Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada is a scam

Canada is a scam

Old Nov 19th 2021, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a scam

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Sarcasm and mocking noted. So the alternative is I shouldn’t read? Maybe I should reach for Facebook instead to inform me? Maybe I shouldn’t talk about racism with my children at all or maybe my own understanding since I’m not meant to read about it, maybe they should go blindly about their life not understanding how they will always have it easier than others?

What a waste of your time writing that, and mine reading and responding to it.
Sarcasm aside, one moves to dodgy ground at the point he starts explaining diversity to minorities who generally get to experience racism first hand.

Old Nov 19th 2021, 4:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
...the dispute is related to the allowable size of dog...
"Hounded out"

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Sarcasm and mocking noted...What a waste of your time writing that, and mine reading and responding to it.
I see you've met Mordko then.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I live there too, well Peterborough County but I know it well. It is racist, maybe not by Canadian standards but certainly in comparison to the UK. They did try and burn the mosque down there and only 15 or so years ago Campbellford Legion Halloween Fancy dress party made the news for a KKK man and his blackface captive in a noose.
Sadly racism and racists will always exist, in some areas more than others, but not always the ones you think. I lived in the GTA for three years, I met some people there that were bordering on racist... and at the other end of the scale, I used to chat with my Sri Lankan landlord there quite a lot, he couldn't understand why the media continues to label Canada racist. Both him and his wife said they have never found Canada racist.

On a whole despite what the mainstream media keeps saying, who really like to stir the pot, race relations have moved on leaps and bound compared to what it used to be, a lot of people can't see this, but the media don't report the positive stories or the positive things that some immigrants say like my landlord and his wife, and they should know.

I have mentioned on here before the media and selective reporting is a bigger problem than ever now in my opinion. I have learned to base my opinions on life, I get out quite a bit, and meet lots of people, so I don't pay a lot of attention to what the pot stirring media says.

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
That's a slippery slope when you're suggesting that the actions of a few idiots make an entire city or region racist.

I'm sure we've had similar incidents in the GTA. Does this mean Toronto is "racist"?

Maybe it's the company I keep, but I have experienced next to nothing in the way of racist or bigoted comments in the 9 years or so that I've lived in the area. And I've played sports with quite a diverse range of people from all 4 corners of the globe. And I've even eaten at "ethnic" restaurants that were not the obligatory "Chinese-Canadian".

But, like I say, those are my own experiences. Others may differ.
I very much agree with this having lived in the area for 9 years and having just moved back after being away for 3 years, they are my experiences too. As you say, and also what I said above, you can't generalise a whole area based on a few idiots.

Old Nov 19th 2021, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Both him and his wife said they have never found Canada racist.
He is right. Its all relative. Compared to Britain and most other countries he is spot on.

And its not all about small town problems and supposed lack of “diversity”. Its also about racism in the media, politics, workplace, literature, sports…

Last edited by Mordko; Nov 19th 2021 at 5:30 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 6:20 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Perhaps read the information on the link(s) I provided, rather than pick out the part about restaurants.. which if you noticed had a tongue smiley - it was a light hearted comment. Do you think I don't know the difference between 'an assortment of restaurants and a diverse population? Rather insulting for you to presume that.

Stats Canada: https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...B1=All&TABID=1

Diversity means having a range of people with various racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural backgrounds and various lifestyles, experience, and interests.. which covers people from different areas of Europe, Asia, Africa or anywhere else on earth!
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...TABID=1&type=0
why should I extract figures to support your argument?
You can be as insulted as you like, I took the tongue smiley to mean " ner, ner, ner, I'm right you're wrong" which in my opinion is often your MO.

Peterborough is not diverse and calling it a melting pot is laughable.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 6:35 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
why should I extract figures to support your argument?
You can be as insulted as you like, I took the tongue smiley to mean " ner, ner, ner, I'm right you're wrong" which in my opinion is often your MO.

Peterborough is not diverse and calling it a melting pot is laughable.
Excuse me?

I have never had an MO and I certainly don't use a tongue smiley to mean anything other than what it is.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 6:37 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Canada is a scam

That's a slippery slope when you're suggesting that the actions of a few idiots make an entire city or region racist.

I'm sure we've had similar incidents in the GTA. Does this mean Toronto is "racist"?

Maybe it's the company I keep, but I have experienced next to nothing in the way of racist or bigoted comments in the 9 years or so that I've lived in the area. And I've played sports with quite a diverse range of people from all 4 corners of the globe. And I've even eaten at "ethnic" restaurants that were not the obligatory "Chinese-Canadian".

After the Legion debacle many local people didn't understand what the problem was, still don't. The event was reported by another branch of the Legion when they saw photos posted on Facebook. Oh and one of the dressups was a retired police officer.
When I was working I'd often hear people moaning about immigrants and all the money they are supposed to be given. When I pointed out that I was an immigrant and hadn't had any handouts the response was usually something to the effect of "Oh we don't mean people like you."

I have like minded friends here, not many are actually from Peterborough and they are usually arty farty lefties. My experience is that there is a lot of racism here. They often don't even realise what they are saying and would never think they were. Think back to England in th 70s, it's tgat pinch of feel.

Old Nov 19th 2021, 6:56 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Sadly racism and racists will always exist, in some areas more than others, but not always the ones you think. I lived in the GTA for three years, I met some people there that were bordering on racist... and at the other end of the scale, I used to chat with my Sri Lankan landlord there quite a lot, he couldn't understand why the media continues to label Canada racist. Both him and his wife said they have never found Canada racist.

On a whole despite what the mainstream media keeps saying, who really like to stir the pot, race relations have moved on leaps and bound compared to what it used to be, a lot of people can't see this, but the media don't report the positive stories or the positive things that some immigrants say like my landlord and his wife, and they should know.

I have mentioned on here before the media and selective reporting is a bigger problem than ever now in my opinion. I have learned to base my opinions on life, I get out quite a bit, and meet lots of people, so I don't pay a lot of attention to what the pot stirring media says.

I very much agree with this having lived in the area for 9 years and having just moved back after being away for 3 years, they are my experiences too. As you say, and also what I said above, you can't generalise a whole area based on a few idiots.
Am I right in assuming you are a white male?
Old Nov 19th 2021, 8:01 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 19th 2021, 9:54 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

This is why I've long believed someone should only live in Canada if they live south of the 401, West of Victoria Park, East of the 427 and North of Lake Ontario.

Like staying within the M25. The ring road was built with a real sense of boundary purpose.

You'd see in Vancouver the downtowners have cut themselves off if you all actually made the effort to pay attention to current affairs once in a while.

Who knows what would happen to a homosapien like me in this Peterborough?

Nope. Stay in my lane with the warmth and comfort of the local Hooters.

Last edited by JamesM; Nov 19th 2021 at 9:59 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 9:57 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

You're not a member of Yorkshire Cricket Club by any chance are you?
Old Nov 19th 2021, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Who knows what would happen to a homosapien like me in this Peterborough?
Is this a new breed with a very restricted habitat? Fascinating.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 10:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

"Who knows what would happen to a homosapien like me in this Peterborough?"
Originally Posted by Mordko
Is this a new breed with a very restricted habitat? Fascinating.
Who are you quoting? If you click on the quote button it will automatically format your post.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
You're not a member of Yorkshire Cricket Club by any chance are you?
Where is this "Yorkshire" of which you speak?
Old Nov 19th 2021, 11:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Where is this "Yorkshire" of which you speak?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.