Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada is a scam

Canada is a scam

Old Nov 18th 2021, 8:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a scam

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
It is not a great story at all. They have sold and have less than two months to find somewhere to live "We are looking literally everywhere now, going as far as Oakville". It is, at least, amusing to hear someone else refer to Oakville as being slightly beyond the end of civilization.
Are you free to speak of how and why they were hounded out?

I recall from my teenage years that our apartment building was accepting tenants who the local hospital who were here as interns from India and nurses from the Philipphines with work visas. They were not well liked at all and one of the main reasons was the horrid cooking odors that came from there apartments. Americans back then in the 60's, and probably still today, do not care for curry and cooking with very hot oil. The smells were obnoxious and there were many complaints until the management stopped renting to the hospital's immigrant personnel.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 8:58 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete;13073371[b
]Are you free to speak of how and why they were hounded out?

I recall from my teenage years that our apartment building was accepting tenants who the local hospital who were here as interns from India and nurses from the Philipphines with work visas. They were not well liked at all and one of the main reasons was the horrid cooking odors that came from there apartments. Americans back then in the 60's, and probably still today, do not care for curry and cooking with very hot oil. The smells were obnoxious and there were many complaints until the management stopped renting to the hospital's immigrant personnel.
Irony?

I always try to teach my kids to avoid words like that if they don’t like something. Just because you don’t like something it doesn’t make it horrid or obnoxious.

Last edited by Tirytory; Nov 18th 2021 at 9:51 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 9:31 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory View Post
I always try to teach my kids to avoid words like that if they don’t like something. Just because you don’t like something it doesn’t make horrid or obnoxious.
Pervasive? Mississippi can be eloquent; no South, no Faulkner.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have yet to smell any cooking as horrid as tobacco smoke is, I am so glad smoking has been banned in apartments because it was awful having neighbors who smoked indoors, the smell was far more horrid than any cooking smell was and frankly I haven't ever smelled any food that I would even classify as horrid or obnoxious, sure I don't find curry the most pleasent smelling, but its also not what I would say is horrid or obnoxious.

No worse smell than tobacco smoke indoors which can also cause health issues for others where cooking smells at worst might be a little annoying but wont cause the health issues 2nd hand tobacco smoke can.

Old Nov 18th 2021, 11:17 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Are you free to speak of how and why they were hounded out?

Luckily any true Brit enjoys the smell of curry.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 11:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Are you free to speak of how and why they were hounded out?.
I only hear one side of the story. I work with the man involved, I don't know his wife nor his dog. As best I can fathom it: a dispute arose over their dog, there's no point in asking the details as people are so defensive about their pets. However, no one was bitten, the dispute is related to the allowable size of dog.

On the face of it that's not a racial dispute but as the dog argument ground on before the condo board the other party said something to the effect that having an offensive dog is an attribute of people who like sex and come from Pakistan. As the dispute has gone on the f****** p*** aspect has overshadowed whatever the dog's original transgression was. The wife can't deal with hearing that in the elevator over and over so they've sold up at a severe loss and are looking for something else to buy.

Now, of course, my colleague and his wife suspect the original dispute over the dog was racially motivated. I don't think we can know. Maybe their neighbours cruise the streets at night picking fights with brown people, Probably not, but maybe, in a dispute, they reach for the easy insult, if the people involved had different bodies they might have been insulted as fat bastards. It doesn't matter, the people involved feel they've been repeatedly insulted on the basis of their ethnicity, not that they're even from Pakistan, and that they have to leave. My problem is that good help is hard to come by and I don't want them to get H1Bs and piss off; the housing market may push them to that.

All that said, I work with people from the four corners. I've been involved in umpteen hirings and firings, I haven't heard of race being mentioned as a factor in either since the era of the Rae government. Religion sometimes, but not race. It would be ridiculous to claim there's no racism in the workplace, for example, managers who are poor in English often mitigate that by hiring people who speak their native tongue, but I think it far-fetched to think there's somewhere less racist at work than southern Ontario.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 11:33 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
If you think that's odd, wait til someone suggests a 3-some. Guys almost always expect it's them and two ladies, and ladies usually think of them and two guys, at least that's what I've read elsewhere
Take your mind out of the gutter Dave!
Old Nov 19th 2021, 1:20 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012 View Post
I know you like to pass the time by yanking a few chains on these boards, but this comment just smacks of pure ignorance.

But what do I know? I only live there.
I live there too, well Peterborough County but I know it well. It is racist, maybe not by Canadian standards but certainly in comparison to the UK. They did try and burn the mosque down there and only 15 or so years ago Campbellford Legion Halloween Fancy dress party made the news for a KKK man and his blackface captive in a noose.

Old Nov 19th 2021, 1:28 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
https://townfolio.co/on/peterborough/demographics

Stats Canada: https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...B1=All&TABID=1

Shows people from different countries from all over the world... a diverse melting pot! There are Indian restaurants, Thai.. oh and 15 Chinese restaurants....
only one of them is any good and it's expensive. The Chinese restaurants are all Canadian Chinese as previously mentioned.
.There may be an assortment of restaurants but that doesn't make the place diverse. If It weren't for the university and college students you rarely see a non white face here.

Last edited by bats; Nov 19th 2021 at 2:07 am.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

2. This is a fun thread for the idea that Peterborough is a tolerant kind of place. I imagine multiculturalism in Peterborough is a Canadian-Chinese restaurant.
Fun fact: Prince Andrew spent 6 months of his secondary education years at an elite private college near Peterborough.

More fun facts: Prince Andrew at Lakefield

Yeah, I realise it's just more "guilt by association" for Andrew. But he really has form, if the article is accurate, in terms of befriending pedophiles.

Last edited by abner; Nov 19th 2021 at 1:47 am.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 2:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abner View Post
Fun fact: Prince Andrew spent 6 months of his secondary education years at an elite private college near Peterborough.

More fun facts: Prince Andrew at Lakefield

Yeah, I realise it's just more "guilt by association" for Andrew. But he really has form, if the article is accurate, in terms of befriending pedophiles.
This graffiti amused but slightly saddened me:

https://chopsybaby.com/magazine/bori...-sweaty-nonce/

I believe it to be accurate and it made me laugh but it's displaced "Nicholas Parsons is the Neo-opiate of the People" as my favourite after very many years.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 5:02 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats View Post
only one of them is any good and it's expensive. The Chinese restaurants are all Canadian Chinese as previously mentioned.
.There may be an assortment of restaurants but that doesn't make the place diverse. If It weren't for the university and college students you rarely see a non white face here.
Perhaps read the information on the link(s) I provided, rather than pick out the part about restaurants.. which if you noticed had a tongue smiley - it was a light hearted comment. Do you think I don't know the difference between 'an assortment of restaurants and a diverse population? Rather insulting for you to presume that.

Diversity means having a range of people with various racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural backgrounds and various lifestyles, experience, and interests.. which covers people from different areas of Europe, Asia, Africa or anywhere else on earth!
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...TABID=1&type=0

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 19th 2021 at 5:09 am.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 11:53 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Perhaps read the information on the link(s) I provided, rather than pick out the part about restaurants.. which if you noticed had a tongue smiley - it was a light hearted comment. Do you think I don't know the difference between 'an assortment of restaurants and a diverse population? Rather insulting for you to presume that.

Diversity means having a range of people with various racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural backgrounds and various lifestyles, experience, and interests.. which covers people from different areas of Europe, Asia, Africa or anywhere else on earth!
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...TABID=1&type=0
But the conversation wasn’t around diversity meaning a white English couple moved to Peterborough, and now the population is diverse… the conversation was around racism. If Peterborough is anything like Bracebridge, Muskoka then the place is as white as it can get, and very waspy. I frequently hear or see comments that I don’t think people even realize are racist because it’s so deeply ingrained.

Most of the reason Muskoka wasn’t hit hard by COVID is nothing to do with the virus, and everything to do with the type of community we live in e.g white, well off. We have neither multi generational housing or low paid factory workers with no sick leave. Systemic racism is very much the factor in why COVID hit many areas in and around Toronto so hard.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I only hear one side of the story. I work with the man involved, I don't know his wife nor his dog. As best I can fathom it: a dispute arose over their dog, there's no point in asking the details as people are so defensive about their pets. However, no one was bitten, the dispute is related to the allowable size of dog.

On the face of it that's not a racial dispute but as the dog argument ground on before the condo board the other party said something to the effect that having an offensive dog is an attribute of people who like sex and come from Pakistan. As the dispute has gone on the f****** p*** aspect has overshadowed whatever the dog's original transgression was. The wife can't deal with hearing that in the elevator over and over so they've sold up at a severe loss and are looking for something else to buy.

Now, of course, my colleague and his wife suspect the original dispute over the dog was racially motivated. I don't think we can know. Maybe their neighbours cruise the streets at night picking fights with brown people, Probably not, but maybe, in a dispute, they reach for the easy insult, if the people involved had different bodies they might have been insulted as fat bastards. It doesn't matter, the people involved feel they've been repeatedly insulted on the basis of their ethnicity, not that they're even from Pakistan, and that they have to leave. My problem is that good help is hard to come by and I don't want them to get H1Bs and piss off; the housing market may push them to that.

All that said, I work with people from the four corners. I've been involved in umpteen hirings and firings, I haven't heard of race being mentioned as a factor in either since the era of the Rae government. Religion sometimes, but not race. It would be ridiculous to claim there's no racism in the workplace, for example, managers who are poor in English often mitigate that by hiring people who speak their native tongue, but I think it far-fetched to think there's somewhere less racist at work than southern Ontario.
Condo buildings have rules about number of pets and the size of them. They are generally not flexible about this rule being broken, wherever you are from. The limit is based on the weight of the dog so, if you have a dog close to the weight limit then you need to keep that pooch on a strict diet. In this case it doesn't sound like they were hounded out because of their race but because of their hound.
Old Nov 19th 2021, 12:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Tirytory View Post
But the conversation wasn’t around diversity meaning a white English couple moved to Peterborough, and now the population is diverse… the conversation was around racism.
I let this point go but it's a common position here and in conservative media that diversity does not imply the inclusion of people who look different; so long as you have a francophone and someone of undecided sexuality that's enough. An OPP officer once told me "Dufferin County does have a diverse population, it's just that they all look the same". Dufferin County is, in fact, so inbred that there's something called the Dufferin County Ear and that ear only comes in pink.

My perception of a diverse crowd differs somewhat from this standard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.