Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help I hate it here!!!

Help I hate it here!!!

Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:26 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help I hate it here!!!

What exactly do you hate? There are thousands, quite literally, who would love to be in your shoes.... I AM in your shoes, and I don't find ALL of Canada delightful, but nowhere is all delightful, and lots and most of it is scary and different. Why did you come? It has taken you some amount of effort to arrive, so have a quick think about what it was that stirred you to take the effort? Could you just 'forget' about living here, and just mentally set aside a week or ten days to holiday and see what you think at the end of it? Best of luck. Xxx
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
I disagree with this as someone that lives there.

The Glebe is a great example of a highly liveable north American neighbourhood - walk or bike to everything, shops, bars etc., parks, access to canal, historic attractive homes, plenty of trees, great local community centre, library, other services, walk to work downtown etc.

Personally, I would not want to live in the burbs, but hey, if that floats your boat, good for you.
Yes, you may have access to shops, bars, parks, community centres (which, incidentally, I have access to within a 10 minute bike ride that doesn't involve traversing one of the busiest arterial streets in the city ) but you're telling me you don't think that it's dense? We have friends that live in that neighbourhood and I get claustrophobic when I step out of the car.

Also, the house prices are extortionate - you reckon an average of $600,000 for a 3 bed fix up (and then some) is good value?

Like you say though, each to their own!
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
Yes, you may have access to shops, bars, parks, community centres (which, incidentally, I have access to within a 10 minute bike ride that doesn't involve traversing one of the busiest arterial streets in the city ) but you're telling me you don't think that it's dense? We have friends that live in that neighbourhood and I get claustrophobic when I step out of the car.

Also, the house prices are extortionate - you reckon an average of $600,000 for a 3 bed fix up (and then some) is good value?

Like you say though, each to their own!
I hated Ottawa for the year I was there but I think that was in part because I was stuck in a generic suburb, Hunt Club something, it could have been Milton or Mississauga or anywhere really. There wasn't a pub or even any tortured foxes.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:49 pm
Marmite Lover

AishaA will become famous soon enoughAishaA will become famous soon enough

Sounds to me like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to find your Canadian "UK equivalent", as soon as possible. And it also sounds like a bigass bout of cultureshock!
Give yourself a break, try not to compare everything (I know this is tough, everyone's the same at first) and try and view it as an adventure. Nothing is forever, so you won't be stuck in a dismal dive til the end of time.
Emigrating IS a hard slog and it doesn't get easier overnight. If you do it, you have to be aware you're playing the long game.
I've been here a year and although I still have the odd irrational hankering for a trip round Sainsburys, I know I don't want to go back to Britain.
If you have good solid reasons for doing what you're doing to fall back on in hard times, you get through it. If you don't, you may want to re-consider...

Good luck!
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

etjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by RRhodes
Its only been 8 days but 8 days of 'what have I done' so far! We cant seem to find anywhere in Ottawa that we would want to live. Its either just full of houses crammed in together (Orleans, Kanata, Barrhaven etc) or just too remote to live in if you need to work. We are applying for jobs and expect that we would have to work in the city (if we can get jobs that is) - hence the need to live commutable distance (hate the rush hour traffic already) and the cost of parking / transport is extreem. We miss the UK!!

I dont think I can take much more of driving to areas and finding them without parks / trees or any amenities etc but surely I have to give it longer than a week right????

I hate the fact I traded quaint green Britain for a concrete and weatherboard existence. I knew the exchange rate wasnt great (my PR visa was running out so decided it was now or never to give it a try) but wasnt banking on just how expensive everything is. I mean $6 for a beer and $9 for cereal!!

Anyone else in Ottawa cant settle or moved somewhere that I may like? Without jobs we are stuck living with my brother who loves Orleans but then he hasnt lived in the UK for many many years so probably just got used to it. At this stage I would happily leave today!

Are there any areas we havent tried that maybe have more space / parks / forests etc and that you can actually get jobs nearby? We dont have to live near the centre but need jobs to enable us to move. Yesterday we went to Kemptville but I didnt even get out of the car! HELP!!
Hi I used to live in Barrhaven as a Nanny and have to say liked it, but my sister lived in Perth a little drive from Ottawa it is a beautiful small town one of nicest I have seen here. We are in London arrived as PR's in August and have decided that a small town is where we think we will probably settle so check some out, there are many and they have a very different feel to the suburbs you don't much like.
Good luck anyway Paula
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:48 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie

Supply/demand?

If its expensive, there's probably a reason. I.e. people want to live there more than they want to live in other places. Westboro is another good example of that; great neighbourhood, expensive prices.

I'm a bit surprised by claustrophobic though? Its in the downtown of a 1m person city; and its leafy compared to lots of places. Guess you've never lived in Peckham!
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

RRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to all

Basically everything, except petrol, so far is about twice the price that we are used to, the houses are more expensive and what you gain in inside space you lose in outside space (gardens). We have yet to find anywhere where we could potentially live that doesnt cost above 600,000 dollars. With the fact that if we could get jobs (it isnt looking great) then we would be earning less than we were in canada and with having to pay out more - we are worse off. I know everything is not about how much money you have but we do have to compare our standard of life. In the UK we had lots of spare money and a large house with a huge garden / plot. I appreciate Canada is different and I perhaps didnt do as much research as I should have but seriously dont know where to go back whilst we can still get our jobs back and just go back to normal life or to stick it out loosing more of our savings and becoming more unhappy.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

the houses are more expensive
Where in the UK is your reference point? I think Chelsea, for example, is quite expensive compared to Ottawa.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

Cute house, convenient to the bureaucracies of central Ottawa, less than $600,000:

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ey=-1974725606

Easy!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Basically everything, except petrol, so far is about twice the price that we are used to, the houses are more expensive and what you gain in inside space you lose in outside space (gardens). We have yet to find anywhere where we could potentially live that doesnt cost above 600,000 dollars. With the fact that if we could get jobs (it isnt looking great) then we would be earning less than we were in canada and with having to pay out more - we are worse off. I know everything is not about how much money you have but we do have to compare our standard of life. In the UK we had lots of spare money and a large house with a huge garden / plot. I appreciate Canada is different and I perhaps didnt do as much research as I should have but seriously dont know where to go back whilst we can still get our jobs back and just go back to normal life or to stick it out loosing more of our savings and becoming more unhappy.
If your gut tells you this, then go back to the UK... we did not find Ottawa to be a great place to find work to be honest- takes a while and its better if you know someone and can network.

If we had been able to move back to the UK after 6 months of being in Canada, we would have, only thing stopping us at the time was the fact that the "pet Passport" system was not in place and we did not want to put our doggies in quarantine.

My husband still has not found work in his field and has given up- its taken me 9 years to achieve the same level workwise as when i left the UK.....we are planning to retire in the UK because right now we couldn't afford a rabbit hutch in the UK!!!

Good Luck- give it time though but go with your gut!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:30 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

One also has to deal with the FX. When many came here the FX was $2.25+ to GBP, so a $600k home cost £266k, now its nearly £380k. Comparing things to where you came from is a recipe for doom. I have no idea what things are in the UK anymore, just what we pay here and whats left over. It used to be what was a pound in the UK was a dollar here, no doubt the $1.58 pound has changed that.

Immigration is a step back for most, for some a big step back, but I think many eventually get up to where they were, a lot well ahead. Takes time (years, not weeks or months) and getting used to. I think for us it was 10 years before we felt like fixtures and were more Canadian than British.

Successful immigration is a mindset and the short term pain for long term gain is something we all had to deal with.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:45 am
Blonde, but not really.

Joolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the rough

Don't give up...a week of unhappiness just tells you that the area isn't right for you, that's all. It takes so much more time to settle...I'm not one to talk, I've only been here 6 weeks (and am far from settled) but am starting to realise it upsets me more to compare it to the UK, it's a great but VERY different place.

Hard as it is, try to stop looking for what you had in the UK, remember why you took the time/effort to get your PR and most importantly keep looking for the place here that you will love & settle in. Give it a chance, it'll not be the easiest (I'm getting ridiculous pangs of homesickness watching Corrie re-runs) but stick it out a little longer before you throw in the towel.

...oh and find a cheaper bar
Seriously though, good luck with it all!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:58 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Its only been 8 days but 8 days of 'what have I done' so far! We cant seem to find anywhere in Ottawa that we would want to live. Its either just full of houses crammed in together (Orleans, Kanata, Barrhaven etc) or just too remote to live in if you need to work. We are applying for jobs and expect that we would have to work in the city (if we can get jobs that is) - hence the need to live commutable distance (hate the rush hour traffic already) and the cost of parking / transport is extreem. We miss the UK!!

I dont think I can take much more of driving to areas and finding them without parks / trees or any amenities etc but surely I have to give it longer than a week right????

I hate the fact I traded quaint green Britain for a concrete and weatherboard existence. I knew the exchange rate wasnt great (my PR visa was running out so decided it was now or never to give it a try) but wasnt banking on just how expensive everything is. I mean $6 for a beer and $9 for cereal!!

Anyone else in Ottawa cant settle or moved somewhere that I may like? Without jobs we are stuck living with my brother who loves Orleans but then he hasnt lived in the UK for many many years so probably just got used to it. At this stage I would happily leave today!

Are there any areas we havent tried that maybe have more space / parks / forests etc and that you can actually get jobs nearby? We dont have to live near the centre but need jobs to enable us to move. Yesterday we went to Kemptville but I didnt even get out of the car! HELP!!
Lived in Ottawa for 10 years, first Hunt Club, then Riverside South and finally Stittsville - you may like Manotick, driven there yet? There is much greenspace and parks in Ottawa, how come you're missing it all? only my personal opinion of course, but get the hell out! people go there to die of boredom! if you're looking for picturesque snow capped mountains and ocean hit the West coast. I have enjoyed my 13 years here (in some ways) but feel we will return to UK 2012/13....................................and it is bloody expensive here - $9 a box of cereal is the tip of the iceberg.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:10 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Lived in Ottawa for 10 years, first Hunt Club, then Riverside South and finally Stittsville people go there to die of boredom!
Agreed. But again, its where you choose to live. I am not dying of boredom yet after four years, but then I`m not living on Hunt Club or Stittsville.

Its kind of like moving to some new build suburb in the UK in the middle of nowhere and saying a whole city is boring.

Back to the OP, sorry you're having a tough time. A few days is too early to start making big decisions though IMHO.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:13 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Originally Posted by dbd33
Cute house, convenient to the bureaucracies of central Ottawa, less than $600,000:

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ey=-1974725606

Easy!
See also:

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...Key=1084496979

I went on the open house for this one. Its nice and not falling down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.