Wikiposts

GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 5:11 am
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Talking Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Originally Posted by a_f_d
well - we all need one of those from time to time (and don't ask me about BSNL ....)

AndyD 8-)#
I've just read posts on TA by someone slating BSNL - apparently a service has gone off line/failed/been suspended & shows no sign of bring resurrected anytime soon, yet BSNL are continuing to take the Rs1900 per month direct debit!

So if your gripe is connected to that, I can understand why you are f**ked off with them.

H.

Last edited by hemingway; Oct 22nd 2011 at 5:13 am. Reason: Bloody predictive text on iPhones!
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:21 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Originally Posted by Bipat
A somewhat negative post.
How many Indian people have you met and discussed their attitude to foreigners?? In order to judge what most think. My experience in the last 44 years has been quite different.

We all know that Goa has deteriorated, in part this must be due to the self-destructing element of mass tourism, the clock cannot be put back.
As to property problems this is due to the corrupt Congress Government and their appointees, not the fault of 'ordinary people'. Why are they voted in? a subject perhaps too complex for a Forum but mainly due to the fact that they have the money to buy votes and also the faults in the electoral system. In my experience many Indian people are sympathetic to the property owners, in fact those outside Goa find the situation difficult to believe.
I think there is a definite distinction between two elements here, one being the experience one has with 'most' Indian people when living among locals within a community, and in your case being married into that community/family, the other being that experienced by those who spend long periods of time among the 'most' Indian people who frequent/work/loiter etc around the tourist belt sharking for whatever they can get.
Perhaps the word 'most' is the contention here - taken into the context of either yours or Urban Karma's posts, one can actually see both points of view.
It depends on where you hang out, what element of society you meet, and what experience and perception the individual person has.

You are right in one thing, a heck of a lot of Indian people are aghast at the Goa property scandal, however this so often overshadowed when you consider what is so often placed in the public arena - Politicians' anti foreigner antics, Mr G,Hate and his followers, the Oherald letters page on some days, media coverage of property confiscations, politicians criminal antics, well publicised corruption etc etc..........
Put that together with property buyers' personal encounters with bent builders, cheating property agents, immoral legal representatives, less than scrupulous bank employees, then add the white skin tax, and those of 'anti foreign' persuasion being more overt with their opinions than the most Indians who are anything but anti, and it is easy to see why so many people form opinions as expressed by Urban K.

Even where perhaps the use of a word, in this case the word 'most', can be actually inaccurate it does not make it a less sad indictment for Goa and the Goan people, and one day this sad indictment may just render itself a sad epitaph for a once popular tourist destination.

How great could that country become if MOST Indian people stood up and made themselves heard over the unpleasant minority who make the public represenatation?

Dread - x
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:26 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
I think there is a definite distinction between two elements here, one being the experience one has with 'most' Indian people when living among locals within a community, and in your case being married into that community/family, the other being that experienced by those who spend long periods of time among the 'most' Indian people who frequent/work/loiter etc around the tourist belt sharking for whatever they can get.
Perhaps the word 'most' is the contention here - taken into the context of either yours or Urban Karma's posts, one can actually see both points of view.
It depends on where you hang out, what element of society you meet, and what experience and perception the individual person has.

You are right in one thing, a heck of a lot of Indian people are aghast at the Goa property scandal, however this so often overshadowed when you consider what is so often placed in the public arena - Politicians' anti foreigner antics, Mr G,Hate and his followers, the Oherald letters page on some days, media coverage of property confiscations, politicians criminal antics, well publicised corruption etc etc..........
Put that together with property buyers' personal encounters with bent builders, cheating property agents, immoral legal representatives, less than scrupulous bank employees, then add the white skin tax, and those of 'anti foreign' persuasion being more overt with their opinions than the most Indians who are anything but anti, and it is easy to see why so many people form opinions as expressed by Urban K.

Even where perhaps the use of a word, in this case the word 'most', can be actually inaccurate it does not make it a less sad indictment for Goa and the Goan people, and one day this sad indictment may just render itself a sad epitaph for a once popular tourist destination.

How great could that country become if MOST Indian people stood up and made themselves heard over the unpleasant minority who make the public represenatation?

Dread - x
Excellent post, must say I agree with you 100%
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:37 am
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Talking Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Dread - x
Dread,

I think your post was well thought out & well written. I also think prejudices, racism, corruption, bureaucracy & the caste system will hold India back for decades if not centuries to come.

In my limited experience of India, I'ver learnt that it is pointless fighting the frustrations that you come up against, you have to think about the situation & come up with a workaround & so far, there always seem s to be one.

H.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Dread - x
I think on reflection that Hem and Andy were right in that the original post by Urban K could possibly have been a drunken rant and not to be taken seriously.
In reply to your post above, I see what you mean by the Goan situation but Indian people as a whole cannot be judged by those concerned with tourism. I don't have figures for the percentage of the billion who are involved. Goa is a very small state!
Many Indian people do protest as best they can; what about the ongoing anti-corruption movement? It is still very much going on. Do you watch NDTV at all? it is very informative
Most people just try to get on with their lives as best they can, grumbling about the government but not being able to do much. One could possibly argue that the Goa have been spoilt/ corrupted by the possibilities of money that mass tourism brings, and this has happened elsewhere.
As an after thought what is your opinion of expolice chief Kiran Bedi??
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 10:27 am
Just Joined

urban karma has a brilliant futureurban karma has a brilliant futureurban karma has a brilliant futureurban karma has a brilliant futureurban karma has a brilliant futureurban karma has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Bipat;9689719]A somewhat negative post.
How many Indian people have you met and discussed their attitude to foreigners?? In order to judge what most think.

Surprise!!!

URBAN KARMA -> Goan raised in Mumbai ......
moved out! Now Canadian.......

Hope that answers your question :-)

No drunken Rant buddy! I have inside information :-)
Foreigners will remain Foreigners in India and you will never know the truth... not in the circles you move in!
The truth hurts and I said it!

No disrespect to anyone but the point I'm trying to make is
"Please don't waste any more time and money on this property charade and collectively start figuring out how to get your money back instead of getting the property!"

Anyways, I think you guys are awesome! I live in the west and am glad!

NOW I'M A FOREIGNER MYSELF!
LOL!

I need a visa to visit every year and the VHF office in toronto is a constant reaffirmation of the wise decision I made to get out of there!

Peace!

Last edited by urban karma; Oct 22nd 2011 at 10:31 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=urban karma;9690069]
How many Indian people have you met and discussed their attitude to foreigners?? In order to judge what most think.

Surprise!!!

Foreigners will remain Foreigners in India and you will never know the truth... not in the circles you move in!

"Please don't waste any more time and money on this property charade and collectively start figuring out how to get your money back instead of getting the property!"

LOL!

I need a visa to visit every year and the VHF office in toronto is a constant reaffirmation of the wise decision I made to get out of there!

Peace!
Interesting that you lived in Mumbai, which area? I have relatives living
in many 'circles' there and move amongst them regularly. Although closest live in Chembur/ Ghatkopar area.
Sad that you feel this way about your birth country although some on this forum seem to have a low opinion of their country the UK. Isn't there good and bad in all countries?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:31 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hemingway
Dread,

I think your post was well thought out & well written. I also think prejudices, racism, corruption, bureaucracy & the caste system will hold India back for decades if not centuries to come.

In my limited experience of India, I'ver learnt that it is pointless fighting the frustrations that you come up against, you have to think about the situation & come up with a workaround & so far, there always seem s to be one.

H.
Totally agree Hem.

Dread - x
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:34 am

[QUOTE=urban karma;9690069]

Surprise!!!

LOL!

Peace!
Urban Karma - I reckon that qualifies and quantifies your earlier post having grown up there. Personally I liked your post as it came acfross as very heartfelt to me.

Dread - x
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:26 pm

I think on reflection that Hem and Andy were right in that the original post by Urban K could possibly have been a drunken rant and not to be taken seriously.
In reply to your post above, I see what you mean by the Goan situation but Indian people as a whole cannot be judged by those concerned with tourism. I don't have figures for the percentage of the billion who are involved. Goa is a very small state!
Many Indian people do protest as best they can; what about the ongoing anti-corruption movement? It is still very much going on. Do you watch NDTV at all? it is very informative
Most people just try to get on with their lives as best they can, grumbling about the government but not being able to do much. One could possibly argue that the Goa have been spoilt/ corrupted by the possibilities of money that mass tourism brings, and this has happened elsewhere.
As an after thought what is your opinion of expolice chief Kiran Bedi??

Yes 'many' do protest Bipat, but they are a distinct minority among the masses. The Anti Corruption movement is to be admired and they certainly are raising issues into the public domain (not before time), but their membership to population ratio is pretty low. There are obviously some of the populous who have to survive poverty and sufference, but that does not account for this ratio.

There are many parts of India other than Goa which are hugely popular tourist and traveller destinations. Unfortunately many of the traits seen in Goa are overtly apparent in these parts of India too - the price signs which differentiate between the Indian and the foreigner, the persitent hawkers who hound the visitor, the 'fleece me with your smile' touts ready to con the tourist, and that's after the sheer grief of the visa process before the trip even begins.

Again this illustrates how the different opinions can be formed - what the 'average' visitor sees on the face of India is from what they see in tourist areas so that is the perception they take of India. People opine from what they see and experience, so there will be a different perspective than those like yourself who have integrated into a community away fom the tourist belt.

The point I make is that peoples perceptions and views come from what they encounter, so different forms and levels of encounter will bring about opposing opinions.

When viewed in this context, then it becomes less a matter of accuracy or fact and more a matter of reasonably formed subjectivity.

Dread - x
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes 'many' do protest Bipat, but they are a distinct minority among the masses. The Anti Corruption movement is to be admired and they certainly are raising issues into the public domain (not before time), but their membership to population ratio is pretty low. There are obviously some of the populous who have to survive poverty and sufference, but that does not account for this ratio.

There are many parts of India other than Goa which are hugely popular tourist and traveller destinations. Unfortunately many of the traits seen in Goa are overtly apparent in these parts of India too - the price signs which differentiate between the Indian and the foreigner, the persitent hawkers who hound the visitor, the 'fleece me with your smile' touts ready to con the tourist, and that's after the sheer grief of the visa process before the trip even begins.

Again this illustrates how the different opinions can be formed - what the 'average' visitor sees on the face of India is from what they see in tourist areas so that is the perception they take of India. People opine from what they see and experience, so there will be a different perspective than those like yourself who have integrated into a community away fom the tourist belt.

The point I make is that peoples perceptions and views come from what they encounter, so different forms and levels of encounter will bring about opposing opinions.

When viewed in this context, then it becomes less a matter of accuracy or fact and more a matter of reasonably formed subjectivity.

Dread - x
Agree with you absolutely about the perceptions and views of 'tourists', if they don't visit India twice who can blame them. (Although I still disagree about the different entry prices)
But-- this is an expat forum, people who have chosen to live in India, one would hope that they would also integrate and perhaps agree that more than 'some' suffer poverty and do not have the resources or energy to protest in public about corruption. The corrupt Nehru Dynasty just rolls on unfortunately.
Many expats do settle and join in to the extent that they 'hate tourists' Joke referring to the other thread!!
My personal hope (leaving aside property problems) is that expats could actually enjoy their time in India, and on the forum there could be discussion about politics, music, history etc. etc. from the expat point of view and not just negativity. Perhaps a 'thread' could start, but would there be any response??
(Incidentally I mentioned the activist Kiran Bedi, she has done amazing things in her life, but listening to her speak I sometimes wish she would just 'shut up' for a while.)
B.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by noni
Excellent post, must say I agree with you (dreadsoc) 100%
Hear hear! - if you take your view of India entirely from Urban Karma's post (including the Douglas quote) then imho you will get a completely wrong view of India. If on the other hand you just dismiss the post then you will get a completely wrong view of India!

AndyD 8-)#
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:39 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Hear hear! - if you take your view of India entirely from Urban Karma's post (including the Douglas quote) then imho you will get a completely wrong view of India. If on the other hand you just dismiss the post then you will get a completely wrong view of India!

AndyD 8-)#
Eloquently put Oh! if only Douglas would return. He should be our PM all his predictions have come true, wish he could say when we would come out of the recession.

p.s. and when to transfer money to Goa
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by noni
Eloquently put Oh! if only Douglas would return. He should be our PM all his predictions have come true, wish he could say when we would come out of the recession.

p.s. and when to transfer money to Goa
Agree about Andy's post, but you have just confirmed Dread's post about seeing things differently, (or what you want to see) according to personal experience of India.
Andy's post also said that Douglas and and Urban Karma's posts could give a completely wrong view about India!!
Obviously that was the bit that I liked
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 10:40 pm

Agree about Andy's post, but you have just confirmed Dread's post about seeing things differently, (or what you want to see) according to personal experience of India.
Andy's post also said that Douglas and and Urban Karma's posts could give a completely wrong view about India!!
Obviously that was the bit that I liked
What I said Bipat was "eloquently put". You ought to read Douglas' posts, he had a fantastic insight into the future.

Last edited by noni; Oct 22nd 2011 at 10:44 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.