Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada is a scam

Canada is a scam

Old Nov 17th 2021, 4:57 pm
  #16  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
ArekDeBoss's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 72
ArekDeBoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canada is a scam

[QUOTE=Farmer on a bike;13072833]
Originally Posted by ArekDeBoss View Post



You did rather invite it, don't you think?
Waiting for more
ArekDeBoss is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2021, 5:20 pm
  #17  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a scam

Originally Posted by ArekDeBoss View Post
I am very sorry to say that , and I know I'm just becoming a website pariah but in my opinion Canada is a big SCAM.
Starting with racism, so deeply imbedded in Canada's culture it's unbelievable. Mostly against indigenous people but here in northern Ontario in general. SHAME on you Canada.
Then healthcare- maybe free but getting a family doctor, getting specialist appointment is impossible. To wait over a year for a specialist?!?! I know it's free but so is in the UK.
Prices: everything here is so so expensive . Food, mobile phone plans, clothing, furniture - everything. Apart from gas but that is also climbing.
Jobs - low level jobs yes sure but slightly above that? It's all about who you know, connections not skills, not experience, not professionalism.
Canadians are very insecure , threatened by skilled educated foreigners. They are rude and obnoxious.
Theie attitude sucks , they think they know everything better, they think they are so so superior when in reality they are backward! At least 10 years behind the UK. Medical protocols, veterinary protocols and their customer care- that is almost non existent.
Canadians are dishonest, unprofessional, they are LAZY.
​LAZY LAZY
I am bitterly disappointed and after few months of being here and working in well paid job we are going back to the UK.
Canada is beautiful but that is about it. Could come for holidays but that's all.
And one more thing: Canadians always show strong resentment to comparison with the US. They think they are better than Americans. But the truth is they are a knock of copy of them. At least weith Americans is what you see it's what you get. Canadians are fake, two faced , passive aggressive and have no balls to be honest with each other.
Sorry Canada but that is my honest opinion .

And now all of you feel free to jump me. I'm ready for it 👍
Oh dear. Blanket generalisations that don't apply to the majority of Canadians.

Most are not lazy, ignorant, racist, dishonest nor unprofessional! Yes, there are some that are - just as there are Brits that are lazy, ignorant, dishonest and unprofessional

It would seem that you picked the wrong area to move to (redneck country) ... this is where due diligence comes in to play, unfortunately. Peterborough may have been a better fit for you (could you get a transfer?). A read of any of the numerous threads on cost of living on BE would have told you about the expenses here.. and the situation where many immigrants have to take jobs that are a lower level than may have been held before - sideways /drop downs in careers are common. Again, this has been related in the Wiki and in threads on the forum. Did you read anything in the wiki about the 'Canada Challenges" before deciding to make the move - especially this part https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Consi...ving_to_Canada ? Had you done a recce, been to Canada before? What was the motive to move here.. perhaps remember those reasons

You've only been here since the end of June - so are probably suffering from culture shock.. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Culture_Shock-Canada



I'm sorry to hear that you are so unhappy... perhaps take a step back, have a rethink and see if it's possible to move, before taking drastic action and leaving.....

Rejection

  • After some weeks or months (or even years), you can expect to feel irked by the very elements of the new society that you found so charming during your early days.
  • This phase may last a long time, perhaps a couple of years, maybe even a lifetime.
  • During this phase you'll want to retreat to the company of your fellow expats.
  • You'll long for familiar food and beverages, and you'll be willing to go to great lengths to get your hands on them.
  • You'll miss familiar television shows, sports matches, magazines and newspapers, and you'll be willing to go to a lot of trouble to access them.
  • You'll ache for people who can "talk sense" and who share your sense of humour.
  • There is a strong likelihood that you'll consider the natives stupid, uncultured, humourless, etc.
  • You’ll be prone to being much more ticked off than is justified, at least in other people’s eyes. You’ll be fuming because of some silly little thing that a native has done or because you can’t find this or that pathetic ingredient that you didn’t even care about back in the UK.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 17th 2021 at 5:24 pm.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2021, 6:35 pm
  #18  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
ArekDeBoss's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 72
ArekDeBoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canada is a scam

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Oh dear. Blanket generalisations that don't apply to the majority of Canadians.

Most are not lazy, ignorant, racist, dishonest nor unprofessional! Yes, there are some that are - just as there are Brits that are lazy, ignorant, dishonest and unprofessional

It would seem that you picked the wrong area to move to (redneck country) ... this is where due diligence comes in to play, unfortunately. Peterborough may have been a better fit for you (could you get a transfer?). A read of any of the numerous threads on cost of living on BE would have told you about the expenses here.. and the situation where many immigrants have to take jobs that are a lower level than may have been held before - sideways /drop downs in careers are common. Again, this has been related in the Wiki and in threads on the forum. Did you read anything in the wiki about the 'Canada Challenges" before deciding to make the move - especially this part https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Consi...ving_to_Canada ? Had you done a recce, been to Canada before? What was the motive to move here.. perhaps remember those reasons

You've only been here since the end of June - so are probably suffering from culture shock.. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Culture_Shock-Canada



I'm sorry to hear that you are so unhappy... perhaps take a step back, have a rethink and see if it's possible to move, before taking drastic action and leaving.....
I appreciate your comment
Probably the first without going straight for my throat.haha
yes we did research, but we did not expect severity of racism and general attitude we faced here. And I get it's only the part of the country. But nobody talks about situation here. At least UK does not pretent to be tolerant and open minded as Canada does.
My wife has never been told in the UK to go back to the reservation.
In regards to the jobs situation. It's not about taking jobs below your qualifications and quite frankly why should we as professionals agree to that? Canada wants to be seen as this open country, open to foreigners but in reality only to give them jobs way beyond what they are worth at the same time insisting on Canadian superiority.
And with all respect I don't think the location will make any difference in health care accessibility, protocols etc
And I can't believe some of the comments here : oh north Ontario , what did you expect etc. At the end of the day it's still Ontario, Canada. Why don't you just say : we are tolerant, we are nice , we are respectful but only in the GTA area where majority of the polulation is foreign. That would be more true representation of Canada don't you think?
ArekDeBoss is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2021, 6:56 pm
  #19  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 16,344
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a scam

It's not just the area; there's endemic racism in every part of the country with some differences in how it presents itself.
caretaker is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2021, 7:02 pm
  #20  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 39,720
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a scam

Originally Posted by ArekDeBoss View Post
And I can't believe some of the comments here : oh north Ontario , what did you expect etc. At the end of the day it's still Ontario, Canada. Why don't you just say : we are tolerant, we are nice , we are respectful but only in the GTA area where majority of the polulation is foreign. That would be more true representation of Canada don't you think?
1. It's not "we". The discussion is among immigrants about Canada. We don't belong here and aren't responsible for what the locals do.
2. This is a fun thread for the idea that Peterborough is a tolerant kind of place. I imagine multiculturalism in Peterborough is a Canadian-Chinese restaurant.
3. I did say that diversity is more accepted in places with diverse populations though this should be obvious.
4. If either or both of you looks like a native Canadian be glad you went to northern Ontario and not Saskatchewan.

dbd33 is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2021, 7:05 pm
  #21  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Ontario
Posts: 761
Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a scam

Theie attitude sucks , they think they know everything better, they think they are so so superior when in reality they aare backward! At least 10 years behind the UK. Medical protocols, veterinary protocols and their customer care- that is almost non existent.
Canadians are dishonest, unprofessional, they are LAZY.
​LAZY LAZY
You sound almost like a Victorian man visiting the colonies from Somerset Maugham‘s books but not as sophisticated.
Mordko is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2021, 7:15 pm
  #22  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Ontario
Posts: 761
Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a scam

They think they are better than Americans. But the truth is they are a knock of copy of them.
So that’s about 400 million people you’ve passed a judgement on. Wonder how many of them you actually met and got to know. One millionth, perhaps? Nah; not that many. You certainly use the same kind of logic a racist would. Which is apparently fine as long as you are open about it. Cool.
Mordko is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2021, 7:34 pm
  #23  
Dive Bar Drunk
 
JamesM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,560
JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a scam

Originally Posted by ArekDeBoss View Post
I am very sorry to say that , and I know I'm just becoming a website pariah but in my opinion Canada is a big SCAM.
Starting with racism, so deeply imbedded in Canada's culture it's unbelievable. Mostly against indigenous people but here in northern Ontario in general. SHAME on you Canada.
Then healthcare- maybe free but getting a family doctor, getting specialist appointment is impossible. To wait over a year for a specialist?!?! I know it's free but so is in the UK.
Prices: everything here is so so expensive . Food, mobile phone plans, clothing, furniture - everything. Apart from gas but that is also climbing.
Jobs - low level jobs yes sure but slightly above that? It's all about who you know, connections not skills, not experience, not professionalism.
Canadians are very insecure , threatened by skilled educated foreigners. They are rude and obnoxious.
Theie attitude sucks , they think they know everything better, they think they are so so superior when in reality they are backward! At least 10 years behind the UK. Medical protocols, veterinary protocols and their customer care- that is almost non existent.
Canadians are dishonest, unprofessional, they are LAZY.
​LAZY LAZY
I am bitterly disappointed and after few months of being here and working in well paid job we are going back to the UK.
Canada is beautiful but that is about it. Could come for holidays but that's all.
And one more thing: Canadians always show strong resentment to comparison with the US. They think they are better than Americans. But the truth is they are a knock of copy of them. At least weith Americans is what you see it's what you get. Canadians are fake, two faced , passive aggressive and have no balls to be honest with each other.
Sorry Canada but that is my honest opinion .

And now all of you feel free to jump me. I'm ready for it 👍
A fair review that is expressed by many immigrants.

Count yourself fortunate that you can afford to leave- most immigrants are stuck due to financial reasons. Some stay in the hope their children get a fairer go.

I'm sure the next place will be a better experience for you.

Last edited by JamesM; Nov 17th 2021 at 7:38 pm.
JamesM is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2021, 8:42 pm
  #24  
The ride never ends
 
orly's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 2,480
orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a scam

Originally Posted by ArekDeBoss View Post
Starting with racism, so deeply imbedded in Canada's culture it's unbelievable. Mostly against indigenous people but here in northern Ontario in general. SHAME on you Canada.
Dunno, haven't really seen or experienced that in the decade or so I've spent here. You'll get racism in every country but I'd say Canada is far towards the bottom of the list of racist places.
Originally Posted by ArekDeBoss View Post
Then healthcare- maybe free but getting a family doctor, getting specialist appointment is impossible. To wait over a year for a specialist?!?! I know it's free but so is in the UK.
True enough but I've heard similar stories from the UK too. I do think on balance the UK is slightly better when it comes to healthcare.
Originally Posted by ArekDeBoss View Post
Prices: everything here is so so expensive . Food, mobile phone plans, clothing, furniture - everything. Apart from gas but that is also climbing.
Yea stuff is more expensive here but I think, on average, people tend to earn more here too.
Originally Posted by ArekDeBoss View Post
Canadians are very insecure , threatened by skilled educated foreigners. They are rude and obnoxious.
Theie attitude sucks , they think they know everything better, they think they are so so superior when in reality they are backward! At least 10 years behind the UK. Medical protocols, veterinary protocols and their customer care- that is almost non existent.
Canadians are dishonest, unprofessional, they are LAZY.
​LAZY LAZY
I am bitterly disappointed and after few months of being here and working in well paid job we are going back to the UK.
Canada is beautiful but that is about it. Could come for holidays but that's all.
And one more thing: Canadians always show strong resentment to comparison with the US. They think they are better than Americans. But the truth is they are a knock of copy of them. At least weith Americans is what you see it's what you get. Canadians are fake, two faced , passive aggressive and have no balls to be honest with each other.
Sorry Canada but that is my honest opinion .
Lived in the US briefly. I'd say Canadians have much to be pleased about when comparing themselves to the clownshow south of the border
orly is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2021, 8:52 pm
  #25  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 5,338
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a scam

You should have moved to the west coast, we are super chill here but you have to put up with extreme weather.

I read that people are leaving Ontario in droves, wonder why?

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/record-br...ince-1.5665171



Danny B is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2021, 8:56 pm
  #26  
BE Forum Addict
 
Partially discharged's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 3,345
Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a scam

Originally Posted by ArekDeBoss View Post
I appreciate your comment
Probably the first without going straight for my throat.haha
I'd say from the final sentence in your original post in this thread when you said 'And now all of you feel free to jump me. I'm ready for it 👍' you kind of set yourself up for it/were expecting it. You gave it a few months, you hate it, move on/leave and enjoy life back in the UK.

I think that the general response has been fairly similar to your rather bold post where you basically crapped on everything about Canada vs the UK to a forum primarily populated by ex-UK residents now living in Canada or people in the UK wanting to live in Canada. Not many posters are ex-residents of Canada now living back in their original country, the UK. I hope you find happiness wherever you end up, and I gather it won't be small town Canada.

Partially discharged is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2021, 9:08 pm
  #27  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a scam

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
1. It's not "we". The discussion is among immigrants about Canada. We don't belong here and aren't responsible for what the locals do.
2. This is a fun thread for the idea that Peterborough is a tolerant kind of place. I imagine multiculturalism in Peterborough is a Canadian-Chinese restaurant.
3. I did say that diversity is more accepted in places with diverse populations though this should be obvious.
4. If either or both of you looks like a native Canadian be glad you went to northern Ontario and not Saskatchewan.
Then you would be mistaken.

https://welcomepeterborough.ca/why-p...-peterborough/

The City of Peterborough has a long history of diverse peoples gathering together to build a community. This tradition began with the many different Indigenous nations that would assemble in Nogojiwanong – the place at the end of the rapids – to share knowledge and information.
Cultural diversity enriches us by bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and origins. Through diversity, we can compare and contrast different values, beliefs and lifestyles. We can create a framework of common values and beliefs and ultimately celebrate the differences that make us unique as individuals. Cultural diversity is essential for our community to grow and prosper. Diversity has also been recognized as a strong contributor to our economic prosperity.
Peterborough - and it's proximity to Toronto, is most likely more tolerant and diverse than where the OP currently resides!

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 17th 2021 at 9:10 pm.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2021, 10:31 pm
  #28  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 5,338
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a scam

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Then you would be mistaken.

https://welcomepeterborough.ca/why-p...-peterborough/



Peterborough - and it's proximity to Toronto, is most likely more tolerant and diverse than where the OP currently resides!
I think he's right about the Chinese restaurant though

Peterborough's population is approximately 87.9% white, 6.1% visible minorities and 6% Indigenous as of 2016. Of the visible minorities only three groups represent more than 1% of the population: 1.7% South Asian, 1.0% Chinese, and 1.0% Black.
Danny B is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2021, 10:37 pm
  #29  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 39,720
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a scam

Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
I think he's right about the Chinese restaurant though

Peterborough's population is approximately 87.9% white, 6.1% visible minorities and 6% Indigenous as of 2016. Of the visible minorities only three groups represent more than 1% of the population: 1.7% South Asian, 1.0% Chinese, and 1.0% Black.
I've been to Peterborough. I've seen the restaurant. I concede that the town might seem to have a diverse population and to offer fine dining if you'd just arrived from Sudbury.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Nov 17th 2021, 10:58 pm
  #30  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Peterborough; ON
Posts: 196
Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a scam

Originally Posted by ArekDeBoss View Post
I am very sorry to say that , and I know I'm just becoming a website pariah but in my opinion Canada is a big SCAM.
Starting with racism, so deeply imbedded in Canada's culture it's unbelievable. Mostly against indigenous people but here in northern Ontario in general. SHAME on you Canada.
Then healthcare- maybe free but getting a family doctor, getting specialist appointment is impossible. To wait over a year for a specialist?!?! I know it's free but so is in the UK.
Prices: everything here is so so expensive . Food, mobile phone plans, clothing, furniture - everything. Apart from gas but that is also climbing.
Jobs - low level jobs yes sure but slightly above that? It's all about who you know, connections not skills, not experience, not professionalism.
Canadians are very insecure , threatened by skilled educated foreigners. They are rude and obnoxious.
Their attitude sucks , they think they know everything better, they think they are so so superior when in reality they are backward! At least 10 years behind the UK. Medical protocols, veterinary protocols and their customer care- that is almost non existent.
Canadians are dishonest, unprofessional, they are LAZY.
​LAZY LAZY
I am bitterly disappointed and after few months of being here and working in well paid job we are going back to the UK.
Canada is beautiful but that is about it. Could come for holidays but that's all.
And one more thing: Canadians always show strong resentment to comparison with the US. They think they are better than Americans. But the truth is they are a knock of copy of them. At least with Americans is what you see it's what you get. Canadians are fake, two faced , passive aggressive and have no balls to be honest with each other.
Sorry Canada but that is my honest opinion .

And now all of you feel free to jump me. I'm ready for it 👍
Other than that though, it's all good I take it?
Jimbo2012 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.