Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old May 28th 2021, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Might it not be something to do with being an essential worker?
It seems fair to think that a nation's prime minister might be fairly essential.
It would seem plausible. But maybe the rules are relaxed by then.
Old May 28th 2021, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
June 22 will be interesting, initial reports were form high ranking but unnamed US Customs and Border Protection officials, but now a member of congress has said it.

Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas) told POLITICO this week that U.S. authorities are poised to begin lifting restrictions at both American frontiers in June. (Frontiers being the border with Canada & Mexico.)

Rep. Cuellar sits on the committee for homeland security which includes the subcommittee for Border Security, Facilitation and Operations.

Just have to wait and see, but each day there seems more indication from the US, they may proceed with opening of their side of the borders in June.
I'd say, it'll be around July 1st or July 4th for both sides. If the US opens the borders than Canada can't say no for a long time, especially in light of the vaccination progress.
Old May 28th 2021, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I'd say, it'll be around July 1st or July 4th for both sides. If the US opens the borders than Canada can't say no for a long time, especially in light of the vaccination progress.

Biden is going to have a tough time with the mounting pressure from congress and state level politicians of border states, even Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has sent a letter to the White House to put pressuring on ending the closure and reopening of the border.

I guess technically if they keep it closed for July 1 and July 4 and reopen it on July 5th the reports of it opening in June would be wrong.

Will be an interesting month ahead I think.

I want it to reopen so I can go down and stock up on some cheese, butter, and ice cream, I miss my tillamook.

Old May 28th 2021, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Biden is going to have a tough time with the mounting pressure from congress and state level politicians of border states, even Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has sent a letter to the White House to put pressuring on ending the closure and reopening of the border.

I guess technically if they keep it closed for July 1 and July 4 and reopen it on July 5th the reports of it opening in June would be wrong.

Will be an interesting month ahead I think.

I want it to reopen so I can go down and stock up on some cheese, butter, and ice cream, I miss my tillamook.

Ultimately the pressure will only increase to reopen the border, if vaccination uptake increases and intensive care units on both sides have a good level of free capacity. And then there is the economic pressure, hospitality and airline industry and their recovery, and jobs related to that.

If the vaccination rate is 70% or so, neither country will be able to enforce any quarantine rule on those travellers who have actually been vaccinated with that idiotic "you still could" and "we still don't have any scientific evidence" kind of talk.
Old May 29th 2021, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute

Am currently a 14d-detainee inside a Trudeau-Hajdu-Tam DQF. Would be happy to answer any questions from anybody who might themselves end up being locked up inside one of these places.
Old May 29th 2021, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vinegarboy
Am currently a 14d-detainee inside a Trudeau-Hajdu-Tam DQF. Would be happy to answer any questions from anybody who might themselves end up being locked up inside one of these places.
Can I ask what are the circumstances of your arrival in Canada and subsequent "internment"?
Old May 29th 2021, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Can I ask what are the circumstances of your arrival in Canada and subsequent "internment"?
Sure. A full 5 weeks before coming back up to Canada, I'd duly filled-in & submitted the "ArriveCAN" thing. That particular app's instructions said to fill it in & to submit it ahead of arriving at the border, so that someone could read one's quarantine plan ahead of time and then be in contact if any changes to it were deemed necessary. During the 5wks between my ArriveCAN submission and me physically presenting at the border, nobody from CBSA or PHAC or any other Canadian authority had contacted me, or (as the border PHAC guy told me on arrival) actually even read my submission, which he there & then deemed unsatisfactory; then proceeding to leave me outside for 3hrs in the heat, to wait while he sorted out what would be being done with me. I asked for water while waiting, and incredibly he refused to give me any water, which I still myself find unbelievable, even though I experienced such treatment from a PHAC official and a fellow Canadian. I have to say that the CBSA officers were almost blameless for the way I was treated, except for them having failed to stand up to & overrule the PHAC guy in order to give me water.

Last edited by vinegarboy; May 29th 2021 at 3:26 pm.
Old May 29th 2021, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Sure. A full 5 weeks before coming back up to Canada, I'd duly filled-in & submitted the "ArriveCAN" thing. That particular app's instructions said to fill it in & to submit it ahead of arriving at the border, so that someone could read one's quarantine plan ahead of time and then be in contact if any changes to it were deemed necessary. During the 5wks between my ArriveCAN submission and me physically presenting at the border, nobody from CBSA or PHAC or any other Canadian authority had contacted me, or (as the border PHAC guy told me on arrival) actually even read my submission, which he there & then deemed unsatisfactory; then proceeding to leave me outside for 3hrs in the heat, to wait while he sorted out what would be being done with me. I asked for water while waiting, and incredibly he refused to give me any water, which I still myself find unbelievable, even though I experienced such treatment from a PHAC official and a fellow Canadian. I have to say that the CBSA officers were almost blameless for the way I was treated, except for them having failed to stand up to & overrule the PHAC guy in order to give me water.
Sorry to hear it, that's pretty damn awful for you. You see this sometimes when you give someone a uniform and a little bit of power! What was it about your iso plan that they took exception too?
Old May 30th 2021, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry to hear it, that's pretty damn awful for you. You see this sometimes when you give someone a uniform and a little bit of power! What was it about your iso plan that they took exception too?
The sum-total rejection encompassed:
An older car of mine that may not start easily after 6mos of being parked over this past winter (while I was down in the U.S.).
Then a long drive in order to reach my remote cottage out on the prairie.
That I have no family in Canada to help by stocking the cottage with food for me or to leave it along my route for me to pick up.
That I'd travelled to the U.S. without being in any exemption group as regards the Govt's travel advisory/restrictions.
Being a rural/country person and from a conservative Prairie Province didn't help either, I strongly suspect.

So, after 3hrs of him sitting inside at his terminal (while I sweated outside, waterless), he emerged to order me Covid-swabbed & then bundled dog & I into the back of a small bus, which had no functioning air-conditioning, no blinds on the windows, and onto a specific seat of which at the rear dog & I were told to sit. After a half-hour of travel, the temperature inside the bus was climbing rapidly, and my brachycephalic dog was panting furiously. I asked them to turn up the A/C but nothing happened (inoperative?); then I asked them to ooen the windows and was promptly told not to (PHAC regulation?). So, with a near-heat-distressed dog in my lap, I phoned 911 and was told that they couldn't help me (federal operations trump the Police?). So I stood up and opened the windows myself to hold my dog up to the breeze to try to help him cool down. That not working, I then picked him up and carried him to the front of the bus to put him close to the cold air vent which was cooling the driver and the 'nurse.' And so we arrived at the DQF over an hour later. But at least I saved my dog.
Old May 31st 2021, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Positive news from Europe - No Quarantine travel for the Vaccinated is planned.

Hopefully US/Canada will be next!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...n=true#image=1
Old May 31st 2021, 7:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

But
France tightens curbs on travel from UK amid Indian variant fears
Travellers from the UK will have to provide “compelling reasons” to enter France from Monday, as French authorities tighten curbs to halt the spread of the Indian Covid variant.

Travel to France from the UK will be permitted only for EU nationals, French residents, or those travelling for essential reasons.

Those who are allowed to make the journey must take a pre-departure Covid test and quarantine for seven days on arrival.
Further...
France is listed as an “amber” destination by the UK government, which advises against travel there, with British authorities requiring people to self-isolate for 10 days and take two Covid tests on their return.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Hopefully US/Canada will be next!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...n=true#image=1
Meanwhile fully-vaccinated travellers comme moi are being held at DQFs around Canada, which are kept under a news blackout federal gag order because Canadians would be deeply unsettled by what goes on in here...
Old Jun 1st 2021, 10:07 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile fully-vaccinated travellers comme moi are being held at DQFs around Canada, which are kept under a news blackout federal gag order because Canadians would be deeply unsettled by what goes on in here...
How are you smuggling your BE posts out? By pigeon?

Old Jun 1st 2021, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How are you smuggling your BE posts out? By pigeon?

I haven't seen Dick Dastardly & Muttley for decades, haha. There's www access here, but we're only allowed to relate things to friends & family; so yes, I'm taking the considerable liberty of encompassing BE under the former category. We're not permitted to reveal any details of exact location, or operational details, because we're being held under the extraordinarily restrictive powers of the federal Quarantine Act; with violations being punishable offenses.

Last edited by vinegarboy; Jun 1st 2021 at 11:35 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen Dick Dastardly & Muttley for decades, haha. There's www access here, but we're only allowed to relate things to friends & family; so yes, I'm taking the considerable liberty of encompassing BE under the former category. We're not permitted to reveal any details of exact location, or operational details, because we're being held under the extraordinarily restrictive powers of the federal Quarantine Act; with violations being punishable offenses.
Speak to the media "anonymously." The word needs to get out and the government needs to be held accountable for what they are doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.