Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

Lived in five countries, Canada this spring will be sixths.

Where is supposed to be home? Home is where /you decide its going to be/
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

I left home aged 17 and have spent 22yrs travelling around, and although around 10yrs were around the UK 12yrs have been abroad.
I would say I never missed home but at the same time because I knew I would be moving we never really made the place we were living in our real home.
So what? I think we have each other and where we are is our home
If you live with your family, sisters, bros etc near you everyday then you will find it harder to make hoe away from what are your comfort zones!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by act1980
I was talking to someone today and telling them how I plan to live in Canada one day.

They told me that you never really settle when you move and that the grass is always greener....
Nah, that's pants. What a sweeping statement. How could they possibly know that that's true for everyone? They couldn't because it's not.

We're here...we love it...we're settled! Ok, we'll be even more settled when we get PR but we feel so at home and happy. We can visit to see family, friends and ....John Lewis! () Seriously, we'd be gutted to have to move back....

Never mind wondering about green grass... could it be a case of green cheese? Don't let anyone else's opinion worry you. We mostly have people saying "good for you, go for it, I would too" so we're pretty lucky.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

We are in the fortunate position of having lived and worked in a few European country's before moving to Canada. This is the furthest away from the UK we have been, and we felt at home from the start.

It may be a bit more daunting for someone who has never lived outside the UK, but since we left Scotland we have never looked back and not once felt homesick or even considered returning. In fact, we have only visited "home" twice in 5 years. We only wish we had done it years earlier.

While we plan to stay in Canada for a few years, I don't think our traveling has finished yet!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:32 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

can't speak for myself just yet, as i'm not quite there..... but two things.....1) hubby has been there since november '08 and 'loves' it......and 2) my brother has lived in canada for 14years now and to quote him "no f-in way would i move back to the uk'......i'll let you know how i feel soon.......
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

(So what? I think we have each other and where we are is our home ) Quote from Dinger24

That statement sums up our attitude exactly! We call home wherever we happen to be, and for us it definitely works. If anything it has made our marriage stronger and definitely more exciting.

Life is what you make of it, I believe that in life, it's not the things we do that we regret, but the things we don't do!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Not settled.

We have a nicer house in a better area than we would have but...No job security for either of us so I never feel we can spend any money as we may need it one rainy day. MOH is on reduced hours so less money coming in. My job is casual part time, so can never guarantee that there will be any work.

Its been snowing all day, I have cabin fever and today I want to go home. There's nothing to do, no one nearby to go and see.

Mostly it's just OK living here.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Not settled.

Its been snowing all day, I have cabin fever and today I want to go home. There's nothing to do, no one nearby to go and see.

I remember quite a few days like that in Canada, especially in January when things seem to get really quiet and I'd think what's the big deal about living here. Hopefully the feeling passes soon and things look a little brighter.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Not settled.

Perfectly put. Couldn't agree more.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:36 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What is the point of yet another of these threads?
For you to check everyone's spelling is up to scratch!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by englishintruder
I find its the people close to you that always give the speech, the grass aint always greener and it might not work ect. ect..

Speak to someone you harldy`know and they always say go for it, whats this country got left going for it!
That is just soooo true. i've heard those lines so many times!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by windward
It's more down to the individual. Canada certainly doesn't feel more homey to me than England did.

Have you always wanted to travel? Are your plans for Canada more about adventure than feeling drawn to the people/place?
I do like to travel, but I have been drawn to the country itself. Plus me and my OH have family there which hopefully would make it easier
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:39 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Perfectly put. Couldn't agree more.

So you are both prepared to live in mediocrity for part or all of your lives.
If you came for a better life, then you're not going to be fulfilled if that's your feeling(s). Life moves along much faster than we think and before we know it, it can be too late to make meaningful changes.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What is the point of yet another of these threads?
Pointless like you I guess!! You always reply to threads with either rude or pointless comments.

I am just trying to find out how Canadian life has been for people, what's wrong with that??

Last edited by act1980; Jan 18th 2009 at 8:45 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Most people seem to love it in Canada, from the UK but I'm in a minority. I've been there 3 years and Canada is over and out for me. Off back to the UK in June!!
Sorry to hear that, what has made you return to the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.