Wikiposts

GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Went to the FRO in Panjim today with our shiny new X visas (NO 'Registration not required if ....' stamp). Went ready to argue that a) we should register b) wanted to and could be allowed to ... but no arguments needed. We were given the usual triplicate forms to fill in and a list of required documents**. We had most of them but missed entry stamp as well as visa copy so a few more bucks to the xerox shop. After a couple of minor quibbles (phone no's on top of form, and 'retired' not adequate - retired what?) the forms were accepted - "come back in one week the Residential Permits will be ready".
N.B. I can't be absolutely sure that this will now be normal procedure for FN's with 1-year X visas 'cos the senior front desk guy recognised us (even remembered our name - impressive!) and that may have affected things (previously with the 'Registration Not needed if...' stamp on the visa the FRO used to say 'come back when it's nearly six months').

AndyD 8-)#

** On the back was the list for Business visas - so glad I don't have to jump through those hoops!
All the people I know on Business Visas choose to leave the country before 180 days cos it`s easier than registering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

jcbrum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by msj5
All the people I know on Business Visas choose to leave the country before 180 days cos it`s easier than registering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's what we do, the amount of paperwork required to register on a business visa is ridiculous.So unless your are running a multi crore business you want have the necessary documents anyway.

John
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

HollowMan is a jewel in the roughHollowMan is a jewel in the roughHollowMan is a jewel in the roughHollowMan is a jewel in the roughHollowMan is a jewel in the rough

[
I believe Chris Gregory has recently been in UK - anybody know what address he was using?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:44 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HollowMan
[
I believe Chris Gregory has recently been in UK - anybody know what address he was using?
The Colchester Detective should be able to obtain that information via the County Court at Cambridge I believe.
He would need to send them a DP2 data application form.

Dread - x
Old Oct 12th 2011, 1:13 am
Just Joined

HollowMan is a jewel in the roughHollowMan is a jewel in the roughHollowMan is a jewel in the roughHollowMan is a jewel in the roughHollowMan is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone know anything of a Michael J PAGE - he was using the same Coast Road address as Chris Gregory and appears in some cases to have taken money on CG's behalf. Please send me PM if you can help with the part of the investigation
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:41 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know anything of a Michael J PAGE - he was using the same Coast Road address as Chris Gregory and appears in some cases to have taken money on CG's behalf. Please send me PM if you can help with the part of the investigation

I have personally spoken with the investigating detective at Colchester CID and this is a genuine request to help a Police investigation against Chris GREGORY.
If anyone has any information about Michael PAGE in relation to dealings with GREGORY, I urge you to come forward.
For all the people who feel aggrieved because of Chris GREGORY, now is the time to come forward.

Dread - x
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Next question - anybody know if Chris Grgeory's solicitor was called Roger Hart?
Old Oct 13th 2011, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

dugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura about

Next question - anybody know if Chris Gregory's solicitor was called Roger Hart?
Hi Hollowman,

Yes Roger Hart was his supposed solicitor (now retired) but he was actually only a Notary which is not a full blown solicitor as far as I can make out(Law Society description below). I paid all my monies to Chris through him and did try to get my monies back by taking him to the Notaries Society for unfair trading!! They did have a meeting of the Societies committee but decided that if I felt that I was unfairly treated I would need to take him to court using a solicitor!!! Basically they all stick together.

Notaries public
Notaries public undertake work for private individuals, and for commercial firms engaged in international trade. Their services typically include
preparing and witnessing powers of attorney for use overseas
dealing with purchase or sale of land and property abroad
providing documents to deal with the administration of the estate of people who are abroad, or owning property abroad
authenticating personal documents and information for immigration or emigration purposes, or to apply to marry or to work abroad
authenticating company and business documents and transactions
Most notaries are solicitors.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 3:00 am

Hi Dugmorephil

Thank you for that information. Very useful.
If you still have a contact number and address for the Notaries Society, can you please post it or send it to Hollowman or myself by pm.

Thanks

Dread - x
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 2:23 am
Just Joined

urban karma has a brilliant futureurban karma has a brilliant futureurban karma has a brilliant futureurban karma has a brilliant futureurban karma has a brilliant futureurban karma has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi Bryson7,

Thanks for that, goa and india are on the one hand wonderful places, but on the other hand very much third world.

Regarding my departure, I quickly worked out that i didnt want a tourist visa anyway as i definitely wouldnt have had residency on it and i wanted to sell the house( not surprisingly) .If i just left ( as i did) i may have retained residency for a while and may be able to sell the house? ( see other D posts)

They did in fact give us fourteen days to leave, nice people that they are.

In light of both my personal experience and some daily knowledge gleaned from the english language newspaper the herald, goans and indians go to church and temple regularly , they are family orientated, modest in dress and are often warm and freindly ( especialy to tourists).

They also hang tourists from mango trees, murder priests, bugger two year old babies, kidnap and murder their freinds, take bribes from terrorists to import arms and explosives, murder young brides( est 8000 to 25000 a year) bludgeon other family members to death over land and gold trinkets , riot and burn over religion and territory etc.

Government officers often buy their jobs and they are promoted on payment of further fees, so the standard of competence is low versus recruitment and selection on merit ( which we naturaly presume and expect). Furthermore after buying their jobs they then proceed to extort money from their hapless petitioners in order to pay of the loan shark thet lent them money to buy the job in the first place!( we dont expect that either) .

Thats the real goa too, please all of you balance it out against the whacky and shacky.

I think there may also be an element of reciprocation here as you say, we throw some doctors out and they exclude douglas. Everyone is vulnerable under the visa system, if your thinking of going there long term dont, if youre already there start preparing to leave

douglas

Phew! Bang on!
I hope every FN has read this and taken this seriously.
I visit Goa every year and have witnessed the rapid destruction over the last 30 years!
Ever wonder, "Garbage"..... wonder who picks it up?
Don't you get it? it's a lawless place, no civic sense, no traffic laws, no environmental consciousness, no regard for "Anything".
Court cases will never be heard there's terrorism, religion and caste wars everywhere. Even our good old goans do not marry other Goans if the caste does not match ( that goes for the "Jesus" people too!)
There is no system, no adherence, and nobody gives a damn shit about poverty! Democracy is a failure and Politicians are not "Elected" anymore.
They some how pass the baton amongst themselves.
Still want to retire there?

Want to know what most Indians think of "Foreigners"?
"Penny pinchers and Junkies"
SAD !
There are too many economic segments of people ( very very poor, very poor, poor, not so poor,used to be poor,sometimes poor, not sure if im poor, act like I'm poor phew! met a foreigner today so...... lol! wonder when I'll even get to middle class!
And all FN's are Red Riding Hoods walking around with their baskets of goodies!
I am glad I left when I did! YOU CAN CHANGE YOURSELVES BUT YOU CANNOT CHANGE OTHERS!

Now I go there as a visitor until my parents need me.

Property issue! Hmm!

" You cannot beat the law" " No one will listen" " Your bullet points pleas and petitions and trips to various authorities is an waste of time!"

This is not the Western World where everything is structured. In Goa, all authorities function independently and are unaware of what the others are upto! So laws differ, or are unclear!

"Why did RB accept our money when they knew it was for buying immovable property in India"?

Really? you want an answer to that?
Any stupid Indian will answer that question without flinching!
"RB is not a law making body and will not disallow transfer of funds if it is meant for a legal activity"
or
"RB is not responsible for property matters and cannot be held accountable for legislations"
or
"That guy who allowed it is now retired or transferred so what can we do?"

Get it? still don't ? fight these statements for the next 30 years!

Did any of you guy's buy with 60/40 ratio? black/white? kicking the dog are we? I hope not!

I am unsure of whether you can just sell your properties to ever willing Indians and walk away with what you get and if that is the simple answer at all?
Can someone post some alternatives on how to recover the money, rather than trying to keep the properties?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:20 am

Hi Urban Karma

Welcome to the Goa forum and thank you for such an honest and outspoken post.
I wasn't sure whether some of the comments in your post mean you are an Indian or Goan who lives outside of India, or whether you are a Westerner who has spent lots of time in Goa ?
Whatever - I enjoyed your refreshing and insightful remarks, and is a reminder to others who even consider purchasing in Goa. There are still some who see only the tourist tip of the iceberg and not the big bulky mess beneath it. Often it is not until you end up buying a property that you have to actually see the murky side of a destination.

Dread - x
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by urban karma
Phew! Bang on!
I hope every FN has read this and taken this seriously.
I visit Goa every year and have witnessed the rapid destruction over the last 30 years!
Ever wonder, "Garbage"..... wonder who picks it up?
Don't you get it? it's a lawless place, no civic sense, no traffic laws, no environmental consciousness, no regard for "Anything".
Court cases will never be heard there's terrorism, religion and caste wars everywhere. Even our good old goans do not marry other Goans if the caste does not match ( that goes for the "Jesus" people too!)
There is no system, no adherence, and nobody gives a damn shit about poverty! Democracy is a failure and Politicians are not "Elected" anymore.
They some how pass the baton amongst themselves.
Still want to retire there?

Want to know what most Indians think of "Foreigners"?
"Penny pinchers and Junkies"
SAD !
There are too many economic segments of people ( very very poor, very poor, poor, not so poor,used to be poor,sometimes poor, not sure if im poor, act like I'm poor phew! met a foreigner today so...... lol! wonder when I'll even get to middle class!
And all FN's are Red Riding Hoods walking around with their baskets of goodies!
I am glad I left when I did! YOU CAN CHANGE YOURSELVES BUT YOU CANNOT CHANGE OTHERS!

Now I go there as a visitor until my parents need me.

Property issue! Hmm!

" You cannot beat the law" " No one will listen" " Your bullet points pleas and petitions and trips to various authorities is an waste of time!"

This is not the Western World where everything is structured. In Goa, all authorities function independently and are unaware of what the others are upto! So laws differ, or are unclear!

"Why did RB accept our money when they knew it was for buying immovable property in India"?

Really? you want an answer to that?
Any stupid Indian will answer that question without flinching!
"RB is not a law making body and will not disallow transfer of funds if it is meant for a legal activity"
or
"RB is not responsible for property matters and cannot be held accountable for legislations"
or
"That guy who allowed it is now retired or transferred so what can we do?"

Get it? still don't ? fight these statements for the next 30 years!

Did any of you guy's buy with 60/40 ratio? black/white? kicking the dog are we? I hope not!

I am unsure of whether you can just sell your properties to ever willing Indians and walk away with what you get and if that is the simple answer at all?
Can someone post some alternatives on how to recover the money, rather than trying to keep the properties?
A somewhat negative post.
How many Indian people have you met and discussed their attitude to foreigners?? In order to judge what most think. My experience in the last 44 years has been quite different.

We all know that Goa has deteriorated, in part this must be due to the self-destructing element of mass tourism, the clock cannot be put back.
As to property problems this is due to the corrupt Congress Government and their appointees, not the fault of 'ordinary people'. Why are they voted in? a subject perhaps too complex for a Forum but mainly due to the fact that they have the money to buy votes and also the faults in the electoral system. In my experience many Indian people are sympathetic to the property owners, in fact those outside Goa find the situation difficult to believe.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by urban karma
Phew! Bang on!...
Phew indeed - must have taken a bit of work to find Douglas's rusty old cage to rattle - who lit your touchpaper?

AndyD 8-)#
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:54 am
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Talking Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Phew indeed - who lit your touchpaper?

AndyD 8-)#
Who or what: kingfisher strong, Romanov, blue riband, old monk, honey bee etc etc etc. No offence intended to the OP but it did read like a bit of a drunken rant to me.

H.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hemingway
... it did read like a bit of a drunken rant to me.

H.
well - we all need one of those from time to time (and don't ask me about BSNL ....)

AndyD 8-)#

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.