Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Canada?

What's wrong with Canada?

Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with Canada?

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Canadian culture could be describe as "northern North American culture" perhaps. There is a Canadian culture, it is not very different from American culture. However no matter what it is called there is indeed a culture to be adapted to. Canadian culture is the default name. If people can blend into American culture then they can blend into "Canadian" culture rather than act like they never left home.

I disagree completely. I think the defining feature of Canada is a cultural void.

Yes, Canada shares some features with the US. Economically it's a subsidiary of the US. Politically, when Canada has a Conservative government, it's a subsidiary of the US, but Canada is different. It's different because the philosophy of the US, the melting pot, acknowledges the country's dependence on immigration and seeks to create unity from diversity, whereas the governing philosophy of Canada, multi-culturalism, acknowledges that there's not much here and invites immigrants to live in the manner to which they are accustomed.

One may argue that the result isn't very different. NYC has a similarly diverse population to Toronto. Even though more than half the popuilation of Toronto was born outside Canada, the city with the largest proportion of population born abroad is in the US, not Canada. Both countries have two main languages. I think though that there's a vast difference between inviting people to come to a country with a view to helping to create something new and inviting people to come to a country and to be semi-detached.

Don't read me wrongly, I support multi-culturalism. I support it because it enriches the country. Hyphenated Canadians bring interest to a country in which the established population has the imagination and charisma of the autistic. I think though that the reason Canada needs multi-culturalism is to give it something, anything.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

This may have been said (this thread is long and I confess I havn't read every post)

They serve donnair sauce with pizza.....sweet and yucky.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:53 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
YUCK!!!!!!!!! That is a crime!! It sounds horrific!!
You can get Poutine at the Maple Leaf in Covant Garden. Don't knock it until you've tried it!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

I can't wait to try Poutine.

Apparently it is VERY calorific!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

smog73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Poutine is great-we brought some packets of st huberts mix back with us from holiday and are trying to save them for "special" times. We also have a tin of baked beans with maple syrup that we are saving!!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AllyS

just think of your heart!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Candy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura about

Winters that last 4-6months
-30 temperatures
Cold Weather Alerts

On the other hand summers make up for it - providing you have AC
Hot and humid - +30 temps

One extreme to the other!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Candy001
Winters that last 6-8months
-30 temperatures (-50 with windchill)
Cold Weather Alerts - the weather can kill you

Hot and humid - +40 temps with the humidex

edited for accuracy

s
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:16 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
You can get Poutine at the Maple Leaf in Covant Garden. Don't knock it until you've tried it!
OH had it a few months back when we visited The Maple Leaf, he liked it too
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:22 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Candy001
Winters that last 4-6months
-30 temperatures
Cold Weather Alerts

Hot and humid - +30 temps

if you add it together, on an average, Canada has quite reasonable weather
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:45 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
OH had it a few months back when we visited The Maple Leaf, he liked it too
Yes he did, and the beer too
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:51 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Then knock it.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

Originally Posted by AllyS

Poutine is fabby after a hard morning skiing
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:25 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I disagree completely. I think the defining feature of Canada is a cultural void.

Yes, Canada shares some features with the US. Economically it's a subsidiary of the US. Politically, when Canada has a Conservative government, it's a subsidiary of the US, but Canada is different. It's different because the philosophy of the US, the melting pot, acknowledges the country's dependence on immigration and seeks to create unity from diversity, whereas the governing philosophy of Canada, multi-culturalism, acknowledges that there's not much here and invites immigrants to live in the manner to which they are accustomed.
One may argue that the result isn't very different. NYC has a similarly diverse population to Toronto. Even though more than half the popuilation of Toronto was born outside Canada, the city with the largest proportion of population born abroad is in the US, not Canada. Both countries have two main languages. I think though that there's a vast difference between inviting people to come to a country with a view to helping to create something new and inviting people to come to a country and to be semi-detached.
So you agree that Canada and the US are similar and that North America is divided into regions that cross the border but that all culture stops because of this border. So you are saying that someone born in Maine has culture but someone born 10 miles away in New Brunswick does not? Even though they play the same sports and eat the same food and listen to the same music and have the same accent and wear the same clothes. What about Vancouver and Seattle?
Don't read me wrongly, I support multi-culturalism. I support it because it enriches the country. Hyphenated Canadians bring interest to a country in which the established population has the imagination and charisma of the autistic. I think though that the reason Canada needs multi-culturalism is to give it something, anything.
Have you tried shaking your head back and forth rapidly for a few seconds?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:39 am
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
I wish this too, we have our Liberal Party to thank for that. All the PC and multicultural BS is taking its toll. I am not interested one iota in importing Asian, European or African cultures in Canada. That is what Asia, Europe and Africa are for. Multiculturalism is nothing more than modern day segregation. It discourages unity and creates ghetto's of single cultures rather than encourage unity and coming together. If someone from elsewhere is coming here than it is they who need to adapt, not everyone else. People also need to come to grips with what a secular society is and that nobody cares about what their religion is or whether they find something offensive or not. Some people can grasp this while it is lost on others.
Then how do the ethnic minorities maintain their cultural heritage throughout the generations? Can you imagine a Chinese born in Canada not writing those complicated chinese characters? There must be a mode for them to maintain their distinct ethnic identity. The Sikhs need to keep their temples to provide free meals so even I, can go there to eat as a Caucasian non believer. We don't need them becoming bananas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.