Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help I hate it here!!!

Help I hate it here!!!

Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

RRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to all

There is a possibility if we went back now my husband can get his old job back and we can buy a house straight away in the same town and feel settled straight away - thats the dilema we feel rushed to make the decision. If we decide to stay his job will no longer be open and we would be effectively stuck here, which we may settle in and find an area we may not. Do we cut our losses and run back to what we know or give it a chance and risk not having a life to go back to?
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:39 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help I hate it here!!!

Originally Posted by dollface
I think it varies on where you live , can't take those stats as gospel.
nor yours hun
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RRhodes
There is a possibility if we went back now my husband can get his old job back and we can buy a house straight away in the same town and feel settled straight away - thats the dilema we feel rushed to make the decision. If we decide to stay his job will no longer be open and we would be effectively stuck here, which we may settle in and find an area we may not. Do we cut our losses and run back to what we know or give it a chance and risk not having a life to go back to?
its a toughie- you have to go with your gut as I said before. What line of work are you both in? What has been the response so far re applying for jobs in Ottawa? I know that youhad said nothing-but wondered if you had been given any feedback from any agency or company you had applied for...what were your reasons for wanting to leave UK?

Kingston is quite a nice area- have you looked at that? Its not far to do a recce from Ottawa?
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh R hon,
After your FB msg the other day, I truly hoped things were going ok.
Will ping you another msg on there, but the spares room empty if you guys want to head west for a week or two?
Get some of that mountain air in your lungs, and see a bit more of the country before you give up altogether.
You have come this far, why not reassess what you really want out of Canada, and life, and see if you can find it.
Big hugs, its scary when you first move out, but my two cents is that you have to give it time, and a real go.....anything less and you will still live with the what ifs.
x
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:13 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
nor yours hun
I haven't provided you with any stats, nor have I been condesceding
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Has anyone looked at your resume. I applied for 2 jobs without a resume, sent a cover letter in my email explaining I was a recent arrival and didn't have one, but gave them a synopsis of my experience. I was offered both jobs, one took the piss with their offer, the other one asked what I wanted and agreed to it after some negotiating. The oh has loads of experience but hasn't got as far as an interview. She saw someone at the employment service yesterday, who told her she had the experience, but her resume was not written in a way that appeals to Canadians. They are now helping her with her resume and job applications, fingers crossed.
Whatever you decide, you will always wonder what would be different if you took the other course of action. Personally I would give it a bit longer, but that's my personality, I tend not to give up, but I am not in your shoes, only you can decide. There are plenty of people on here who will give you help and support if you want it. If you let people know what you jobs you are looking for, I am sure they will keep an ear open for you.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:44 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you I'd go home now before winter sets in.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:46 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
If I were you I'd go home now before winter sets in.
especially in Ottawa bbbbbrrrrrrrr
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Just me 2 pence worth:

If you really hate it then perhaps you should go back home, but only *you* can decide that. Before you do, make sure you've given it all the chance you can. You don't want to go back to the UK and regret it later.

I think it all depends on how long you can live without work.

It sounds like you have free accommodation at the moment, which is good, but do you have to live in Ottawa?

If you can afford it go see some other areas of Canada. I'm not saying you'll love it, but Alberta is where we like. I seem to remember from another thread that you love open space; well the Rocky Mountains are something else! You'll find plenty of places within commuting distance of Calgary, and close to the mountains for the weekends. Visit other cities, and spend time driving around nearby towns to see what they have to offer (I'm making the assumption that you need a city nearby for work).

Loads of other people rave about BC, but I've never been there so can't comment, but I have cousins who used to live there and they loved it.

Winter will be here soon, so if you are going to look around, I'd do it soon.

It's all down to cost I suppose as doing the above will cost money, but you may find it worthwhile. Canada is a big place, and Ottawa is a tiny part.

Good luck and I hope you do what's best for you.

All the best.

Chris
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:28 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Just be prepared for the possibility that you'll come back and within 2 months or so all the things that annoyed you before will resurface and you'll be gutted you didnt give it more time in Canada. The UK isnt going anywhere and believe me, life isnt peachy here right now. Ive just got a job but my wife is surprisingly struggling to find one. Plus, wages are outrageously low here. Employers are taking the pee big time.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Plus, wages are outrageously low here. Employers are taking the pee big time.
Perhaps in some industries, but certainly not all.

Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:45 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Perhaps in some industries, but certainly not all.

Well, obviously.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Well, obviously.
Was just clarifying for the sake of anybody reading - 'wages are outrageously low here' was a bit of a sweeping generalisation!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
Supply/demand?

If its expensive, there's probably a reason. I.e. people want to live there more than they want to live in other places. Westboro is another good example of that; great neighbourhood, expensive prices.

I'm a bit surprised by claustrophobic though? Its in the downtown of a 1m person city; and its leafy compared to lots of places. Guess you've never lived in Peckham!
Exactly, it's in the middle of a 1m+ populus, it's dense. I didn't move to Canada to be restricted on space! Everyone's living on top of each other in big houses, usually that are falling apart because they've paid so much for it, they can't afford the upkeep. To make it worse, it's a grid pattern neighbourhood so everyone is overlooking everyone else. On street parking is a constant issue too as residents battle with visitors (shoppers, restaurant goers etc) for spaces.

Also, the 'leafy' aspect. Just because there's a few trees on the street and the odd park dotted around doesn't justify the cost of housing, especially when compared to much newer subdivisions, containing tons of, and in close proxmity to green space.

Last edited by wolstie; Oct 21st 2011 at 12:44 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
Exactly, it's dense. I didn't move to Canada to be restricted on space! Everyone's living on top of each other in big houses, usually that are falling apart because they've paid so much for it, they can't afford the upkeep. To make it worse, it's a grid pattern neighbourhood so everyone is overlooking everyone else. On street parking is a constant issue too as residents battle with visitors (shoppers, restaurant goers etc) for spaces.
Isn't this characteristic of the attractive parts of Ontario? In Toronto, Cabbagetown, the Beach, High Park, all consist of large older houses relatively close together at the sides with large lawns front and back. They're
interspersed by parks and on streets with a large number of trees. Guelph looks like that, as does part the better part of Hamilton. The less affluent areas, Toronto's Parkdale would be a good example, also have large attractive houses but they've been divided into flats and then into rooming houses.

Originally Posted by wolstie
Also, the 'leafy' aspect. Just because there's a few trees on the street and the odd park dotted around doesn't justify the cost of housing, especially when compared to much newer subdivisions, containing tons of, and in close proxmity to green space.
Some differences from the newer subdivisions, Hunt Club, Pickering, Mississauga, are access to transit, access to bars and restaurants, access to independent shops and the presence of trees. Subdivisions are thrown up on farmland so there aren't any established trees. The green space in older areas is permanent rather than awaiting the next tranche of hutches.

The advantage of the subdivisions is that one can buy more internal space for the money, the houses, or rather the garages with accomodation behind, are built as close to the lot lines as planning regulations allow, meaning bathrooms bigger than the lawn. To gain this space one must sacrifice build quality, settle for drywall rather than plaster, vinyl rather than brick. One typically must live with a busybodying commitee of residents demanding that the front doors all match and that cars not be washed in the driveway. Some even try to corral cats and conceal laundry.

One must also live with motorways, the raison d'etre of the subdivisions. The motorways may not be horrific in themselves but the walls built to conceal them certainly are, I didn't understand a remark about Brampton "it's so cruel to build a balcony that only looks out at a peace wall". Didn't understand it until I went to Belfast.

It is, of course, a matter of horses for course, the subdivisions are the sort of places that appeal to SUV owners, the older neighbourhoods, to walkers and the owners of Citroens and Smart cars. I didn't move to Canada to live in a facsimile of Milton Keynes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.