Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Plumbers crack

The Plumbers crack

Old May 5th 2010, 5:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Plumbers crack

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Ah, so you're a classicist, then? You'll no doubt be familiar with the inscription over the entrance to Plato's Academy, whence derives much of Western philosophy and thus the intellectual capacity to appreciate the high arts.

Ἀγεωμέτρητος μηδεὶς εἰσίτω
Roughly: Let nobody who doesn't understand geometry enter this place.

See - they understood even in ancient Greece that a rounded education includes both the liberal arts and the natural sciences - so much so that it wasn't until after the Enlightenment that a distinction between the two branches of knowledge was made.
The separation of the arts and sciences as different mutually exclusive skills requiring different personality traits to understand them is a recent western cultural thing. It wasn't the case even in the 1800's where people like Humphrey Davie were compatriots of the Shelly's and their ilk. It's still not the case in Asia.

Ultimately I think Kate is just a manipulated product of our times and she can't really be blamed for her prejudices. The problem with pigeon holing people (like she does) is that some people believe it (like she does) and then live up to it (like she does). So an artist will dismiss something requiring engineering and an engineer will dismiss the arts; both will say it's because they don't understand it even though they probably haven't even tried. But then I would say that because I'm a Taurus.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:46 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The separation of the arts and sciences as different mutually exclusive skills requiring different personality traits to understand them is a recent western cultural thing. It wasn't the case even in the 1800's where people like Humphrey Davie were compatriots of the Shelly's and their ilk. It's still not the case in Asia.

Ultimately I think Kate is just a manipulated product of our times and she can't really be blamed for her prejudices. The problem with pigeon holing people (like she does) is that some people believe it (like she does) and then live up to it (like she does). So an artist will dismiss something requiring engineering and an engineer will dismiss the arts; both will say it's because they don't understand it even though they probably haven't even tried. But then I would say that because I'm a Taurus.
Am I allowed to agree with you even though I'm a Scorpio?
Old May 5th 2010, 5:47 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
In Kate's defense, I don't think anyone is suggesting you can't be a good person without formal education, it just means you're a bit thick. My Nan was a wonderful lady, never stole anything, never swore, made a wonderful roast dinner, but her understanding of Wittgenstein's private language argument was rudimentary at best.
Conversely, old Adolf was a big fan of the arts.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:48 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Godwin!
Old May 5th 2010, 5:49 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Well that'll go someway to repairing his somewhat tarnished reputation.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:50 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Godwin!
Lordy, now I feel like a dummy. That's lost on me, sir.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:58 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
It's ok, she's not replied to mine - post #85 - where she loses her initial argument.

ahh - I thought I was Speshul

Originally Posted by kate 17
Hello little miss ding dong,

Some posts I ignore if I think they are not worth bothering with....sometimes I do miss them, but I will answer you.

Friends was it....err I said that I do neglect my friends this is because I spend lots of time arguing with the cerebrally challenged on the internet,working, running a home, dealing with family.

Seriously can you keep up with all the people that want to be your friend...I wish I could.

I don't understand the exchange with the Oakville at all should I have done?
Um, yes I can keep up with my friends because I don't neglect them! That's why they are friends - innit - or am losing the will to live?

Any way, I am off to Whistler for the night with MY FRIENDS from the Uk, who I do not neglect and hence have come to visit me
Old May 5th 2010, 5:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
ahh - I thought I was Speshul

Um, yes I can keep up with my friends because I don't neglect them! That's why they are friends - innit - or am losing the will to live?

Any way, I am off to Whistler for the night with MY FRIENDS from the Uk, who I do not neglect and hence have come to visit me
Is there any snow left?
Old May 5th 2010, 6:00 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Is there any snow left?
Yeah - but we are going for drinking and shopping - not skiing
Old May 5th 2010, 6:06 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but here... excuse me screaming

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE ARTS AND HOW BEST TO INTERPERATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Which of course has nothing to do with your occupation or indeed formal training but rather to do with your ability to learn and appreciate new things.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:13 pm
Lowering the tone

Godwin!
Ah, I just Googled and discovered "Godwin's Law"... for those unfamiliar, it basically says that you can tell when an internet discussion is becoming tired and tedious whenever someone refers to Hitler or Nazism.

Well, this thread certainly falls into the tired and tedious category, so perhaps Mr. Godwin is a clever old chap.

Oh - it also says that whomever makes the Hitler/Nazi reference "loses" the argument, but seeing as I wasn't actually participating in the argument, contenting myself with facetiousness about broken sanitaryware, perhaps I don't have much to lose.

But thanks for making me learn something new today!
Old May 5th 2010, 6:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

But thanks for making me learn something new today!
Will you be properly able to appreciate it or do you lack a higher degree?
Old May 5th 2010, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Yeah - but we are going for drinking and shopping - not skiing
Probably just as well - it was getting ropey last time I was there and that was over three weeks ago now.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm saying that to understand Homer you probably need a bit of help.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

One last try,but only because that Greenhill made me laugh my head off. Perhaps I need to talk to you slooooooooowly and simply so that it doesn't upset your fragile minds.

Here's me Kate, a working class girl dragged up through the council estates and military bases of a breaking Britain. I didn't have the privileges of nanny making tea for me, and picnics at Ascot. I haven't drank Pimms on the lawn of Buckingham palace as a lot of you have. it was grim, coal fires and beans on toast when we were lucky. A bath once a week, and avoiding the drug pushers and thugs in school halls. The highlight of the week was Coronation street and the daily paper was the Mirror. sometimes we had the Titbits and If I was a really good girl I got to read the Beano.

Now what chance as a child, did I have of understanding the finer points of life? We didn't discuss the odyessy around the dinner table It was, "did you fill the pools in and what won at Aintree", "have you paid the milkman."

How can you jump from that to the collective unconcious without some education???? A university is a center of learning nice professors are there who point out the nuances of literature, history and philosophy. that would otherwise be missed by someone used to reading the bloody BEANO.

I personally, have had my learning advanced by going to Uni. I have nothing against people who didn't go. For me personally it was beneficial. It has enhanced my understanding of life

I have nothing against engineers, carpenters, plumbers, Scorpios Taureans
thick bar stewards on forums, Whatever.

What is so bad in saying a university enhances knowledge.

Now the snooty will look down their noses at poor little under privileged Kate.
"The working classes should stay in the gutter where their mediocre intellect belongs."

Too bad I crawled out hahahahahhaaa

Last edited by kate 17; May 5th 2010 at 6:56 pm. Reason: the usual

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.