Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:52 pm

Rainey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

I am happier here than i ever was in the UK.......still only been here a year so could still be holiday mode i guess.........time will tell!!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:58 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Okay so in your experience what did the UK used to be? What has gone so badly wrong?
I found out recently that Brookside is no longer on the air - i think that's where it all started to go terribly wrong.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Okay so in your experience what did the UK used to be? What has gone so badly wrong?
There used to be less crime, people had more respect for each other etc... The area in which I lived used to be very nice but now it is getting bad too, crime etc.... Just the general running of the country is a joke!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dboy
I found out recently that Brookside is no longer on the air - i think that's where it all started to go terribly wrong.
I think Hollyoaks has possibly had an impact too!!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
There used to be less crime, people had more respect for each other etc... The area in which I lived used to be very nice but now it is getting bad too, crime etc.... Just the general running of the country is a joke!
Things have actually improved over the years where I live mind you it's Northern Ireland so I guess the only way was up.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I think Hollyoaks has possibly had an impact too!!
It all started downhill when they took Albion Market off the TV.

Things have actually improved over the years where I live mind you it's Northern Ireland so I guess the only way was up.
True enough.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Not settled.

We have a nicer house in a better area than we would have but...No job security for either of us so I never feel we can spend any money as we may need it one rainy day. MOH is on reduced hours so less money coming in. My job is casual part time, so can never guarantee that there will be any work.

Its been snowing all day, I have cabin fever and today I want to go home. There's nothing to do, no one nearby to go and see.

Mostly it's just OK living here.
I stayed for a week in p.borough, amazing place, did all the ski dooing had loadsa fun...never forget it, but I think I did it all in that week! any longer and i would get stir crazy, very quiet place and a little "redneck" dare i say.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:38 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
It all started downhill when they took Albion Market off the TV.

True enough.
Yes, i remember that wasn't it a spin off from East Enders? That must have been in the 80's since i left in 1989.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking to someone today and telling them how I plan to live in Canada one day.

They told me that you never really settle when you move and that the grass is always greener....

I would just like to know how true that statement is? How many of you out there feel more at home than you ever did in the UK? And how many of you just don't feel like you have settled at all?

I look forward to hearing your experiences.
I have just put up our 1st Canniversary post...it says it all...we love love love Canada.
I wouldnt say I feel MORE at home here than in the UK, but we do feel at home here...if that makes sense..the locals have all being saying over this weekend that they cant believe we have only been here one year, we have settled so well into our community it feels like we always lived here.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

I will take your word for it!! Can you send some of the nice life down here please??
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by skyturner
I stayed for a week in p.borough, amazing place, did all the ski dooing had loadsa fun...never forget it, but I think I did it all in that week! any longer and i would get stir crazy, very quiet place and a little "redneck" dare i say.
I take it you mean P'Boro in CA - not UK.......I have lived in P'Boro Uk for 8 years.....Redneck is not the word i would use!!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

I really think think you can't ask that question to this forum of people (excuse pun). We all have too much of a biased opinion.

To have moved countries in the first place makes you somewhat different from the norm and so you will not get an objective opinion. (IMHO)

I knew people who could not understand, let alone contemplate, moving to another country.

But that's not me

Have lived in 3 countries with OH and kids and am (generally) enjoying the experiences.

But that's just my opinion!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi
I really think think you can't ask that question to this forum of people (excuse pun). We all have too much of a biased opinion.

To have moved countries in the first place makes you somewhat different from the norm and so you will not get an objective opinion. (IMHO)

I knew people who could not understand, let alone contemplate, moving to another country.

But that's not me

Have lived in 3 countries with OH and kids and am (generally) enjoying the experiences.

But that's just my opinion!

If we are to treat the question halfway seriously we also have to consider how people live when they get to Canada. I lived in the Beach district of Toronto for yonks. It's very much like living in London, people have small houses, they entertain in the pub, they have dogs and walk them, it could be Harrow. The advantage in moving is exactly the increase in size of your house.

Now I live rurally, something I could not do in the UK because of the cost of land, and, in part, because rural pursuits such as foxhunting are subject to legislation in the UK. For people who really love hunting animals and cooking them Canada is inifinitely better. For people who love urban things, art, architecture, culture, physical beauty in the built environment, it's not. Toronto, Canada's biggest city, has the charm of Birmingham (which, in case we have any people who speak through their noses here, is none).

The more cerebral you are the worse Canada is. The more you love noisy things that are not cars yet run on petrol, the better it is.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skyturner
skidooing in Pbro? amazing place???

Pbro is the centre of civilisation round here, you think that's redneck then imagine the rest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.