Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:08 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

Originally Posted by act1980
How many of you out there feel more at home than you ever did in the UK? And how many of you just don't feel like you have settled at all?
At home? Yes, we feel comfortable here. More at home? No, probably not, but then we did not have a raging hatred of being in the UK (Northern Ireland and northern England in our last three years in the UK, various bits elsewhere at other times).

Settled? Well, I love my work and we love the access to the mountains and ocean we have here that took far more travelling time for us to get to in the UK. Vancouver itself does not thrill me as a city. We can find most things we need but it really only wins over other cities on surroundings for me. I am not sure whether I feel settled enough that I would stay if (when?) I am no longer capable of doing the outdoor things I love or no longer do the work I love.

I am pleased we made the move. We have no regrets and currently have no intentions of returning to the UK or of leaving Greater Vancouver. We are very happy now but it would be foolish not to acknowledge that circumstances and feelings can change over time.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:36 am
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Hi,

By the time I found this thread it was 6 pages deep But wanted to add my voice to the throng.

We are all settled here in Vancouver - now coming up to 6 years. And yes it does feel like home. Last year was my first time back to the UK and boy was I glad to get home to Canada afterwards.

I even get a mini thrill of homecoming when I cross the Lionsgate Bridge back to the north shore. Is that sad?

I cannot imagine living elsewhere and our four kids are very much Canadians now (accents and attitude).

A lot of settling and adjusting is to do with attitude. We see a lot of people moving out here and have got pretty good at judging who is going to do well and who is likely to struggle. Flexibility is probably the most important attribute in the mix.

Enough with the philosophy

Warmly,

Frank
Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:31 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Frank'n Sense
Hi,

By the time I found this thread it was 6 pages deep But wanted to add my voice to the throng.

We are all settled here in Vancouver - now coming up to 6 years. And yes it does feel like home. Last year was my first time back to the UK and boy was I glad to get home to Canada afterwards.

I even get a mini thrill of homecoming when I cross the Lionsgate Bridge back to the north shore. Is that sad?

I cannot imagine living elsewhere and our four kids are very much Canadians now (accents and attitude).

A lot of settling and adjusting is to do with attitude. We see a lot of people moving out here and have got pretty good at judging who is going to do well and who is likely to struggle. Flexibility is probably the most important attribute in the mix.

Warmly,

Frank
Yes i feel the same when i arrive back in Vancouver. I wonder if age is also a factor. I came here as young man, no real ties to the UK (other than family). I also bought real estate here when it was a lot, lot cheaper. I should think had i had moved here in the past year or two it would have been more of a shock.

Lots of factors come into play that is for sure
Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:53 am
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Just seen your tagline. I think you'd have to be very young. 40 or less.

You're not dismissing it then? I think we share the same nose
Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Okay so in your experience what did the UK used to be? What has gone so badly wrong?

High petrol prices, high taxes, no respect, crap eduction system, high divorce rate,
Too many people riding the welfare system. I live in a culdasac which is made up of 12 houses and 2 bungalows, there Housing asscociation, the neighbours are frendly people and kids all get on doors open all same age so playing in and out all the time. But i can count on 1 hand the amount of people that work in these houses. 5!!, 3 live in the same house, myself and the plumber over road.
I got one neighbour with 2 kids, who is over weight, cant work(never worked), but has a brand new citreon C4 sitting outside house,another that was a gambling addict, 3 kids and is on incapacitiy allowance constanly buying new electronic equipment, LCD tv, new car ect.. another who has got 6 kids and boast that she brings in over £400 a week and her rent council tax is payed.
One jokingly thanked me for paying my tax the other day because he got a £25 bonus in his money due to the fact that the weather dropped below freezing and every week it does he will get another £25! wot a joke! they should give vouchers so they no its going on electric/gas!! the junkys will get an few extra hits thanks to the weather!
All these could go to work
And we wonder why we pay so much tax, Immagrants take up a small amount of our tax, the welfare blaggers take a big toll on it.

I went to my gym the other day and it was full of eatern europeans,I said to the guy behind desk, it busy today, he said yeah they all get there memberships payed for by benefit!:curse:
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Canuck2b
I take it you mean P'Boro in CA - not UK.......I have lived in P'Boro Uk for 8 years.....Redneck is not the word i would use!!!!!
hmmmmm never tried ski dooing in p.boro uk.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
You're not dismissing it then? I think we share the same nose
Ears. The proof is in the ears.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishintruder
I went to my gym the other day and it was full of eatern europeans,I said to the guy behind desk, it busy today, he said yeah they all get there memberships payed for by benefit!:curse:
I hate them nibbled Poles on ficticious benefits.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Frank'n Sense
Hi,

Warmly,

Frank
Hi Frank,

Thanks for your post. I'm glad things have worked out well for you
Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

High petrol prices, high taxes, no respect, crap eduction system, high divorce rate,
Too many people riding the welfare system. I live in a culdasac which is made up of 12 houses and 2 bungalows, there Housing asscociation, the neighbours are frendly people and kids all get on doors open all same age so playing in and out all the time. But i can count on 1 hand the amount of people that work in these houses. 5!!, 3 live in the same house, myself and the plumber over road.
I got one neighbour with 2 kids, who is over weight, cant work(never worked), but has a brand new citreon C4 sitting outside house,another that was a gambling addict, 3 kids and is on incapacitiy allowance constanly buying new electronic equipment, LCD tv, new car ect.. another who has got 6 kids and boast that she brings in over £400 a week and her rent council tax is payed.
One jokingly thanked me for paying my tax the other day because he got a £25 bonus in his money due to the fact that the weather dropped below freezing and every week it does he will get another £25! wot a joke! they should give vouchers so they no its going on electric/gas!! the junkys will get an few extra hits thanks to the weather!
All these could go to work
And we wonder why we pay so much tax, Immagrants take up a small amount of our tax, the welfare blaggers take a big toll on it.

Fab description!!! Couldn't have said it better myself!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:24 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

....crap eduction system.....there Housing asscociation, the neighbours are frendly...Immagrants take up a small amount of our tax.... I went to my gym the other day and it was full of eatern europeans, I said to the guy behind desk, it busy today, he said yeah they all get there memberships payed for by benefit!:curse:
Damn that edmuncation system
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I'm starting to think the country has gone to the dogs
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice

Originally Posted by R I C H
It was early and done in a rush before out the door to earn the tax for her majesty's blaggers. Did not have time too spell check ones work

Made me laugh today on news, Sussex police have started a campaign for snitching on people who don't seem to work but have a luxury lifestyle ect..

The advert says " too much bling, give us a ring"

www.2muchbling.co.uk
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Made me laugh today on news, Sussex police have started a campaign for snitching on people who don't seem to work but have a luxury lifestyle ect..

The advert says " too much bling, give us a ring"

www.2muchbling.co.uk
How many jealous people are going to snitch on their local lottery winner. FCS, Big Brother doesn't need to watch you, they have your neighbour doing it. George Orwell was only out by 25yrs.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

It's funny how Novocastrain said that my thread was pointless and then he goes and starts his own one that actually gets more posts than mine!

I am actually trying to find out information where as he is just being an idiot and taking the piss out of people!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.