Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Canada?

What's wrong with Canada?

Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with Canada?

Originally Posted by clynnog
Lord Vader,

Would you care to name some 'ghettos' that have formed in immigrant enclaves in Canada. I can't think of any myself based on my knowledge of Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal to the greatest extent. That, to me, is one of the fundamental urban differences between Canada and the USA. I can't think of a Canadian equivalent of Gary, East St Louis, Camden, Hamtramack etc in Canada. In almost all cases, immigrants to Canada have a greater income level, higher level of educational attainment than the non-hyphenated ones
Regents Park maybe. It's interesting because the population reflects waves of immigration in the same way as the street where I grew up. In both cases waves of immigrants arrived, got established and moved out, leaving only a few failures behind. Regents Park used to be populated by Black people, many of them from francophone Africa. Now it's usual to see women wearing the hajib and not uncommon to see burkhas.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
So I've heard. We used to go to someplace in Scarborough, Scarborough House Tavern, maybe, which lacked strippers but made up for it with prostitution drugs and violence. That was lively. Sometimes I miss the Newfie era.
I don't know that place....there is/was a place to the east of the Zoo somewhere on Sheppard that overlooked the Rouge Valley that was quite a dump...I don't believe it had dancers.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Regents Park maybe. It's interesting because the population reflects waves of immigration in the same way as the street where I grew up. In both cases waves of immigrants arrived, got established and moved out, leaving only a few failures behind. Regents Park used to be populated by Black people, many of them from francophone Africa. Now it's usual to see women wearing the hajib and not uncommon to see burkhas.
Yes, I must admit I'd forgotten Regents Park (and I assume that Jane/Finch and Thorncliffe Park would also count). All of these 3 areas are rather high density housing and not the detached home slums of Detroit, Gary and ESL.

Isn't Regents Park being knocked down and being rebuilt as a 'paradise in the heart of the city'.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Consumer rights are non-existent in Canada.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Regents Park being knocked down and being rebuilt as a 'paradise in the heart of the city'.
It is. But then it was built as 'paradise in the heart of the city'.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:24 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Regents Park is indeed being torn down and rebuilt. It was built in the late 1940's before the advent of the drug culture/crime haven it has become, and it has run its course as far as construction quality. It has endured much longer than many/most of the UK high-rise ghettos in the large cities. While not the most desirable area of Toronto it, in no way, disturbs me visually as those 1960's high-rises in Glasgow, Birmingham, London, etc, or the ghettos/projects of large US cities.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Regents Park is indeed being torn down and rebuilt. It was built in the late 1940's before the advent of the drug culture/crime haven it has become, and it has run its course as far as construction quality. It has endured much longer than many/most of the UK high-rise ghettos in the large cities. While not the most desirable area of Toronto it, in no way, disturbs me visually as those 1960's high-rises in Glasgow, Birmingham, London, etc, or the ghettos/projects of large US cities.

I agree with most of that, Regents Park did follow the planning ideas of the time, low rise properties, town houses, no tower blocks. That depresses me. The nature and layout of the buildings is the same as many of the new developments in suburban Toronto. North Oakville, for example, much discussed on another thread, looks like Regents Park but with less grass. The area around Lakeshore and Southdown Road in Mississauga is covered in developments following the Regents Park model and more are being built even now. I suppose that all those jerry built projects built by the likes of Greenpark and Mattamy will be the slums of the twenties.

Where we differ is in lumping in the ghettos of US cities with tower blocks and housing projects. Compton, for example, includes very many detached houses which hardly differ from those in more salubrious neighbourhoods. Driving around, one must look for bars on the windows, knots of men drinking in the middle of the day, clues like that, as the structure of the buildings doesn't hint at the hell within. Detroit has housing stock which would be attractive were the place not so dangerous. The crack house in Jersey from which the Soprano gang stole the plumbing was physically an attractive building. The camelback shotguns in Algiers are gorgeous, if minimalist, structures.

US ghettos are not all Stalinist tower blocks, the UK is probably worse in that regard. Toronto too, of course, Rexdale has lots of tower blocks with those stupid diamond cross fences around them, allegedly to stop people running from the police but practically to stop anyone from going anywhere. And then there's St Jamestown.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:40 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Saskatchewan is the only place that you can let your dog out the back door and watch it run away for three days.

It's kinda flat.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:21 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Lord Vader,

Would you care to name some 'ghettos' that have formed in immigrant enclaves in Canada. I can't think of any myself based on my knowledge of Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal to the greatest extent. That, to me, is one of the fundamental urban differences between Canada and the USA. I can't think of a Canadian equivalent of Gary, East St Louis, Camden, Hamtramack etc in Canada.
I don't use the term "Ghetto" to describe a slum or economically depressed area, I use it to describe an area where a "minority" group live in large due to social pressure that results from multiculturalism, places such as Brampton ON or Richmond BC or any number of neighborhoods. New immigrants tend to stick to their own and not only shun the "non hyphenated" Canadians (what a ridiculous term) but the other groups of "hyphenated" Canadians. Of course this is not an absolute and there are likely many cases where people of different cultures do mingle with each other but on the whole this is not the case.
The only thing I ask for people coming here is that they adapt to the greater social customs that Canadians consider important such as allowing your children to decide who they marry and not engaging in the sale of your daughters, equality between the sexes, equality of all individuals regardless of income and social status, recognition of free speech, learn the damned language, keep your religious beliefs to yourself and brush up on what secular society means. I don't think I am being unreasonable. I don't care what you eat or what music you listen too or what type of alcohol you drink or the sports you like or the clothes you wear (well, with the exception of forced religious head gear and the like).
In almost all cases, immigrants to Canada have a greater income level, higher level of educational attainment than the non-hyphenated ones
I have actually heard the opposite.
http://oncampus.macleans.ca/educatio...ss-employment/

This could be due to an oversupply of "skilled people" in some areas. This leads to another beef I have regarding the type of skills Canada attracts to the country but that is for another thread.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Mar 8th 2009 at 4:25 am.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:57 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see a void, I see many cultures coexisting and competing. I commend the Canadians of the Trudeau era for realizing that inviting immigrants to keep their cultures was a way to bring life to Hogtown.
Nah, it had to due with Quebec.

You mean that there are some redneck backwoods where the spirit of the country is not yet embraced. However, even in the most remote spots, core Canadian values such as gay marriage, access to abortion and bilingualism are mandated (or negatively mandated in the case of abortion).
Yeah, most folks are OK with those things.

If this were true then there would be no reason not to merge with the US. Not being part of the US is a bother and, so far as I can see, the major advantage of being a separate country is that it allows Canada to respect immigrant cultures in a way the US will not. If, for example, the US moves against a militant Muslim minority Canada need not follow.
Actually, merging with the US is an intriguing thought. Maybe Canada could play the part of the Trojan Horse? Who knows with China on the rise, the babbles of the EU attempting to resemble a country by destroying the sovereignty of it's nation states, Putin's Russia trying to revive the Soviet glory days, maybe a united North America is the way to go, but then on the other side you get into the New World Order and North American Union stuff, it's complicated.
Arghhh! It's been decades since Terry Fox was alive. You'd think by now a monopedal Canadian would have made it across the country.
There is a joke that goes something like ,,,How do you kill a fox? Cut of one leg and get them to run across Canada. (groans from the masses)
Thousands of bipedals do the cross continental migration every year. Most in jets, many in cars, a few on motorbikes, a couple in bicycles.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:13 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
The only thing I ask for people coming here is that they adapt to the greater social customs that Canadians consider important such as allowing your children to decide who they marry and not engaging in the sale of your daughters, equality between the sexes, equality of all individuals regardless of income and social status, recognition of free speech, learn the damned language, keep your religious beliefs to yourself and brush up on what secular society means. I don't think I am being unreasonable. I don't care what you eat or what music you listen too or what type of alcohol you drink or the sports you like or the clothes you wear (well, with the exception of forced religious head gear and the like).
Tough Luck

Canada needs the immigrants more than the Immigrants need Canada

So its the immigrants terms that count, not the dwindling numbers of 'locals'
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Filmore's is an absolute church picnic compared to the now departed Major Mack Hotel in Richmond Hill in terms of sin...maybe our poster from the Hill can give us some insight.
Maybe he can, maybe he won't though.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy

Taking a driving test? For petes sake 1) its the law 2) you learnt to drive on the opposite side of the road, probably in a stick shift, with different traffic laws WHY SHOULDNT you be re-tested?????
Because people who hold American, Austrian, German, Swiss, Japanese or South Korean licences... don't have to take a test.

Australia and Japan drive on the left.... it's all to do with a licence exchange agreement, nothing to do with safety!!

Plus places like Ontario allow people from the UK to exchange... so why is it different in B.C???

And what's the fact that i learnt to drive a "stick shift" (manual) car got to do with anything... they don't allow people who pass their test in an automatic to drive a manual car in the UK, because manual cars are harder to drive than auto cars. But here it doesn't matter.

Last edited by minimeeze; Mar 8th 2009 at 6:46 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:53 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
I don't use the term "Ghetto" to describe a slum or economically depressed area, I use it to describe an area where a "minority" group live in large due to social pressure that results from multiculturalism, places such as ... Richmond BC ...
I think ghetto is a pejorative term when discussing racial or cultural groups. Your definition is at odds with most people's understanding of the word.

What social pressures that result from multiculturalism cause you to describe Richmond, BC as a ghetto?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I think ghetto is a pejorative term when discussing racial or cultural groups. Your definition is at odds with most people's understanding of the word.

What social pressures that result from multiculturalism cause you to describe Richmond, BC as a ghetto?
I was thinking the same thing. Richmond is certainly not a ghetto.

By that logic, Okotoks, Alberta is a British ghetto.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.