Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Plumbers crack

The Plumbers crack

Old May 5th 2010, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Plumbers crack

I'm beginning to thnk that some people here are really stupid. It's not personal insults. It's what I really think.

Of course being educated in the arts help you understand them!!!!!!!!!!!!

Education helps you understand anything!

Escape to the countries on.........bugger this nonsense.
Old May 5th 2010, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kate 17
I'm beginning to thnk that some people here are really stupid. It's not personal insults. It's what I really think.

Don't move the goal posts. You specified a university education not being educated. There is a difference.
Old May 5th 2010, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that a lot of people are denying that an arts/ social education would give an appreciation of a non popular culture. I don't doubt your brother has aesthetic leanings without a university education, but a university education in the arts, has to help in the appreciation of it The understanding of art and literature leads to the understanding of life it's self.

In Canada, the culture is mainly sport and trite media as well as the outdoor life. it's not enough for me personally and that's why I'm going home as a university educated person,but even if I wasn't one, I would still want more out of life than I'm getting here.

I did read however that a university education does not correlate with an appreciation of art and literature so I will concede that a lot of university educated people are going back to the Uk for job related reasons.

This is a little paragraph I found about popular culture. The Uk has a debased culture as well. I'm not saying it hasn't I just think that there are more opportunities there to avoid it.

n Rosenberg and White's book Mass Culture, MacDonald argues that " Popular culture is a debased, trivial culture that voids both the deep realities (sex, death, failure, tragedy) and also the simple spontaneous pleasures. . . . The masses, debauched by several generations of this sort of thing, in turn come to demand trivial and comfortable cultural products."[7] Van den Haag argues that "...all mass media in the end alienate people from personal experience and though appearing to offset it, intensify their moral isolation from each other, from reality and from themselves." He argues that mass media then lessens "...people's capacity to experience life itself." ."[8] Critics have lamented the ".. replacement of high art and authentic folk culture by tasteless industrialised artefacts produced on a mass scale in order to satisfy the lowest common denominator." [9] This "mass culture emerged after the Second World War and have led to the concentration of mass-culture power in ever larger global media conglomerates." The popular press decreased the amount of news or information that and replaced it with entertainment or titilation that reinforces "... fears, prejudice, scapegoating processes, paranoia, and aggression." [10]

All this before I have even finished my coffee!!!!!
Which obviously accounts for your footnoting starting at 7 and ending at 10, skipping 1-6. Said brother regularly frequents west end stages (actor, not viewer, though viewer too) so I'd say he has the arts and liberal stuff well covered.

And regardless of having something covered, I can't say I see the sun as astounding journalism. Good investigative reporting? Very hard to come by.

And I would argue, admittedly though my sources are on a container on the ocean, that britain is falling victim mostly to the rise of the monster 'moral panic' and that we all need to take a chill pill. You are not going to get mugged by roving hordes of teens wherever you go! Especially not as a little old lady! you're the least likely victim. Try male, 18-24 demographic.
Old May 5th 2010, 3:12 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Why the necessity for a degree, though? I have no formal education in the fine arts - I'm a graduate engineer, for God's sake, you can't get much more Philistine an education than that. However, I can read and write, and through the wonders of the printing press (a piece of technolgy, by the way, invented by an artificer goldsmith, who today would probably be considered an engineer) I have access to books about high culture and the arts, through which I have been able to learn enough to appreciate fine art, literature, music, etc. Nor, incidentally, does that mean I magically lose the ability to appreciate sport, the "outdoor life," or any of the other "low culture" pursuits that you so derided in an earlier post.
Old May 5th 2010, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
This folksy anti-intellectualism is so north America, way to go with the assimilation. Sarah Palin rocks.

nope, I value intellect just as much as the next person. If I didn't, i'd have dropped out of htat MSc and gone into cabinetry or joinery. But at the same time i don't see how that makes me any better (or worse!) than the people who did that.

Just that I can see that my brain is more able than my hands. Both have their place in moderate society and we need both. After all, without us geeks, there would be no lightbulbs for the electricians to wire up (getting my timeline mixed up a bit, but hey, you get the drift. )

We need both. And we need to respect both.
Old May 5th 2010, 3:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that a lot of people are denying that an arts/ social education would give an appreciation of a non popular culture. I don't doubt your brother has aesthetic leanings without a university education, but a university education in the arts, has to help in the appreciation of it The understanding of art and literature leads to the understanding of life it's self.

In Canada, the culture is mainly sport and trite media as well as the outdoor life. it's not enough for me personally and that's why I'm going home as a university educated person,but even if I wasn't one, I would still want more out of life than I'm getting here.

I did read however that a university education does not correlate with an appreciation of art and literature so I will concede that a lot of university educated people are going back to the Uk for job related reasons.

This is a little paragraph I found about popular culture. The Uk has a debased culture as well. I'm not saying it hasn't I just think that there are more opportunities there to avoid it.

n Rosenberg and White's book Mass Culture, MacDonald argues that " Popular culture is a debased, trivial culture that voids both the deep realities (sex, death, failure, tragedy) and also the simple spontaneous pleasures. . . . The masses, debauched by several generations of this sort of thing, in turn come to demand trivial and comfortable cultural products."[7] Van den Haag argues that "...all mass media in the end alienate people from personal experience and though appearing to offset it, intensify their moral isolation from each other, from reality and from themselves." He argues that mass media then lessens "...people's capacity to experience life itself." ."[8] Critics have lamented the ".. replacement of high art and authentic folk culture by tasteless industrialised artefacts produced on a mass scale in order to satisfy the lowest common denominator." [9] This "mass culture emerged after the Second World War and have led to the concentration of mass-culture power in ever larger global media conglomerates." The popular press decreased the amount of news or information that and replaced it with entertainment or titilation that reinforces "... fears, prejudice, scapegoating processes, paranoia, and aggression." [10]

All this before I have even finished my coffee!!!!!
I think you have a good point and I applaud your concise and linear augment. I too think that people with, lets say, more formal schooling are more adept at understanding their surroundings, rationally and analytically. Plus, they tend to be better looking, drive nicer cars and often smell better.
Old May 5th 2010, 3:35 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I too think that people with, lets say, more formal schooling are more adept at understanding their surroundings, rationally and analytically. Plus, they tend to be better looking, drive nicer cars and often smell better.
Sorta like the young fella in yer avatar...right.
Old May 5th 2010, 3:38 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Oi Kate why did you ignore comment - have to troll, sorry trawl all the way back to find it now.

Or do you only debate with the university educated ones?
Old May 5th 2010, 3:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Sorta like the young fella in yer avatar...right.
I'll have you know that in Barry Hines' sequal we find our Jimmy went on to do double in Ornithology and Hegelian Phenomenology.

Last edited by Oink; May 5th 2010 at 3:43 pm.
Old May 5th 2010, 3:41 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
um, but didnt you say on another thread that if people bore you etc or if "friends" are of no use you antagonise or ignore them -something along those line- I forget all of it -I got bored after your first few posts.

this one!

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
How could one not? ISTR a conversation with 4Bells on this subject - she was at the soon-to-become-Oxford-Brookes at roughly the same time I was messing about in boats in the other place at the bottom of Headington Hill. To save her blushes I won't mention how long ago that was, but you and I are doubtless more or less of an age.
shhh Oak!
Old May 5th 2010, 3:47 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll have you know that in Barry Hines' sequal we find our Jimmy went on to do double in Ornithology and Hegelian Phenomenology.
Now you see being the uneducated lout that I am, I didn't know that. Or for that matter that was who it was.
Old May 5th 2010, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Don't move the goal posts. You specified a university education not being educated. There is a difference.
I can't do this multiquote thing so I will do you one at a time.

Is not a university education the pinnacle of education in western society?
So yes, you can be self educated, but a university education has to be so much richer because profs should really know their subjects.
Old May 5th 2010, 4:38 pm
half a century

So yes, you can be self educated, but a university education has to be so much richer because profs should really know their subjects.
Better hurry up and learn then - that's another thing that pees off the pedants!
Old May 5th 2010, 4:42 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all. Being a plumber or an electrician is these days. University degrees are ten-a-penny.
Old May 5th 2010, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Caitilin
Which obviously accounts for your footnoting starting at 7 and ending at 10, skipping 1-6. Said brother regularly frequents west end stages (actor, not viewer, though viewer too) so I'd say he has the arts and liberal stuff well covered.

And regardless of having something covered, I can't say I see the sun as astounding journalism. Good investigative reporting? Very hard to come by.

And I would argue, admittedly though my sources are on a container on the ocean, that britain is falling victim mostly to the rise of the monster 'moral panic' and that we all need to take a chill pill. You are not going to get mugged by roving hordes of teens wherever you go! Especially not as a little old lady! you're the least likely victim. Try male, 18-24 demographic.
This obsession with footnotes you and Oakville! What do they matter it's the content, the central idea that counts...I can't find the original article now so I have no idea about footnotes......How I bloody hated doing the bibliography parts on papers, surely you can understand ideas without having a bloody footnote for everything! I know you both can, because you are both obviously bright.

I don't know where I mentioned the Sun it must have been in a footnote. I agree it's terrible reporting, but I love the headlines. They are composed to enrage the masses.

You are clever Caitlin,but I'm not sure what you are trying to argue about here apart from footnotes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.