Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

I was talking to someone today and telling them how I plan to live in Canada one day.

They told me that you never really settle when you move and that the grass is always greener....

I would just like to know how true that statement is? How many of you out there feel more at home than you ever did in the UK? And how many of you just don't feel like you have settled at all?

I look forward to hearing your experiences.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:51 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

I'm probably not a good example as I came to Canada when I was 16 in 1963, you do the math.

But this is very definitely home to me, I have absolutely no desire to live anywhere else.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:51 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
I was talking to someone today and telling them how I plan to live in Canada one day.

They told me that you never really settle when you move and that the grass is always greener....

I would just like to know how true that statement is? How many of you out there feel more at home than you ever did in the UK? And how many of you just don't feel like you have settled at all?

I look forward to hearing your experiences.
After 18 months I can finally say I feel settled here. I would never think about moving back to the UK - I just love it! It took a while to get the hang of everything (and find the right place in Canada for us to live) but it is definately greener for us
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
It's white much of the time.

But plenty of us settle just fine.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:52 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

I have spoken extensively to my family who are out there about this and they absolutely love it there and have always felt it was home. They hate coming back to the UK and only do so to see family.

I know I'm not speaking about personal experience but it is something we all discussed at length over dinner one evening.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice

We have lived here for almost 10 years and I still feel unsettled I still think about Scotland as home and more and more I think and talk about going home.
Hey, but thats just me!!

I know lots of expats here who LOVE it.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Not settled. Perhaps just not a settled type of person.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:18 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Happy enough - feeling more settled. Nothing mega specific but not 100% sure this would be a long-term (ie, lifelong) option - but then anyone could say this about anywhere. Nothing in the rule book that says you have to stay anywhere forever ....

I think it's makes for a healthier state of mind to say "we'll do this for a few years and see how it goes" - rather than "this is for life and I'm never going back to the UK".
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:19 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We love it here too and have done since they day we landed 2 years ago.

We had a good life (financially) in the UK but wanted the adventure and having visited Canada several times we felt a definite pull.

A major mistake some people make, especially moving to another English speaking country is thinking its the same as the UK but maybe with more sun, wide open spaces, etc. Whether its Canada, USA, OZ, NS etc, each country has it's own customs, people, food, etc - if you can't learn to embrace those differences you will struggle no matter where in the world you move to.

Research, research and research some more.

Someone in this forum is heading back to the UK after a living here a few months stating one of their reasons was the cold winter climate - in Canada............... really, who would have thought it ???????????????
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:22 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Happy enough - feeling more settled. Nothing mega specific but not 100% sure this would be a long-term (ie, lifelong) option - but then anyone could say this about anywhere. Nothing in the rule book that says you have to stay anywhere forever ....

I think it's makes for a healthier state of mind to say "we'll do this for a few years and see how it goes" - rather than "this is for life and I'm never going back to the UK".
If your kids marry here and have families I'll bet that's a far greater pull than going back would be.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:32 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

I'm in that camp too - happy enough here and don't regret it for one minute, but never say never, who knows what's around the corner.... I'll feel more settled once I get PR (currently on TWP) and don't feel like I have a ticking time bomb around my neck...
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 40 years so not really qualified since I've outgrown homesickness.

However in the early years my view of the UK was nostalgic based on romantic memories (Bobbies on bicycles etc.) I started to experience claustrophobia when I last visited in '99 due to lots of people, crowded roads, tiny rooms etc. and depressing cloudy skies.

Give me the Canadian space and blue skies any day even if it's cold.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:13 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

It's more down to the individual. Canada certainly doesn't feel more homey to me than England did.

Have you always wanted to travel? Are your plans for Canada more about adventure than feeling drawn to the people/place?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:22 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What is the point of yet another of these threads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.