Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Old Jan 31st 2021, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine for COVID 19 discussions.

Originally Posted by scilly
The system for farm workers worked fine here.

Granted, some of them contracted covid after leaving quarantine, but very little seemed to get out into the general population.

BC really depends on these migrant workers who come back year after year to the same place.

Otherwise farmers don't get their crops sown, tended or harvested, 'cos most Canadians won't do it.

For us, it is food crops ............. no workers, no veggies or fruit.

Apple orchards are popular summer work with many Quebecers

For Ontario, it seems to be tobacco in one region, and food crops in others.
We need them here too, yes the majority of Canadians dont want to do the work.

They should arrive 14 days before they need to start work and quarantine suitably just like everyone else and not given an exemption.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
We need them here too, yes the majority of Canadians dont want to do the work.

They should arrive 14 days before they need to start work and quarantine suitably just like everyone else and not given an exemption.

The workers in BC were not given any exemption. I don't know what happened in Ontario.

They had to do the full 14 day quarantine.

There was a lot of confusion last year, but in fact many of them did end up arriving only slightly delayed here and did not lose as much time in the fields as they might have done.

I think there was so much pressure on the provincial government that urgent arrangements were made.

The effect was that crops were planted slightly later than they should have been but the end production was not reduced by very much.

I didn't pay much attention to how things were going in Ontario, but we got a lot of news about the BC workers.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Going through Mexico isn't getting around the law, you are still following 14 day quarantine when you arrive in Canada, and a PCR test at the land border. Flying into the US, then driving across the border into Canada is not breaking any law as long as you follow quarantine, so stop saying that it is. I was suggesting it to avoid a double quarantine of 14 days in international airport arrival province then another 14 days in the atlantic bubble if that is your final destination.

if people are following the law they should not be going to a grocery store after the 3 day hotel quarantine, they should be going directly home and getting said groceries delivered.
The point is ......................

IF people are following the law, they should not be going to a grocery store.

Do you trust every single person to do as they are meant to do ?

I'm much more cynical than you ........ maybe because we've had Americans being caught sneaking around and disobeying/ignoring the law for almost a year now.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

The point is ......................

IF people are following the law, they should not be going to a grocery store.

Do you trust every single person to do as they are meant to do ?

I'm much more cynical than you ........ maybe because we've had Americans being caught sneaking around and disobeying/ignoring the law for almost a year now.
I agree with you, I literally used that example in the post you quoted

I'm maybe not as cynical as you because I am more in the camp of the alberta program being expanded to the rest of the country rather then this quarantine, but I thnk any reasonable person whether they agree with quarantine or not wouldn't risk the $$$$$ fine and jail time and just suck it up and follow the law, and if you have a problem with it take it up with your MP (I know I have, and will continue to do.)
Old Jan 31st 2021, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The workers in BC were not given any exemption. I don't know what happened in Ontario.

They had to do the full 14 day quarantine.

There was a lot of confusion last year, but in fact many of them did end up arriving only slightly delayed here and did not lose as much time in the fields as they might have done.

I think there was so much pressure on the provincial government that urgent arrangements were made.

The effect was that crops were planted slightly later than they should have been but the end production was not reduced by very much.

I didn't pay much attention to how things were going in Ontario, but we got a lot of news about the BC workers.
They were given exemptions here, and in cases where they weren't they broke quarantine and started working and spreading to other workers.

I am very close to the area where a lot of the anti-lockdown religious protests come from and I am imagining alot of the migrant workers identify with these groups so they are not likely to follow any sort of covid measures.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 4:44 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Not directed anywhere at all. It is that I am reading so much angst and rattling against what is this reality. Not just here but elsewhere also.

How about applying common sense and also some personal individual care and concern towards oneself, a family, neighbours, community.

I would hope everyone now knows exactly what this virus can and does do to folks of all ages. That is all ages. We all have a responsibility to not help any spread. Govts worldwide have put rules and regs in place to help with that because people can be really unaware or not caring of others as can be freely seen. Some Govts have done poorly and some have not. Some have properly listened to health advice and some have not. Some put money first over a nation = real people, some have not.
However there is no doubt that if one wants to actually starve this virus of hosts which then leads to more and more spread and so more hosts, then we simply and logically have to just stop with all the railing against this current situation. Each and every single one of us. Accept and overcome. If any one of us , just one of us, does not then it simply prolongs the pandemic really - with or without assorted vaccines - and all humankind suffers difficulties for longer & some of those people are already under dreadful duress.

It is hard. Very hard. So many millions of folks will have horribly sad times and dreadful memories. It is like a piece of SciFi in a way. One month people going about what they want for their lives ;the next month a huge amount of change and adjustment. That is what it will take . Huge change and adjustment. Look to what is good nearby and make the best. For now the world needs us to just be still.

Old Jan 31st 2021, 8:29 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion? If I was you i'd stay in the UK.

JerseyGirl is right. You won't want to live under the current restrictions...
Yes, I am leaning towards that option tbh. I did already accept a job and I don't like letting people down or going back on my word but, as I said in my earlier post, it's starting to feel like this is just a sign from fate and my move to Canada just wasn't meant to happen.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 8:37 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, it isn't for the government .................

The security is to stop stupid idiots leaving quarantine and infecting those of us who have been trying to keep ourselves safe for the last year.
​​​​​​
​​​​
Then you pay for the security. I can understand your anger towards those who left for a Caribbean vacation but why should a new immigrant family, international student or Canadian who needs to return from a long time away be punished financially for the actions of others?
Old Jan 31st 2021, 9:08 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
As already has been said, the cost and the mandatory quarantine (along with the whole ban on trips to Sun destinations till April) is largely in place to help stop non essential travel. Much like the semi rich and almost famous Brits have grown weary of the restrictions and flown off to Dubai in droves. To either come back and break quarantine, or just accept staying at home for 2 weeks post trip - that's now out of the window.

For me its a huge step forward, and a step towards more open travel (although it doesn't seem like it now) I'm not going to say its too late/too early as hindsight is a wonderful thing. It really will separate essential travel out, stop people abusing the repeated repatriations I'm seeing on other forums etc.

The bit which I'm interested in is how it works for those with onwards flights into other provinces, as I'm doubting Moncton/Regina/Halifax etc will have quarantine facilities. So makes sense you would quarantine at the initial point of entry which is controlled - but if testing positive you could end up doing 14 days in Government facilities in Alberta - to get an internal flight and then do another 14 days provincial quarantine directly after. Personally I'm fairly happy with the situation in as much as if I get PR/Student visa prior to the end of these measures - I'm in a place both mentally and financially to endure this quarantine (granted if the extra 11 days required for a positive would bump the $2000 3 day cost up to $9000 I'd have to have a rethink on value - but assuming the $2000 is a blanket charge regardless of time needed). I feel for those with limited funds who need to return home, but hope their will be some sort of assistance/grants available to help (as a one off!) those that need it.
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the settlement and humanitarian agencies push the federal government to subsidise or waive the costs for certain groups of people but it will really all depend on what actually gets implemented and for how long I suppose. Up until now, any citizen or PR who arrives without a reasonable quarantine plan is housed in a hotel at the government's expense.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canad...ovid-1.5691370

Also it would be interesting to know what would happen if a family arrived and the youngest child tested positive but the other family members did not. Presumably they're not going to take a child away from their parents and shove them in a hotel room alone for 11 days.

Internationally this idea seems closer to the Korean quarantine model than that of Australia, NZ, or the UK but there are a lot of unknowns atm.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Murder might be on the cards if there are 5 people in one room for even 3 nights with absolutely no outlet..
​​​​​​Well that might not be too far off the mark. Shocking report from CTV, and these presumably aren't families who've been imprisoned by the government in one room.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ZolZbV&ampcf=1

Last edited by Revin Kevin; Jan 31st 2021 at 11:11 am.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

I support the implementation of this given the qty of flights from sun destinations that had positive cases onboard in the last 2 weeks. That said, as someone who travelled this month for the death of my father, the vagueness of when this will be implemented is disappointing. I will move my return flight forward by 48 hours in the hope I can avoid being caught in hotel quarantine, as I’m not imagining there will be any exemptions for compassionate grounds.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Confirmation of vaccination before flight - no doubt this will be coming to an airline near you soon!
"Qantas CEO Says No Vaccine, No Fly - Simple Flying" https://simpleflying.com/qantas-ceo-immunity-passports/
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Confirmation of vaccination before flight - no doubt this will be coming to an airline near you soon!
"Qantas CEO Says No Vaccine, No Fly - Simple Flying" https://simpleflying.com/qantas-ceo-immunity-passports/
Since that article was published Qantas has clarified that the above doesn't include people who are medically exempt from receiving a vaccine. Also, it won't apply to countries that Australia forms 'travel bubbles' with, New Zealand is a likely example of that.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Friend just travelled for US to Mexico yesterday, had a current test, that was fun timing, but nobody asked for it.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I fear the way this is going we're heading for a tripple lock of travel restrictions: vaccine, test(s) and quarantine could become the norm. The thing we used to moan about, the air fare will then be a small fraction of our travel costs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.