Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Canada?

What's wrong with Canada?

Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:26 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with Canada?

Originally Posted by flashman
Isn't that the point though ? A major component of Canadian culture is that you don't bring your origin's baggage with you such as prejudice, class structure, intolerance etc.
Err......

are we talking about the same country...... I see lots of prejudice, class structure and intolerance

why do you think some of the gangs divide on ethnic lines? most of the gang members of often second or third generation
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
are we talking about the same country...... I see lots of prejudice, class structure and intolerance
Me too. I think people bring their baggage. Toronto consists of very many ethnic groups, most of them have a beef with some other ethnic group.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:36 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Me too. I think people bring their baggage. Toronto consists of very many ethnic groups, most of them have a beef with some other ethnic group.
People can't honestly expect individuals or groups to leave their prejudices at the border can they?

Utopia this is not.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Is there an equivalent 'class' structure in Canada, or is it meritocracy driven?

I have also got the impression that Canadians are obsessed with community events, helping their neighbours, and going overseas to contribute to/help less-fortunate people.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllyS
Is there an equivalent 'class' structure in Canada, or is it meritocracy driven?
There is a class structure but the pinnacle is moving to the UK so there's not much difference between those who remain.

I have also got the impression that Canadians are obsessed with community events, helping their neighbours, and going overseas to contribute to/help less-fortunate people.
Also washing the feet of the poor.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Err......

why do you think some of the gangs divide on ethnic lines? most of the gang members of often second or third generation
I wasn't including criminals or other anti-social jerks.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:58 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Jesuswept!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:15 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't including criminals or other anti-social jerks.
I just used them as a high profile example
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:41 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I just used them as a high profile example
Canada is full of really nice people - apart from the ones that aren't
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:11 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I agree that North America varies in North-South bands independent of the border, Ontario=Ohio, Alberta=Texas etc., but doesn't this just support my point that immigrants can't blend with Canadian culture because there isn't a Canadian culture? Immigrants enrich the country by behaving as if they were at home but with more coats.
Canadian culture could be describe as "northern North American culture" perhaps. There is a Canadian culture, it is not very different from American culture. However no matter what it is called there is indeed a culture to be adapted to. Canadian culture is the default name. If people can blend into American culture then they can blend into "Canadian" culture rather than act like they never left home.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Mar 5th 2009 at 5:13 am.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:27 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
I have heard a lot of things that are right with it but curious to know what annoys some people.

I would like to know so I am not entering the country with rose tinted glasses!! I want the dirt lol!!
Whats wrong with Canada?

1. Girly sports that always require padding and constant team changes and stoppages.

2. Bad drivers

3. Not many kebab houses

4. Poor Nightlife

5. Cars with high carbon emmissions

6. You have to drive on the wrong side of the road

7. I couldn't find orange/ summerfruit or bluckcurrant squash anywhere

8. The bread tastes funny

9. The supermarkets are dirty and have less choice

10. Toronto has the most ruthless parking wardens following up on misleading parking signs!

11. There are pot holes on the roads all over the place

Last edited by JamesM; Mar 5th 2009 at 10:37 am.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:43 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Umpatan
It is important to let the Canadians know that British people are not "immigrants" to Canada. Britain built Canada, and a red carpet immigration needs to be extended for this purpose. Canadians are the descendents of the Loyalists back in history who remained faithful to mother England. Perhaps if the Pound Sterling tumbles and UK goes bankrupt, Canada should open its arms to all those who are British to live in Canada.
Americans too will be rushing up north when their economy collapse. The Pound will be 1 pound to 1 Canadian dollar by then perhaps.
I suspect by that stage it will be:

£1 = 1 Zimbabwean dollar!!!

Do I have to take my shoes off before I walk on the red carpet?

Last edited by JamesM; Mar 5th 2009 at 10:53 am. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:52 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Isn't that the point though ? A major component of Canadian culture is that you don't bring your origin's baggage with you such as prejudice, class structure, intolerance etc.
So you get to customs and they ask "Have you anything to declare?" You say "No I've left prejudice, class structure and intolerance behind".

The Customs official says "Great, Welcome to Canada have a great day".

You then walk out the Airport and get in the taxi. The taxi driver greets you and asks you what the hell you are doing in Canada? He then tells you that because of his skin colour, foreign qualifications and lack of tolerance to his working class background and different accent he can't get a job as a high level computer programmer. This typically lasts for an average of 25 to 45 minutes depending on Highway traffic.

Last edited by JamesM; Mar 5th 2009 at 11:01 am. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:10 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Canadians love to talk about doing all those things- Talk is not cheap in Canada!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
The cinnamon buns are ok, its that ghastly cheesy stuff they plaster on the top of them that gets me
What!!!...you don't like cream cheese frosting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.