Winnipeg

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:52 pm
God

NickyP84 will become famous soon enoughNickyP84 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Winnipeg

Originally Posted by livermanl
What street is this place?
It's directly opposite the entrance to Assiniboine Park on Portage. You can't miss it.

When it's 45 degrees in mid-july, their ice cream tastes like heaven!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

ADAMC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
A reasonable alternative to Strongbow might be Rock Creek Cider by Big Rock Brewery if it's available in Manitoba.

It's definitely not Strongbow but it's also not Strongbow pricing either at $9.75 for a six pack of 355ml cans.

It is better that Okanagan or Growers ciders.
I think I did see this in the MLCC at the weekend so must give it a try. The MLCC have started selling Magners Irish Cider now too, around $4 a can.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

ADAMC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
If your a Strongbow fan, don't get too excited. The Manitoba Liquor Commission treats Strongbow as if it were a wine, so its a silly price. It is available in bottles, The Kings Head used to have it on draft, but I believe they have now taken it out, as no one could afford it.

You will find the NONE of the bars here are like a UK pub, no matter how hard they try to look like one. There are several reason for this, most of them are cultural, the British Pub, like the French Cafe, have grown up over 100`s of years with a culture and customs all of their own. Plus the licencing laws are considerably different.
The English pubs here are definitely just based on a theme and are not the same as back home. The Elephant & Castle downtown looked at me with blank faces when I arrived to watch the Rugby World Cup final last year - they weren't even aware that the tournament existed let alone that England were in the final. To their credit they did ring around every bar in Winnipeg trying to find it but to no avail.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:06 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ADAMC
The English pubs here are definitely just based on a theme and are not the same as back home. The Elephant & Castle downtown looked at me with blank faces when I arrived to watch the Rugby World Cup final last year - they weren't even aware that the tournament existed let alone that England were in the final. To their credit they did ring around every bar in Winnipeg trying to find it but to no avail.
The Brit Cafe will be showing Rugby & Soccer when possible. If you want to know what going to be on phone (663 3907) and talk to Hadley.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyP84
The city centre has nothing; and I can't stress that enough.
That's not uncommon of any North American downtown. Winnipeg does have a downtown shopping centre - Portage Place/City Place. Windsor has nowt

I know the ice cream place you mention but never stopped there. It's worth highlighting to newcomers though as it's full of idiots striding across the road to get there/kids stepping into road/queues snaking across road - a real hazard best avoided when you're contending with car/wheel wrong side problems
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:18 pm
God

The thing I could never get used to was the whole 'pedestrians have right of way' thing.

People just walk out in front of cars like they expect them to stop. It's so crazy that I've actually had to shout at several people after walking right out in front of Lisa (my wife) while she's driving.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:43 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ADAMC
Should have just phoned a local rugby club If I remember correctly it was in a couple of Clubhouses.

Mentioned on here
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:51 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Winnipeg in itself is a strange wee city in the sense that it doesn't really have much but what it does have it has in abundance. Is that Irish or what?

Coming from Belfast (a thriving, major european city) and going to live in Winnipeg for well over a year was a little shock. The city centre has nothing; and I can't stress that enough. It has a hockey arena and a university. That's it! In the UK, most amenities and what-have-you are situated in the centre. Not so in Winnipeg. Things are very spread out in Winnipeg.

So you missed the Royal Winnipeg Ballet - on Graham Ave -
You also failed to mention the Theaters or Night clubs, Cinema, Museums, Art Gallery, Earls, East Indian Co and the Forks all down town.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:01 pm
God

Originally Posted by Grah
So you missed the Royal Winnipeg Ballet - on Graham Ave -
You also failed to mention the Theaters or Night clubs, Cinema, Museums, Art Gallery, Earls, East Indian Co and the Forks all down town.

That's the point I was making

Winnipeg doesn't have a huge variation on amenities but what it does have, it has a lot of them

The best deal I've ever seen anywhere was Cinema City on McGillvary. Entrance into a movie for $0.50!!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Smyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really nice

Where in the city are you moving to? When I get back you'll have to buy me a drink

By the way, make a point of going to Sargent Sundae's opposite Assiniboine! You won't regret it!!
not to sure yet. but will find out soon! when you get back! i'm sure we'll sort something out
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:47 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smyth
not to sure yet. but will find out soon! when you get back! i'm sure we'll sort something out
The other "must visit`Ice Cream place is the "BDI" the Bridge Drive In on Jubilee, this is more famous, and some say better.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:50 pm
God

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
The other "must visit`Ice Cream place is the "BDI" the Bridge Drive In on Jubilee
I lived in St. James so Sgt. Sundae was pretty handy and easily beats Dairy Queen.

I'll have to check out this BDI when I head back over in August.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

What's the French one on Provencher called? It was pretty good.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:56 pm
God

I honestly can't wait to get back to Winnipeg. Not for the fact that Winnipeg's so great, but the fact that my wife lives there

I've had enough of being apart - it's seriously starting to crack me up! I know loads of people have it a lot tougher than me but I've only seen my wife twice in the past 9 months and to be honest, I'm not prepared to take it anymore.

Have to say I'm a bit peeved I'm gonna miss Judas Priest at the MTS on July 30th though!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:23 pm
RETIRED Realtor

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
What's the French one on Provencher called? It was pretty good.
The one thats on the corner or Provencher & Tache opposite the Bridge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.