Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Canada?

What's wrong with Canada?

Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
The English Patient is, btw, an interesting example to cite as a Canadian success. One needs the Canadian acceptance of prolonged nothingness in order to last through either the book or the film.

OK - I'll give you that I couldn't stand it either

Where's? Brit culture - Russel Brand, AL Murray,
Jimmy Carr? Funny har har - sure

But Brand's humour is redicularse, AL's a well paid gobshyte and Carr - (pause for effect) F*** you.

Does Brit culture exist in bar's coffee houses, den's of iniquity, church basements?

Or is it mostly in temples to culture? The galleries, the opera houses?

Is culture community or creativity:

If it's community - I'm sure you've seen it in frozen community rinks, Timmies, church basements and Canadian dens of iniquity.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:11 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You're in Canada now it's TIRE it's not misspelled it's just different get used to it.
Whilst we are on the subject of "tyres" and "tires" Canadian Tyre is wrong with Canada. I could not think of a worse place on the planet to get your tyres changed. It was the first time in my life I should of changed the tyres myself they were so slow and pathetic.

The worst thing is Canadian's love Canadian Tyre as much as they love Tim Horton's!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:17 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy

OK - I'll give you that I couldn't stand it either

Where's? Brit culture - Russel Brand, AL Murray,
Jimmy Carr? Funny har har - sure

But Brand's humour is redicularse, AL's a well paid gobshyte and Carr - (pause for effect) F*** you.

Does Brit culture exist in bar's coffee houses, den's of iniquity, church basements?

Or is it mostly in temples to culture? The galleries, the opera houses?

Is culture community or creativity:

If it's community - I'm sure you've seen it in frozen community rinks, Timmies, church basements and Canadian dens of iniquity.
I don't want to get drawn back into the culture debate that has been had on here too many times. British culture is unquestionable I can think of ton's of things that I consider to be uniquely British Culture.

The point that is being made is what is uniquely Canadian Culture? What differentiates Canadian Culture from the US?

In fact going back to the original question: What is wrong with Canada? The answer is perhaps that it lacks it's own culture and identity.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the key to Canadian culture is that it lacks the baggage associated with historical cultures such as tribalism, prejudice, nationalism, intolerance etc.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:34 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by flashman
Maybe the key to Canadian culture is that it lacks the baggage associated with historical cultures such as tribalism, prejudice, nationalism, intolerance etc.
All 4 of those things are alive and well in Canada and none of them are particularly different to anywhere else. Infact going back to the original question institutional racism in Canada is rife which is a major problem in Canada.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
The worst thing is Canadian's love Canadian Tyre as much as they love Tim Horton's!
That may be so, but, even then, I don't think anyone loves Canadian Tire. One hopes that no one but the shareholders could love a chain renowned for dirty stores, narrow aisles, immigrant workers and shoddy merchandise. Even the shareholders might baulk at enjoying Canadian Tire's reputation for poor quality car repairs at inflated prices. A bottom feeder in every regard.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:59 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
What differentiates Canadian Culture from the US?
Curling?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:08 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That may be so, but, even then, I don't think anyone loves Canadian Tire. One hopes that no one but the shareholders could love a chain renowned for dirty stores, narrow aisles, immigrant workers and shoddy merchandise. Even the shareholders might baulk at enjoying Canadian Tire's reputation for poor quality car repairs at inflated prices. A bottom feeder in every regard.
I've often seen anti-CT sentiments expressed on here and wondered why. Perhaps it's another example of things not being the same everywhere.

My father in law (in Quebec) has used them for years for his vehicle and is more than happy with them

I've not had that much experience with them, but the two stores I've used have not been dirty or cramped. I've been very happy with the lawnmower I bought in 2005 and the bike that cost the same in $$ as my (near identical) old one cost in ££ a few years earlier. Great value flatpack bookcases too.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:26 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is different in that, without the immigrants, life here is just a poor immitation of an episode of the Dukes of Hazzard. It's been the policy of Canadian governments for a generation that immigrants are welcome because they civilize the country.
I believe this contradicts the concept of modern Canada. If you really think that then you'd be better in the US. Canada is about multi-culturalism; the idea that, although people live here, their loyalty is to somewhere else. It's not that immigrants seek to convert the existing population to their way of life, rather that, although immigrants live and work here, we hold our noses in doing so. We wish to live as much as possible as if at home. This is what the Canadian government asks of us.
I am quite sure that you live in Southern Ontario, which is much different than other places in Canada. Multiculturalism is the very reason why you seem to see a cultural void. This is not a Canada wide phenomena and doesn't exist in other regions, except for maybe parts of the lower BC mainland. You keep asking for something that is specifically Canadian and I do not understand what that has to do with my point. Regardless of whether everything or nothing is uniquely "Canadian", there is already an existing culture. To be truthful it is very little concern of mine and most others of whether or not you like it, be careful the door doesn't hit you on the ass when you leave, if you finally decide to. It is already established that Canada is a North American culture. Even the Quebecois although primarily French speaking are North Americans and I feel more at home in Montreal then I ever would in Toronto. If you insist on pigeon holing something, well, since you already said hockey then I will say tuque.

Multiculturalism in Canada started as bi culturalism (Trudeau) and was latched on to by the liberal tree hugging crowd 40 or so years ago who didn't want anybody to be offended again, ever. The policy took hold in the GTA (tree huger paradise) area where many of the more recent immigrants have moved to, particularly Asian immigrants. Ghetto's began to form and became larger. Basically the GTA was eating many more immigrants than it could digest. I have nothing against people of different races just so that you don't confue me for something I am not. Where I live immigrants are assimilated and add to the existing culture, they don't avoid it. This is a melting pot. The rest of Canada will not let multiculturalism happen, especially them Quebecios.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUzY7tNEFg0

oh and I like the Dukes of Hazard too, lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEnE4nakqW4

oh, and perhaps a little pride, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afci7osf2Rg

Last edited by Lord Vader; Mar 7th 2009 at 4:36 am.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
I am quite sure that you live in Southern Ontario, which is much different than other places in Canada. Multiculturalism is the very reason why you seem to see a cultural void.
I don't see a void, I see many cultures coexisting and competing. I commend the Canadians of the Trudeau era for realizing that inviting immigrants to keep their cultures was a way to bring life to Hogtown.

This is not a Canada wide phenomena and doesn't exist in other regions, except for maybe parts of the lower BC mainland.
You mean that there are some redneck backwoods where the spirit of the country is not yet embraced. However, even in the most remote spots, core Canadian values such as gay marriage, access to abortion and bilingualism are mandated (or negatively mandated in the case of abortion).

It is already established that Canada is a North American culture.
If this were true then there would be no reason not to merge with the US. Not being part of the US is a bother and, so far as I can see, the major advantage of being a separate country is that it allows Canada to respect immigrant cultures in a way the US will not. If, for example, the US moves against a militant Muslim minority Canada need not follow.

Multiculturalism in Canada started as bi culturalism (Trudeau) and was latched on to by the liberal tree hugging crowd 40 or so years ago who didn't want anybody to be offended again, ever. The policy took hold in the GTA (tree huger paradise) area where many of the more recent immigrants have moved to, particularly Asian immigrants. Ghetto's began to form and became larger. Basically the GTA was eating many more immigrants than it could digest. I have nothing against people of different races just so that you don't confue me for something I am not.
<hugs tree>

oh, and perhaps a little pride, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afci7osf2Rg
Arghhh! It's been decades since Terry Fox was alive. You'd think by now a monopedal Canadian would have made it across the country.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by BristolUK
the two stores I've used have not been dirty or cramped.
I think that's urban vs. ex-urban. The store on the Danforth is a dump while the newer ones in big box estates are, at least, clean. They still have narrow aisles though, very dollar store.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

Does Brit culture exist in bar's coffee houses, den's of iniquity, church basements?.
Pubs, surely?

<struggles with the latter concept>

Filmore's?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Pubs, surely?

<struggles with the latter concept>

Filmore's?
Filmore's is an absolute church picnic compared to the now departed Major Mack Hotel in Richmond Hill in terms of sin...maybe our poster from the Hill can give us some insight.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

I
The policy took hold in the GTA (tree huger paradise) area where many of the more recent immigrants have moved to, particularly Asian immigrants. Ghetto's began to form and became larger.
Lord Vader,

Would you care to name some 'ghettos' that have formed in immigrant enclaves in Canada. I can't think of any myself based on my knowledge of Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal to the greatest extent. That, to me, is one of the fundamental urban differences between Canada and the USA. I can't think of a Canadian equivalent of Gary, East St Louis, Camden, Hamtramack etc in Canada. In almost all cases, immigrants to Canada have a greater income level, higher level of educational attainment than the non-hyphenated ones
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by clynnog
Filmore's is an absolute church picnic compared to the now departed Major Mack Hotel in Richmond Hill in terms of sin...maybe our poster from the Hill can give us some insight.
So I've heard. We used to go to someplace in Scarborough, Scarborough House Tavern, maybe, which lacked strippers but made up for it with prostitution drugs and violence. That was lively. Sometimes I miss the Newfie era.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.