Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question for all you people that are now living in Canada!!

Originally Posted by riosangel
I have no idea where the family with ten children last went on holiday. I think you know that when I was stating they have foreign holidays etc on us that I wasn't just referring to that one particular family.
You said they have foreign holidays. I think I still have some lead in me pencil so I wondered if it'd be worth me while to bang out another couple of kids so as to have them holidays too. But, if you don't even know where they went, or even if they went at all, well, it's hard to know if it's anything worth slapping the old knob back into action for.

Got any specific examples of holiday destinations for families of one parent and ten children who's only income is benefit? Mauritius, is it?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
It's usually cheaper to take kids on holiday during the school term. There were probably other who took their little Tarquin away during the school holidays, thereby not needing to send a holiday request.

I used to know a head teacher who absolutely refused to accept any non-medical excuse for taking a child out of school for more than a day. If the child had an appointment, the head teacher insited that they either be morning or afternoon, and the child was to be in school for the other half of the day unless absolutely necessary.
I took one of mine out of school to visit the Parc Guell. Jolly good week it was and lots of learning come out of it. Better than her being at school I reckon.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
Had they asked, they likely would have discovered that approximately the same number of people leave and come back for the same reasons as ever. I'd call such an investigation a waste of the tax payer's valuable money, the sort of nonsense them wossnames get up to in their ivory thingmies.
Lo db,

Lol Ivory thingmies! The Times on line did an actuary, and during the tax year 06/07 over 300,000.00 people left the Uk, the highest since the "brain drain" they claimed!

I'd just like to bet that out of that 300,000.00 the majority were tax payers. As there's no other country as generous, or "stupid" as the Uk - non that I'm aware of anyway!

Yes, it would interesting to see how many of those returned - not many I bet!

Imagine the tax loss on earnings for that volume in one year? A few years of that, and it's now a serious income loss to Government coffers!

It has to come from somewhere, ie. your stealth taxes, new hidden taxes, etc etc... It cannot be plucked from fresh air!

Literally, on the news now they've just said that the Uk now has 2 million unemployed, with a definite 3 million by the end of Feb - 200 homes a day being repossessed, the list is endless.............
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea where the family with ten children last went on holiday. I think you know that when I was stating they have foreign holidays etc on us that I wasn't just referring to that one particular family. BUT if you are interested, some of the destinations recently visited by non working families at our school have been - Florida, Spain, Euro disney and Portugal. There are probably more but these are the ones that I have received holiday requests for.
But how do you know benefit payments were paying for those holidays? Perhaps a generous grandparent was giving them a nice holiday, or they earn money from a trust fund or similar?

We had little money last year but managed a 10 day holiday to France (a week in a gorgeous cottage on the beach and 3 days at Eurodisney). The entire thing, including ferry crossing, paid for by our Tesco Clubcard vouchers!

I'm sure you get my point but I'm intrigued to know how you are so sure that their holidays were paid for from benefits?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

You said they have foreign holidays. I think I still have some lead in me pencil so I wondered if it'd be worth me while to bang out another couple of kids so as to have them holidays too. But, if you don't even know where they went, or even if they went at all, well, it's hard to know if it's anything worth slapping the old knob back into action for.

Got any specific examples of holiday destinations for families of one parent and ten children who's only income is benefit? Mauritius, is it?
slapping the old knob back into action for.

Easy Tiger
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Yogi-Bear
Lo db,

Lol Ivory thingmies! The Times on line did an actuary, and during the tax year 06/07 over 300,000.00 people left the Uk, the highest since the "brain drain" they claimed!

I'd just like to bet that out of that 300,000.00 the majority were tax payers. As there's no other country as generous, or "stupid" as the Uk - non that I'm aware of anyway!

Imagine the tax loss on earnings for that volume in one year? A few years of that, and it's now a serious income loss to Government coffers!

It has to come from somewhere, ie. your stealth taxes, new hidden taxes, etc etc... It cannot be plucked from fresh air!

Literally, on the news now they've just said that the Uk now has 2 million unemployed, with a definite 3 million by the end of Feb - 200 homes a day being repossessed, the list is endless.............

I'll get to the statistics in a moment but your post reminded me that I did an actuary once. It was great, very much like doing a librarian!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that according to the National Statistics office, approximately 50% of people who emigrate return to the UK.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I took one of mine out of school to visit the Parc Guell. Jolly good week it was and lots of learning come out of it. Better than her being at school I reckon.
She probably learned more.

I don't think kids need to go to Euro Disney or Florida during term time. Barcelona, maybe Rome, and other cities with historical or cultural ties definitely are worth it though.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I believe that according to the National Statistics office, approximately 50% of people who emigrate return to the UK.
Are they the husbands, or wives?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

But how do you know benefit payments were paying for those holidays? Perhaps a generous grandparent was giving them a nice holiday, or they earn money from a trust fund or similar?

We had little money last year but managed a 10 day holiday to France (a week in a gorgeous cottage on the beach and 3 days at Eurodisney). The entire thing, including ferry crossing, paid for by our Tesco Clubcard vouchers!

I'm sure you get my point but I'm intrigued to know how you are so sure that their holidays were paid for from benefits?
All that from Tesco's? Wow! Sainsbury's are fired as from tomorrow
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

You are right of course, I don't know. You are probably right they have probably all got some generous relatives who pay for their nice holiday, nice clothes etc and yes they probably have got some nice trust funds paid for by their generous relatives too. Sorry if I offended any of you non workers, and can only apologise by giving away more of my hard earned taxes.
Assimilated Pauper

"I think the serious trend is showing that there are less British people leaving Britain to go and perhaps live in Spain and elsewhere and the numbers coming into the country have also gone down,"

"According to the ONS figures, emigration was down sharply from 2006 when 400,000 people left the country, mostly to live in Australia, New Zealand, Spain or France."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7737134.stm
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You are right of course, I don't know. You are probably right they have probably all got some generous relatives who pay for their nice holiday, nice clothes etc and yes they probably have got some nice trust funds paid for by their generous relatives too. Sorry if I offended any of you non workers, and can only apologise by giving away more of my hard earned taxes.
I don't think you offended anybody - as we all work and pay taxes too you know! I can't stand benefit scroungers either, but I was questioning your certainty of where their money came from and wondered how you knew their financial details.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I'll have you know that I'm a tax payer. I'm paid up past the end of 2006, I am.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

All that from Tesco's? Wow! Sainsbury's are fired as from tomorrow
Yep, well worth doing so definitely switch if you can. Get a Tesco's credit card too and the points stack up, we only saved our points for 6 months to get that holiday. We've got a week on a canal boat booked with them for this year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.