GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Calangute,Goa (October -May) Pattaya,Thailand (May-Oct)
enfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really nice
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

A nil encumberance certificate is a document required by some buyers advocates to prove that there are no outstanding loans or mortgages on the property.In my view it is about as good as a certificate to prove that you are sane ,or not married.
Also it is like a stocktake,the truth is only correct at the point in time at which it is issued, as you could go and obtain a loan on the property,the day following obtaining the certificate.
You go to the sub-Registrar behind the Market in Mapusa (near Poshaks) to get the relevant form ,then they will tell you what particular hoops you have to jump through on that particular day.
It must have been very exhilarating when the sale eventually went through,just as it is when you get a vehicle or your electricity bill in your name or a new 5 year X visa etc.
It is the end of a long torturous road, which should have been be much easier but somehow you are so grateful .Well Done.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

hi
Yes i did register my deeds in 2003,which i suppose has made things abit!!! easier, a NEC is to prove that you havent taken a loan out on the property which is a joke as no FN can get a loan, and beware it only lasts for 6 months then you have to repeat the process all over again.
as for answer to last post we brought our property because we were (thought) we'd be here till we popped our clogs and as we used the money from the sale of our house in UK it would have been something to leave the kids.
I disagree with the comment about a rented home being better option as you pay all that rent for years(if your lucky enough to be able to rent for longterm, do it up make it comfortable then get turfed out,there is no stability, but the buying option went tits up to so you cant really win.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

thatman will become famous soon enoughthatman will become famous soon enough

And to add to what poppetjay said the reason we bought was because we lived in rented property where the landlord would not lease it to us - would not let us leave our belongings there when we left and as they were getting more and more it was difficult to store them but we liked where we lived. When we live somewhere for 7 or 8 months of the year we want a nice living environment not uncomfortable beds and someone elses bedding, cooking on 2 gas rings and using old pots and pans. We wanted a nice fitted kitchen, comfy furniture and sky tv so we bought a flat and are quite happy with it despite all this hassle which quite honestly goes over the OH's head and she will not worry about it until she has to.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 4:31 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hockeyhairdo
Why buy when you can rent?

Why does British tourists neccesary have to buy property everywhere, just rent like the rest of the world.

It is cheaper, less commitment, less trouble generally, more flexible if you want to move.

It is not that you will actually enjoy a house less just because it is rented, in fact nobody wil know if you rent of own the property.

Just explain to me this obsession with buying everything we see.

It is not like you can take it with you to your final destination anyway...
In my experience, it's just the British way - we don't rent things, where possible we want to buy things then at some point we actually 'own' them.

Similarly what we live in - ideally, Britain (England in particular) being by and large the small congested island that it is, we should have built 'up' (i.e. flats)and not have built 'out' (i.e. houses) like we did, but we like to be different, just like driving on the left!

Regards

Hemingway.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 4:48 pm
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

I have rented in Goa for the past 5 years (same flat), its worked out fine.
Of course i fixed the flat up, as i wanted it, painted it myself twice.
I furnished it, the rent is so minimal, and im careful.
I could have bought as i was one of the lucky ones, that got a 5 year x :visa.
My motto, dont buy in a country you need visas, things can change so quick.
Lots of tears now, im still laughing.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

thatman will become famous soon enoughthatman will become famous soon enough

I'm still laughing but not smug stevebenaulim
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:16 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thatman
I'm still laughing but not smug stevebenaulim
Thatman - not the 1st time I think we've 'landed on the same wavelength' -

must admit to thinking, that I hope 'Stevebenaulim' is not laughing at those shedding the tears. . . . . . . . . . . . .

I too am laughing, BUT CERTAINLY NOT at the situation or the people concerned (me included) in Goa.

Hemingway
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:36 am
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

No not laughing at the people shredding the tears, as i have friends
in the same boat.
Just laughing that im happy.
Easy to say now, but when i got the 5 year visa, lots of friends etc,
said now is the time to buy.
No i rented, never regreted it.
Lived abroad on and off since the 80s, learnt never buy in a country
you need a visa.
Ive been in Goa, a long time and been asked my advice on many things over
the years, ive adviced many people (when asked) against buying, but most still go ahead and buy anyway.
The answer, if the agents can sell to us, it must be legal.
Good luck to you all.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

More is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by poppetjay
I did indeed sell to an indian, and i was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get the certificate and how helpful and polite the man was in the registrar's office was,couldnt have been more helpful
Hi Pppetjay,

Great to hear that things are going your way at last. I am a bit confused though, as yesterday I spoke to my advocate and he stressed to me that a FN cannot sell even to an Indian. He was adamant that the register is still closed to FN. I informed him that a friend had completed her sale 3 weeks ago and he said the only way it can be done is to sell the Agreement of sale back to the builder. I know she had her deeds so I am really confused. Has anyone got any answers?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:18 pm
A little honey

Honey Bee is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=More;6727516]Hi Pppetjay,

Great to hear that things are going your way at last. I am a bit confused though, as yesterday I spoke to my advocate and he stressed to me that a FN cannot sell even to an Indian. He was adamant that the register is still closed to FN. I informed him that a friend had completed her sale 3 weeks ago and he said the only way it can be done is to sell the Agreement of sale back to the builder. I know she had her deeds so I am really confused. Has anyone got any answers?[/QUO

lets see what poppet says, think it is another case of Advocates not knowing there arse from their elbows. Do you think they actually do their ''articles out there.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

ANDYRU is an unknown quantity at this point

lets see what poppet says, think it is another case of Advocates not knowing there arse from their elbows. Do you think they actually do their ''articles out there.[/QUOTE]

hi all

We were recently told by our advocate that the Goa Government had issued 'unofficial' instructions to all advocates to "drag their feet as much as possible when dealing with foreigners and their property sales".

Our advocate was pretty disgusted with the whole thing, but obviously some advocates are taking this direction on board.

The fact remains that it IS possible to sell and the registry IS now dealing with foreigner sales.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

I can only speak for myself i have been given the go ahead, my friend was informed by her advocate in no uncertain terms FNs are not wanted here so let them sell, two other friends have sold in the last 8 weeks,
I did wonder if it had anything to do with the fact we all have been living here permantly for the past 8 years or so,just a thought
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

erinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really nice

Poppetjay: So pleased for you. Congratulations on the sale. Bet you are so relieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for us Brits needing to buy property, I agree it is some deep seated need that drives us to be almost obsessive about buying property. ( me included).
Most people spend all their working lives striving to repay their mortgages. You don't see the same frenetic efforts in other countries ( at least not to the level that is the norm in the UK).

I spent many years working as an ex pat and none of my local colleagues in any of the countires I was posted too had this strong urge to buy. They all rented quite happily. As an ex pat I found myself having to rent too. Yes it was very flexible and I had quite some free time because I wasn't bogged down with house maintenance. BUt I found it hard not to be able to have a home just how I wanted it ( despite having my own furniture) The first thing I did on relocating back to the UK was BUY a house. The first thing I did here was BUY a flat ( at least that was the theory). And of course I regret that now but what's done is done. I agree with you that I would now recommend very strongly that renting is the answer.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:19 am
I love apathy!

Default Govt to investigate cheap land deals to foreigners

From today's herald:

http://www.oheraldo.in/pagedetails.asp?nid=9160&cid=2

A short extract from the article: The discussion on the issue of land sale to foreigners came up during question hour where Kamat informed the House that 175 cases are still under investigations while around 100 cases of sales to PIOs were found to be clear of FEMA violations. . . . . . . mmmmmmm??????

Regards

Hemingway
Old Sep 1st 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ANDYRU
lets see what poppet says, think it is another case of Advocates not knowing there arse from their elbows. Do you think they actually do their ''articles out there.
hi all

We were recently told by our advocate that the Goa Government had issued 'unofficial' instructions to all advocates to "drag their feet as much as possible when dealing with foreigners and their property sales".

Our advocate was pretty disgusted with the whole thing, but obviously some advocates are taking this direction on board.

The fact remains that it IS possible to sell and the registry IS now dealing with foreigner sales.
just heard from my lawyer in Goa:
He confirms that sales of property owned by foreigners is now allowed.

Perhaps he's being tactful, but he says he's "not really aware of the other unofficial instructions".

hth AndyD 8-)#

Last edited by a_f_d; Sep 1st 2008 at 3:32 pm. Reason: quotes &c.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.