x
Old Apr 9th 2012, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
I think that anyone taking on a move or affinity to another country o dual citizenship etc etc is very wise to check out their consular entitlements beforehand - better that than find themselves in a tight spot and find they have no help.

Dread - x
I must say in all these decades it is something I never thought of doing.
It was only after the law had changed and it no longer applied that I discovered that on marriage I had had, for a few years, Indian domicile. (As OH had Indian passport).
Some of us are not sensible!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.