Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help I hate it here!!!

Help I hate it here!!!

Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help I hate it here!!!

Originally Posted by RRhodes
There is a possibility if we went back now my husband can get his old job back and we can buy a house straight away in the same town and feel settled straight away - thats the dilema we feel rushed to make the decision. If we decide to stay his job will no longer be open and we would be effectively stuck here, which we may settle in and find an area we may not. Do we cut our losses and run back to what we know or give it a chance and risk not having a life to go back to?
Ok one last chance to get some answers to these questions to "help" you!

1. What is your line of work? This matters because why do you think it necessary that you would be working downtown? Therefore your commute could be more bearable.

2. Any kids? you've given no info on whether schools., etc., are important.

3. Your budget? determines everything really!

4. House details. Townhouse? New? old? land? garden for a dog? transport? can you both drive? near water? near parks? walk to the shops or drive?

Give some more details and we'd be able to help you. Did you look at Manotick? If you truly want help its a two way conversation. However, if the question was actually not a question but a statement then you obviously know the answer/s already.

As I said you can PM me if you like. I've been here 5 years and have real estate contacts.

Over to you now....
Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm well so far the gym would be $880, the dentist $200, groceries for a week $140 in Ottawa. In Canada the gym was 300, dentist 30 and the groceries 40pounds. We didnt live in London or anywhere near in the UK so things were cheap - except stamp duty!!!

Do you think I would settle if I gave it longer or just make do because I would have nothing to go back to?
YMCA here costs me $82 a month for the family, and that includes free swim lessons for the kids.

If you WANT to spend $880 on a gym membership, thats up to you

What was the $200 for? Ontario Dental scale for a 1hr hygene visit plus dentist checkup is $130, thats more or less what my dentist charges and what my work benefits covers 80% of. Groceries for my family of 4 at the low end "No Frills" average about $140 a week. At Sobeys it would be a lot more Im guessing (dont shop there, too expensive, I dont mind packing my own bags)

It seems to me you might need to shop around a bit more for the better deals, but figuring that out is part of moving anywhere.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 21st 2011 at 1:42 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
Isn't this characteristic of the attractive parts of Ontario? In Toronto, Cabbagetown, the Beach, High Park, all consist of large older houses relatively close together at the sides with large lawns front and back. They're
interspersed by parks and on streets with a large number of trees. Guelph looks like that, as does part the better part of Hamilton. The less affluent areas, Toronto's Parkdale would be a good example, also have large attractive houses but they've been divided into flats and then into rooming houses.

Some differences from the newer subdivisions, Hunt Club, Pickering, Mississauga, are access to transit, access to bars and restaurants, access to independent shops and the presence of trees. Subdivisions are thrown up on farmland so there aren't any established trees. The green space in older areas is permanent rather than awaiting the next tranche of hutches.

The advantage of the subdivisions is that one can buy more internal space for the money, the houses, or rather the garages with accomodation behind, are built as close to the lot lines as planning regulations allow, meaning bathrooms bigger than the lawn. To gain this space one must sacrifice build quality, settle for drywall rather than plaster, vinyl rather than brick. One typically must live with a busybodying commitee of residents demanding that the front doors all match and that cars not be washed in the driveway. Some even try to corral cats and conceal laundry.

One must also live with motorways, the raison d'etre of the subdivisions. The motorways may not be horrific in themselves but the walls built to conceal them certainly are, I didn't understand a remark about Brampton "it's so cruel to build a balcony that only looks out at a peace wall". Didn't understand it until I went to Belfast.

It is, of course, a matter of horses for course, the subdivisions are the sort of places that appeal to SUV owners, the older neighbourhoods, to walkers and the owners of Citroens and Smart cars. I didn't move to Canada to live in a facsimile of Milton Keynes.
Some good points here. I guess what I like about living in the Ottawa suburbs is the good transit to get me downtown quickly and access to shops within a 10 minute, picturesque, bike ride. I can live without having amenities on my immediate door step, but I recognise this would not be everyone's cup of tea.
I do see however, some of the benefits of living nearer to Downtown. In fact, the Glebe reminds me a lot of Didsbury in Manchester, where I lived a few years back. Guess now though, for me with kids, the subdivision holds a bit more appeal, but - each to their own!

As a planner with the City, I'm having a ball working here and dealing with the many different types of neighbourhood to be found in Ottawa - each with their own pro's and cons and unique characteristics (even out in the suburbs). I never would have got the opportunity to work on such varied projects, in very different communities, in my UK position.

Best of luck to the OP.

Last edited by wolstie; Oct 21st 2011 at 1:39 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:59 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Was just clarifying for the sake of anybody reading - 'wages are outrageously low here' was a bit of a sweeping generalisation!
none of those about canada in general is there? half the posters on here are masters at it.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:03 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
YMCA here costs me $82 a month for the family, and that includes free swim lessons for the kids.

If you WANT to spend $880 on a gym membership, thats up to you

What was the $200 for? Ontario Dental scale for a 1hr hygene visit plus dentist checkup is $130, thats more or less what my dentist charges and what my work benefits covers 80% of. Groceries for my family of 4 at the low end "No Frills" average about $140 a week. At Sobeys it would be a lot more Im guessing (dont shop there, too expensive, I dont mind packing my own bags)

It seems to me you might need to shop around a bit more for the better deals, but figuring that out is part of moving anywhere.
my fitness world membership is 20 bucks a month with access to 6 gyms around vancouver. Never paid a dime at the dentists....not sure on the shop, just me and the mrs and id guess at least 130, likely more, but cant say that I try and be thrifty.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:08 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm well so far the gym would be $880, the dentist $200, groceries for a week $140 in Ottawa. In Canada the gym was 300, dentist 30 and the groceries 40pounds. We didnt live in London or anywhere near in the UK so things were cheap - except stamp duty!!!

Do you think I would settle if I gave it longer or just make do because I would have nothing to go back to?
Hang on...is this for a year, or did you add an extra zero to the monthly cost? If it's for a year, then that's fair enough.

If it's for a month, first of all I would have my eyes checked and/or my head examined, then I would skip paying that for a year and invest the money saved in some surgery. Same result, much less sweating.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
See also:

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...Key=1084496979

I went on the open house for this one. Its nice and not falling down.
Good luck in the summer though without any AC
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:17 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Good luck in the summer though without any AC
Just buy a fan or a dehumidifier.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:41 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
I haven't provided you with any stats ...
Here are some.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...cience-reading
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Stats, schmats. If the OP hates it then the best thing to do is to leave surely. Isn't this obvious to everyone?
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Stats, schmats. If the OP hates it then the best thing to do is to leave surely. Isn't this obvious to everyone?
No, not after only ten days. Hes clearly still finding his feet if hes paying $800 for a gym and $200 to a dentist, and $9 for cerial. Hell, Id hate it too if that was how I was being fleeced, but that doesnt sound representative of canadian living to me.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:19 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
No, not after only ten days. Hes clearly still finding his feet if hes paying $800 for a gym and $200 to a dentist, and $9 for cerial. Hell, Id hate it too if that was how I was being fleeced, but that doesnt sound representative of canadian living to me.
Maybe they emigrated for all the wrong reasons? Maybe reality didn't match the "dream"? Maybe they just know it's not for them and it took the actual move to realise it?

The problem is, if they have jobs to go back to, great friends and family, and were happy there in the first place, why not chalk it up to experience and use it as a platform to find contentment where it was all along?

I do agree that 8 days is a short amount of time but sometimes you just know and if you're in an unhappy mindset it may be tough to get out of, hence looking at mundane things in a critically exaggerated way.

To the OP, there's nothing wrong with going home. Staying is a big gamble both financially and emotionally. If you're not comfortable gambling with your savings and your emotional well-being, i think you know what the answer is. I also think you know what the answer is already if i'm reading between the lines correctly.

Also, if you meet anybody that mentions the "what if's", punch them in the face for me.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:25 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Basically everything, except petrol, so far is about twice the price that we are used to, the houses are more expensive and what you gain in inside space you lose in outside space (gardens). We have yet to find anywhere where we could potentially live that doesnt cost above 600,000 dollars. With the fact that if we could get jobs (it isnt looking great) then we would be earning less than we were in canada and with having to pay out more - we are worse off. I know everything is not about how much money you have but we do have to compare our standard of life. In the UK we had lots of spare money and a large house with a huge garden / plot. I appreciate Canada is different and I perhaps didnt do as much research as I should have but seriously dont know where to go back whilst we can still get our jobs back and just go back to normal life or to stick it out loosing more of our savings and becoming more unhappy.
Understatement.

So much information is available before you immigrate now on the Web - job availability and wage ranges, MLS house listings, Realtors will put you on their Private Listings e-mails so that you can see houses that fit your criteria, Google maps and Streetview to see the actual neighbourhoods, shopping sites to see costs of goods and a recce trip or two would have sorted out any other misconceptions.
Not only that but you also have the benefit of a brother who already lives here to give you any other information you needed.....

Looking at the points you make about house prices etc, makes me wonder what research you actually did do.
Presumably there was a point at which you had some good reason to believe that you could make a success of it here in Canada and be happy?
If so, what were those reasons and were they still valid by the time you actually came to leave the UK, which was clearly some time later?

It seems to me from what you have said that you jumped into coming out here with no preparation just because your PR was about to run out.
If you left it that long, maybe you didn't really want to come in the first place?

But to move on, I think if you are going to make a proper go of this now you need to make a mental commitment to it and adopt a positive, long term attitude .
Your issues are not going to be resolved overnight.
As Aviator said, success will take time here but will come eventually if you persevere.

If you are not prepared to invest that time making it work here or you still have doubts about whether you will ever like it here, then I think you would be best to go back to the UK now while your jobs are still open and it is still the same place you left.
It is unfortunate, but now I think you are in a position in which you really do have to make a decision in a short space of time if you want to slot back into the UK where you were. IMHO only, of course.

I agree with el_richo on this. It isn't a failure to want to go back and it is OK to change your mind, so you must do what is best for you.

I really hope you work it out to a good result, whatever you decide.
Best wishes
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by el_richo
Maybe they emigrated for all the wrong reasons? Maybe reality didn't match the "dream"? Maybe they just know it's not for them and it took the actual move to realise it?

The problem is, if they have jobs to go back to, great friends and family, and were happy there in the first place, why not chalk it up to experience and use it as a platform to find contentment where it was all along?

I do agree that 8 days is a short amount of time but sometimes you just know and if you're in an unhappy mindset it may be tough to get out of, hence looking at mundane things in a critically exaggerated way.

To the OP, there's nothing wrong with going home. Staying is a big gamble both financially and emotionally. If you're not comfortable gambling with your savings and your emotional well-being, i think you know what the answer is. I also think you know what the answer is already if i'm reading between the lines correctly.

Also, if you meet anybody that mentions the "what if's", punch them in the face for me.
Then there are posters like Julius Smith, or Glaswegian, who would have left on the first plane. One is back in the UK, trying now to get back to Vancouver, and the other everything fell into place at once and he has settled happily in Calgary after hating the GTA.

The truth is, none of us can say what is best for the OP. Sometimes it takes time, sometimes it doesnt help. Personal circumstances and motivations are going to weigh into any decision that they make, and all we can do is try and help with the day to day issues and local knowledge of an area, or life here as a british immigrant, and at least help them make as informed a decision as possible. Life isnt a game.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 21st 2011 at 4:36 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't have an opinion on whether or not the OP should stay in Canada or go back to the UK.

It is just that if someone says that in their opinion winters in Winnipeg are quite balmy it is reasonable to point out that the stats suggest that it is brass monkeys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.