Winnipeg

Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winnipeg

A word of warning: Winnipeg is still being built.
Attached Thumbnails Winnipeg-1877house2.jpg  
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:13 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Steve for that most excellent post, I couldn't have done it better myself ...
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:21 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dthomas
A word of warning: Winnipeg is still being built.
You sorta asked for it .......

Way more than you ever expected to know:-

This unassuming, mixed-use structure on the west side of Albert Street near Notre Dame Avenue consists of two parts – a house that dates back to a time when Winnipeg was little more than a pioneer village and a commercial addition built in the mid-1920s as the city recovered from World War I and several years of economic depression.

The two-storey, wood frame and brick veneer house, built for $2,000 by local contractor J.J. Johnston in 1877, was established as a rental property by investor-merchant John O. LeCappellain. He operated a wholesale/retail hardware business on Main Street in 1877-78 and also was employed with the Ashdown Hardware Co. He later became a City alderman (1881) and broker (1882).

In March 1882 during a speculative property boom, LeCappellain moved his house several feet to the south to make way for construction of a long, narrow, two-storey business block. He subsequently encountered financial difficulties, however, when collapse of the boom led to recession. In 1885, the Manitoba and North West Loan Co. assumed title to the site.

The house, which once contained a main-floor bay window, continued to accommodate residential tenants until shortly after the turn of the century when it was converted to commercial use by a new owner, agent R.H. Moody. Successive occupants included a weekly French-language newspaper called L'Echo de Manitoba, a messenger service and a tailor.

This conversion occurred during yet another boom in which much of the housing clustered near Main Street was displaced by warehouses, factories and other new business premises. For example, the St. Charles and Royal Albert hotels were developed in 1913 to the south and north of 44 Albert respectively, while across the street Jerry Robinson's department store was expanded (1902, 1905) and the 11-storey Electric Railway Chambers (1912-13) appeared at Albert and Notre Dame.

Although altered by rear additions and various interior changes, 44 Albert managed to survive this and later periods of physical renewal to stand as a rare example of both early brick veneer construction in Winnipeg and the residential phase of the Exchange District's evolution.

In 1924, the house became less visible to passers-by after it was encompassed by a one-storey, solid brick block with a flat roof. Designed and built by local contractor William A. Irish, this $7,000 structure was in the unadorned one-part commercial style attractive to investors because it provided a modest-cost, revenue-generating option for land being held in anticipation of future, higher-density redevelopment.

The addition initially contained four retail outlets occupied by Jimy's Barber Shop, tailor W.H. Drinkwater, Wymie Wiseman's watch shop, and J. and J. Taylor, safe works. The house, renumbered as 44 1/2 Albert, was returned to residential use.

Contractor Irish worked with John A. Saul from about the turn of the century to the late 1910s on projects such as the Galt and Ashdown warehouses, St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church (Elim Chapel), and La Verendrye School. The two also built numerous houses that they then sold or
used as rental properties. Both continued in the trade after dissolving their partnership.

Various shops, restaurants and other services leased 38-44 1/2 Albert from the 1920s onward. After ownership was transferred in c.1951 from a United States-based company to local entrepreneurs, the block's façade was altered and the number of retail outlets was reduced to three. At present, the space at 38-40 Albert features large display windows, polished tile above and a stuccoed side wall. The stores at 42-44 Albert are clothed by plain brick and large windows, with an upper panel of raised brick offering the only embellishment.

© City of Winnipeg 2006
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:46 am
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The Raging Brit 2615 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB

Apparently owned by our very own MB-Realtor's wife.
Checked out the site. If there were Jaffa cakes I might of been tempted to move 1 province east.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Smyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really nice

Originally Posted by gingnut
Checked out the site. If there were Jaffa cakes I might of been tempted to move 1 province east.
it looks like i will be heading there when i come over.
what about is there any irish pubs?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:28 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gingnut
I've seen Jaffa cakes at London Drugs try the one closest to you.

Or you can order them online $1.99 per package not includung shipping and handling of course.

Last edited by Steve_P; Jun 22nd 2008 at 4:14 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

ADAMC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smyth
There are about 4 or 5 Irish bars in Winnipeg - several downtown (Shannons, Finn McCues) plus a few more further out including a new one called Johnnie Fox's out on Academy Road that plays authentic diddly-dee music.

Also a few more English-themed pubs as well (King's Head in the Exchange, Toad in the Hole in Osbourne Village, Elephant & Castle downtown). All sell a range of Brit favourites: Bass, Newcastle Brown, Strongbow etc).
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:06 pm
RETIRED Realtor

Originally Posted by Smyth
Dillon O'Conners (an Irish pub) is right next door to Raging Brit.

Dillon caters to the younger crowd, The Brit to those who want better food and less noise
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:09 pm
RETIRED Realtor

The Toad in Osbourn Village is about as close to the feel of a British Pub as its is possible to get in Canada. The foods pretty good too.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:14 pm
God

NickyP84 will become famous soon enoughNickyP84 will become famous soon enough

Winnipeg in itself is a strange wee city in the sense that it doesn't really have much but what it does have it has in abundance. Is that Irish or what?

Coming from Belfast (a thriving, major european city) and going to live in Winnipeg for well over a year was a little shock. The city centre has nothing; and I can't stress that enough. It has a hockey arena and a university. That's it! In the UK, most amenities and what-have-you are situated in the centre. Not so in Winnipeg. Things are very spread out in Winnipeg.

What it does have though is nature and wildlife in abundance. It's beautiful and very tranquil if you live in the right area.

The weather systems are great. Super cold in the winter (I lost all feeling in my hands and feet before I had time to lace up my skates one night) and melting hot in the summer.

One thing about the Irish bars though - don't expect any Irish people! According to the manager of the Irish bar 2 minutes from my house I was the first Irish person ever actually in the place - I didn't care as it meant free drinks all night, just for being Irish!

The Raging Brit is cool and the girls that work there are pretty knowledgeable - prices are high (as you'd kinda expect) but they only have one problem! No Tayto Cheese and Onion!!

If you want to have a laugh check this video out. My wife and I made it to show what we got up to the first winter I was there - http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y5VbpLrtjJE

Hope the info is of some use to you.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:21 pm
RETIRED Realtor

If your a Strongbow fan, don't get too excited. The Manitoba Liquor Commission treats Strongbow as if it were a wine, so its a silly price. It is available in bottles, The Kings Head used to have it on draft, but I believe they have now taken it out, as no one could afford it.

You will find the NONE of the bars here are like a UK pub, no matter how hard they try to look like one. There are several reason for this, most of them are cultural, the British Pub, like the French Cafe, have grown up over 100`s of years with a culture and customs all of their own. Plus the licencing laws are considerably different.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Smyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really niceSmyth is just really nice

thanks for all the info. only 5 week and i'll be there and can'nt wait!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:39 pm
God

NickyP84 will become famous soon enoughNickyP84 will become famous soon enough

Where in the city are you moving to? When I get back you'll have to buy me a drink

By the way, make a point of going to Sargent Sundae's opposite Assiniboine! You won't regret it!!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:42 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyP84
Where in the city are you moving to? When I get back you'll have to buy me a drink

By the way, make a point of going to Sargent Sundae's opposite Assiniboine! You won't regret it!!
What street is this place?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:49 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
If your a Strongbow fan, don't get too excited. The Manitoba Liquor Commission treats Strongbow as if it were a wine, so its a silly price. It is available in bottles, The Kings Head used to have it on draft, but I believe they have now taken it out, as no one could afford it.
A reasonable alternative to Strongbow might be Rock Creek Cider by Big Rock Brewery if it's available in Manitoba.

It's definitely not Strongbow but it's also not Strongbow pricing either at $9.75 for a six pack of 355ml cans.

It is better that Okanagan or Growers ciders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.