Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jul 13th 2020, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I doubt they'd ever be able to prove that one in a court of law tbh.
It would be interesting case to watch if they did try though.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 9:23 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It would be interesting case to watch if they did try though.
Well that's one way of looking at it. Another would be a total waste of public money.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 10:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
As said, it's that stubborn attitude which bothers me. Why are other countries doing tests at airports and are actually successful? Do they just test for the fun of it? .
I've answered that question twice already and so have others. Why are you still asking it? If you disagree, fine, say so. But ask a question answered and continue to ask it suggests you can't be bothered reading what people say.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Do you understand that those countries are tiny compared to Canada ... with few cases, comparitively?
Do you understand that all the test can tell you is that you are not sick at that particular moment in time -- an hour or a day later you could test positive.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 10:16 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

It's also about things "you don't get". ...sadly.....
Surely the only bit to "get" is that if you are intending to come to Canada, then you are going to follow the rules and etiquette that Canada requires? If you have no intention of doing so, either stay the hell away or just stop playing semantics hoping that some sad sap is going to agree with you, so that you feel better.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's one way of looking at it. Another would be a total waste of public money.
Canadian government doesn't care about wasting public money, its like a Canadian tradition to waste it.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 10:34 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian government doesn't care about wasting public money, its like a Canadian tradition to waste it.
True that, they love their bureaucracy as well. Anything that involves needlessly inconveniencing people and potentially pissing thousands of dollars in tax revenue down the drain for no reason is good with them.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you do return and choose to ignore the rules and get caught then please don't start up a Go Fund Me page or ask us to visit you in jail.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 10:37 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If you do return and choose to ignore the rules and get caught then please don't start up a Go Fund Me page or ask us to visit you in jail.
Can you do a go fund me for bail money? I'd love to see someone try that.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 11:09 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

In a big house with a big garden, as some other user suggested?
I believe you're referring to me. Except I didn't say a 'big house' or a 'big garden' I've just checked airbnb for you (no need to thank me ), you can rent a basement apartment with bedroom (king bed), bathroom and toilet, kitchen and big living area, with private outdoor space, for $940/£550 for 15 nights in August 2020, a 5 minute cab ride from Toronto Pearson airport.

You're right though, this discussion is going nowhere. You'll either make the move and carry on with your life, or you won't. Best of luck!
Old Jul 13th 2020, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

Can you do a go fund me for bail money? I'd love to see someone try that.
Quickly searching bail on go fund me, does appear you can, there are some where is for a specific person, other are groups raising money to bail out protesters and such.

Old Jul 14th 2020, 12:02 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Quickly searching bail on go fund me, does appear you can, there are some where is for a specific person, other are groups raising money to bail out protesters and such.
You can use Go Fund Me for any legal purpose so collecting money for someone's bail would be perfectly fine. Not something I'd contribute to unless a family member or close friend, and even that would depend on the circumstances.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I believe you're referring to me. Except I didn't say a 'big house' or a 'big garden' I've just checked airbnb for you (no need to thank me ), you can rent a basement apartment with bedroom (king bed), bathroom and toilet, kitchen and big living area, with private outdoor space, for $940/£550 for 15 nights in August 2020, a 5 minute cab ride from Toronto Pearson airport.

You're right though, this discussion is going nowhere. You'll either make the move and carry on with your life, or you won't. Best of luck!
It's probably best not to discuss things with individual when the opinion differs too much. One can't discuss with an ardent Brexiteer that EU membership of the UK is actually beneficial. Especially if questions remain, and are never answered. For instance the resumption and increase of Air Canada flights to Europe and Asia? Why is that done? - Why don't they just allow flights to countries where the infection rates are lower? And before all the naysayers start going again, Canada requires eTAs for foreigners which can be refused to residents / citizens of certain countries due to the pandemic or those pretending to be in a low infection country.

The problem is this stubborn attitude and the number of people adhering to this attitude. In Europe, so far and as I understood the situation, they are and were reviewing quarantine requirements regularly. Free travel was restricted and only with quarantine when the situation was really bad in Spain, Italy and France and most countries seem to have closed their borders. Even when Italy had a very high number of cases and Austria didn't, Austria required a strict 14 day quarantine, but also the option of a negative test to cut the quarantine short, and still the numbers were kept under control in Austria. I also never wrote against quarantine in general, however I doubt very much if it's necessary to quarantine somebody arriving from a low infection country and difficult to police, whilst somebody who arrives from a high infection country is treated the same....

What I simply don't get, is that in Canada the general thought is that quarantine is the number one solution to everything. It seems the ONE thing, one is never supposed to question, and every criticism will always be answered "you could", "You would" and "test results are wrong anyway" or "mostly wrong" or "to a certain percentage wrong". Maybe testing in Canada is inferior to other countries? Maybe it's the methodology?

I've never spent 14 days in an apartment, or a basement apartment without leaving. Strictly theoretically speaking, I couldn't do it. It would be beyond my capabilities.

Also, the authorities can't just fine everybody who just happens to be out on the streets $ 1000 on the spot. They'd have to ID somebody before, who they actually are, etc.... And doing that for the whole street or the whole neighbourhood either requires mass surveillance or a whole army of police. Or they really start with electronic tagging and electronic bracelets. It wouldn't surprise me. According to some opinions here, they would have a lot of support for that.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jul 14th 2020 at 3:43 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 4:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably best not to discuss things with individual when the opinion differs too much. One can't discuss with an ardent Brexiteer that EU membership of the UK is actually beneficial. Especially if questions remain, and are never answered. For instance the resumption and increase of Air Canada flights to Europe and Asia? Why is that done? - Why don't they just allow flights to countries where the infection rates are lower? And before all the naysayers start going again, Canada requires eTAs for foreigners which can be refused to residents / citizens of certain countries due to the pandemic or those pretending to be in a low infection country.

The problem is this stubborn attitude and the number of people adhering to this attitude. In Europe, so far and as I understood the situation, they are and were reviewing quarantine requirements regularly. Free travel was restricted and only with quarantine when the situation was really bad in Spain, Italy and France and most countries seem to have closed their borders. Even when Italy had a very high number of cases and Austria didn't, Austria required a strict 14 day quarantine, but also the option of a negative test to cut the quarantine short, and still the numbers were kept under control in Austria. I also never wrote against quarantine in general, however I doubt very much if it's necessary to quarantine somebody arriving from a low infection country and difficult to police, whilst somebody who arrives from a high infection country is treated the same....

What I simply don't get, is that in Canada the general thought is that quarantine is the number one solution to everything. It seems the ONE thing, one is never supposed to question, and every criticism will always be answered "you could", "You would" and "test results are wrong anyway" or "mostly wrong" or "to a certain percentage wrong". Maybe testing in Canada is inferior to other countries? Maybe it's the methodology?

I've never spent 14 days in an apartment, or a basement apartment without leaving. Strictly theoretically speaking, I couldn't do it. It would be beyond my capabilities.

Also, the authorities can't just fine everybody who just happens to be out on the streets $ 1000 on the spot. They'd have to ID somebody before, who they actually are, etc.... And doing that for the whole street or the whole neighbourhood either requires mass surveillance or a whole army of police. Or they really start with electronic tagging and electronic bracelets. It wouldn't surprise me. According to some opinions here, they would have a lot of support for that.
A 'low infection country' isn't relevant - what is relevant is that you will be travelling to an airport... wandering around that airport - where there will be hundreds (potentially thousands) of people from all over the world..... and then you will get in a tin can for 8 hours before walking around another airport where potentially thousands of people are... and could potentially be infected.. and pass it along.

I have a relative who suffers from claustrophobia and normally cannot stay inside for more than a couple of hours (unless they are sleeping), they are usually out walking for hours everyday, or visiting pensioners or volunteering. They had to quarantine for 14 days - but they did it because they believed - and rightly so - that they had a duty of care to others to ensure they couldn't pass anything on. If you got a garden apartment, you wouldn't be inside all the time - I have confidence that a strong person such as yourself could do it.

Really though, all you are doing is trying to validate your reasons for avoiding quarantine and justify your doing so. Unfortunately the majority do not agree with you, as is clear.
Time to consider sticking to the rules and save a lot of grief..... there are many on here who would be willing to help you find suitable accommodation that you felt you could 'deal' with - including myself.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 14th 2020 at 4:39 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 4:56 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I
14 day quarantine is employed in several other countries, notably NZ and Australia, but also still in the UK as well.

If it beyond your capabilities then, as has been suggested, don't come here. You know what the rules are. You may not like them, but its pretty friggin arrogant to think that because you can't or won't comply its alright for you to ignore. Stay outside of the country until quarantine is relaxed. And stop trying to flog a dead horse on this thread.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
A 'low infection country' isn't relevant - what is relevant is that you will be travelling to an airport... wandering around that airport - where there will be hundreds (potentially thousands) of people from all over the world..... and then you will get in a tin can for 8 hours before walking around another airport where potentially thousands of people are... and could potentially be infected.. and pass it along.

I have a relative who suffers from claustrophobia and normally cannot stay inside for more than a couple of hours (unless they are sleeping), they are usually out walking for hours everyday, or visiting pensioners or volunteering. They had to quarantine for 14 days - but they did it because they believed - and rightly so - that they had a duty of care to others to ensure they couldn't pass anything on. If you got a garden apartment, you wouldn't be inside all the time - I have confidence that a strong person such as yourself could do it.

Really though, all you are doing is trying to validate your reasons for avoiding quarantine and justify your doing so. Unfortunately the majority do not agree with you, as is clear.
Time to consider sticking to the rules and save a lot of grief..... there are many on here who would be willing to help you find suitable accommodation that you felt you could 'deal' with - including myself.
If you're referring that tin can as an airplane you're well advised that the air quality inside a plane is as clean as it can be, even to the levels of an operating theatre in a hospital. Busses and trains are certainly worse, for infections. Oddly singing in public and in confined spaces, especially religious services are really a bad idea these days.

As a citizen it's my right to disagree with the government. I think that many things in the Corona pandemic could have been handled better and differently by the Canadian government. Compulsory masks were introduced way too late in Canada for instance. Also the lack of tracking is an issue, other countries introduced Corona apps for cell phones, some made them even mandatory. Regarding travel, there should be a number of countries marked as a green and as a red list, - like they do in Europe. Those who return from the countries of red list must quarantine or pay the price of the test, and that precisely must be policed properly with a strong focus.

Also the Canadian government hasn't looked very much at other countries, ( except for the negative example of the Trump - US ) and only considered themselves as the right ones with the right choices, with a bit of a self-centered attitude. I find that rather sad and even surprising. I haven't been absent from Canada that long, but maybe the country changed very much in the recent months?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.