Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Feb 7th 2021, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

If you are visiting the UK, you may return home. You should check whether there are any restrictions in place at your destination.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national...ational-travel

You can leave the UK as per above, and you can enter Canada subject to obeying the regulations.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 5:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darkneal
Thanks for the replies...but I've cancelled the trip. My anxiety was going at warp speed and i just can't function when this happens, I get little to no sleep. It also is a good indication that i really should be listening to my gut. Its just such a bad time to go, whatever way I looked at it, so i'll keep my options open and more than likely go on a whim during the summer if things have calmed down. Or even wait till the autumn and get the vaccination here first. I'll see if i can find a short-term let here for a bit.

I wonder if the Canadian government will give special dispensation to those of us who have lost years from their PR period because of the pandemic and maybe give those years back? (or at least make re-applying a helluva lot easier for us this time around)
I would suggest you get on a flight and get here before August 2021 to ensure you can meet the residency requirements to retain PR! Returning as soon as you can would be my recommendation - who knows what might happen in 'the summer' that could preclude you from returning.. you will kick yourself if you lose your PR status and don't qualify for any other route again. Think of all the hard work, time and money you put in to get it in the first place! You can do this - get on a flight asap
There's nothing legally stopping you from returning to Canada, it's a choice. Yes, your trip would be 'essential travel'
It could be months before you are in the 'vaccine' group in the UK..

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry to say, but I don't think they will. PR's have been able to return to Canada at any time, so there is no reason why they'd give leeway on the residency obligation IMO.

I agree with the others, that your travel is essential - you are a resident returning to live, that's very different to somebody resident elsewhere wanting a nice holiday.
+1
There are no legal reasons for not returning,. there are no reasons for the Govt to make any dispensation for those who are already PR's.

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 7th 2021 at 5:16 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

£1750 - the cost of UK hotel quarantine - makes Canada's $2000 look like a bargain!

Health secretary reveals fee for hotel quarantine - and the stiff penalty for lying at border (msn.com)
Old Feb 9th 2021, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

I thought Canada was 3 days and UK 10 days?
Old Feb 9th 2021, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I thought Canada was 3 days and UK 10 days?
Yeah I suppose the "value" depends on the length of your stay! As I understand it the price is $2000 for up to 14 days. You can checkout after 3 days with a clear test but the price remains the same.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Yeah I suppose the "value" depends on the length of your stay! As I understand it the price is $2000 for up to 14 days. You can checkout after 3 days with a clear test but the price remains the same.
I understood it to be from $2,000 which to me implies that’s for the 3 days, anything above would cost you more.

as with everything, clear as mud.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

So you need to test positive to get your moneys worth, not sure that makes sense.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 5:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Details of what the hotels will be required to conform with: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ted-hotel.html

It's 3 days in a hotel, while you wait for the results of the test. If positive you may be sent to a government facility; otherwise you can go to your home or other quarantine planned place for the rest of the 14 days.

Interesting to read that Alberta offer help/free hotel rooms for those who can't stay at home in Alberta and can't afford anywhere themselves.
https://www.alberta.ca/isolation.aspx#help

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 9th 2021 at 5:16 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
So you need to test positive to get your moneys worth, not sure that makes sense.
what about any of this this does make sense anymore
Old Feb 9th 2021, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
what about any of this this does make sense anymore
You have a point.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Why some want a total travel ban
A 29-year-old man has been charged after allegedly providing a false COVID-19 test result to inspectors at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.
Peel Regional Police say the incident took place on Monday, Feb. 8. at a Canada Border Services Agency inspection point, where a CBSA officer and public quarantine officer were conducting checks.
"When a man's negative COVID-19 document was revealed to be fraudulent, it was, in fact, a positive test result," police said in a news release Wednesday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rson-1.5909286
Old Feb 10th 2021, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Why some want a total travel ban
A 29-year-old man has been charged after allegedly providing a false COVID-19 test result to inspectors at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.
Peel Regional Police say the incident took place on Monday, Feb. 8. at a Canada Border Services Agency inspection point, where a CBSA officer and public quarantine officer were conducting checks.
"When a man's negative COVID-19 document was revealed to be fraudulent, it was, in fact, a positive test result," police said in a news release Wednesday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rson-1.5909286
That requires a huge fine, maybe a bit of jail time/house arrest.

Really think there ideally needs to be some sort of register between cooperating countries - I.e the pcr test done in France is logged on a global system, Canadian authorities can log on check result, dob and name of person etc.

Obviously it's still open to abuse by sending someone else for a test using your details. But currently in the UK it was seconds on photoshop to get a test result and no way of verifying that result.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

My Covid inoculation card looks like it could have been produced on a John Bull printer.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 10:53 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Interesting to read that Alberta offer help/free hotel rooms for those who can't stay at home in Alberta and can't afford anywhere themselves.
https://www.alberta.ca/isolation.aspx#help
I think Ontario has those too. It makes sense because you have a lot of families who will live together with generations due to their original culture. Growing up in the anglophone west, we're very accustomed to leaving the nest and living independently as soon we're financially able, but that's not the case in many other parts of the world.

Given the UK's large Pakistani and Bangladeshi population in particularly, I think the UK needs to adopt a similar method. They keep complaining about higher than average rates amongst the BAME community and I'm going to wager that's been a contributing factor.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Feb 11th 2021 at 10:55 am.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I think Ontario has those too. It makes sense because you have a lot of families who will live together with generations due to their original culture. Growing up in the anglophone west, we're very accustomed to leaving the nest and living independently as soon we're financially able, but that's not the case in many other parts of the world.

Given the UK's large Pakistani and Bangladeshi population in particularly, I think the UK needs to adopt a similar method. They keep complaining about higher than average rates amongst the BAME community and I'm going to wager that's been a contributing factor.
UK enforced quarantine doesn't apply to travellers from the Indian Sub Continent. It is mainly just South America and South Africa that is affected. As far as Canada is concerned I think the hotel accommodation should be free for all Canadians be they PRs/ Citizens/ COPR holders who were aboard at the time it was announced. We landed last spring but if our family of 6 had been caught up in this it would have meant an unexpected $12000 bill!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.