Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:18 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Tend to agree, but doesn't it go Brown/Grey in winter Vash ? My memory could be playing tricks but I liken bleak dry brown dusty February here, to January's Brown-Grey Buckinghamshire and Kent. London isn't too bad in Winter.... All those lights
Originally Posted by MartinLuther
It's not really green all year around in the UK. Although the grass tends to stay green the woods can look a bit brown at the end of autumn and through winter.
OK, I was exaggerating slightly. Let's settle for "mostly green, most of the year."
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
It's not really green all year around in the UK. Although the grass tends to stay green the woods can look a bit brown at the end of autumn and through winter.

For example
http://www.forest-cottages.co.uk/ima...nter-woods.jpg

In my first winter here it was noticeable how alive everything looked through the winter. I know someone's going to say that it looks lovely in the snow (or the sunshine) but to be honest we didn't get that much snow in London and the local snow gums are very pretty in the snow as well.

Yes the grass stays green through winter and so do the evergreen trees and shrubs (obviously), but the rest of landscape looks fairly bleak to be honest.

Snow is great for a while and the landscape looks really pretty when it falls, but after that I'd prefer to return to warmth.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:51 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I'm with you mate. I'm a kiwi and I think the weather (in the Southeast) is great. I cycle a lot and have a nice tan from the sunshine we have had the last few months. One snow fall in 18 years is quite exciting and only lasts a day or two. So the leaves fall off the trees in autumn. Big deal.

If do concede that certain parts of the UK (in the West and parts of Scotland) have had particularly wet weather this summer so I can see how it might get you down, but to extrapolate that to the whole country is ridiculous. I have some friends in 'the North' who say they have had an exceptionally sunny summer this year.
If you want to avoid the UK weather that people complain about then you head to the SE of England .
Old Sep 14th 2009, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I didn't want this to be a UKvsanything post - just an amusing observation straight and simple.

I noticed that that my old UK boss in his 50s and bald, was unlined, less craggy, and maybe without skin cancer(!), no guarantee, but he looked like a baby shiny and glossy. A curious look.

An Irish woman once told me that men tend to improve with age, even though if that is lined skin...

I'm sure the women would have different opinions about themselves.

Of course, skin like prunes and missing noses etc, and growths don't look too good. That's the extreme and I've seen that in orchardists who have spent their whole lives outside, and are 70 odd now. I'm glad I work inside most of the time, and came here in my 30s - and in a time when awareness was in place - gives me a headstart.

I've said this before - the current crop of people you see now in their 60s did not have the benefits of the campaigns in the 80s nor used skin protection. From an scientific viewpoint, it will be interesting to see how careful people born in 1980 will look when they get to their 60s.
Can depend on the skin type the person has too. One of Australias problems in recent years has been lack of exposure to sunlight....and au contaire..from too much sun.
It should be understood that it is suggested that the sun screens used are not so great for the skin,even linked to having cancer causing agents.
A number of people of all ages look fine with tans there again depending on skin type.
Best try not to burn which means limited exposure to the sun at the commencement of summer....and a bit of tan protects from burning anyway.
Surely sitting in an office all day would have been easier in Britain to do?
Perhaps in part it was to keep the office wallahs content,in that how lucky are we shut up indoors out of the sun..instead of being out and about swimming,boating,surfing,bushwalking.....
Cold weather can also be bad for the skin...lots of people look none the good for wear in Europe also.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Cold weather can also be bad for the skin...lots of people look none the good for wear in Europe also.
Well look at the number of people shipped off to the Med for medicinal reasons..
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'm an Australian who has lived in the UK for nearly 6 years now, and for the life of me I genuinely, honestly cannot understand why people complain about the weather so much over here.

The British climate is fantastic! Winters are perfectly bearable (only a little worse than the ones I used to get in Tassie) and the summers are gloriously mild. It doesn't rain nearly as much as people claim it does, and the entire country is beautifully green all year round. What's not to like?

You don't understand because you are different to those people who don't like it. I loved the British spring/summer/autumn (however short they were) but physically couldn't handle the long drawn out damp, dreary British winter. That may not be how it is for some people but it was for me. I don't like the cold and for me, it was bone numbing cold even if the temperature gauge read 15 degrees.

It is beautifully green because it does rain a lot. If it didn't, it wouldn't be green now would it
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:36 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You don't understand because you are different to those people who don't like it. I loved the British spring/summer/autumn (however short they were) but physically couldn't handle the long drawn out damp, dreary British winter. That may not be how it is for some people but it was for me. I don't like the cold and for me, it was bone numbing cold even if the temperature gauge read 15 degrees.

It is beautifully green because it does rain a lot. If it didn't, it wouldn't be green now would it
I think this site is evidence that Britons just like a good moan.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Along with every other nation in the world. Britons don't have the dibs on whinging and moaning.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:43 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Along with every other nation in the world. Britons don't have the dibs on whinging and moaning.
Most other nations don't moan about British weather though.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Possibly not all of them but they will be moaning about their own
Old Sep 15th 2009, 9:47 am
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough

The poor weather is a good enough reason to moan. I don't like moaners but I can justify weather moaners, as I agree with them.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with MP above. The winters are just too long and drawn out and never seem to end.

When Spring arrives you think it will warm up quite fast, but it doesn't. It takes ages and only in June does it really start getting warm.

Then if the summer for that year is miserable, which it has been for the last three years, you are then heading straight back into autumn and then winter, without having felt you've had a 'good decent' summer.

That was the whole reason for this thread!

I do enjoy enjoy the snow and the change of seasons, but winter does tend to drag on far too long.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Britons are if anything even rather subdued when it comes to moaning,almost too polite at times. Folk should take a look across the channel and will perhaps begin to understand what real complaining is about.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually they do if brought to their attention.Many Australians are of the impression that life on the British Isles must be a miserable state of affairs,in part due to the climate of constant rain,frigid temperatures and dark gloomy skies.
When living in France not a few folk there thought London as wet and foggy,of the pea soup variety.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Well look at the number of people shipped off to the Med for medicinal reasons..
Indeed yes.Generally folk considered better looking in the South of Europe,with their sun kissed skins with less attire required,to which a lot of the Northeners want to experience a bit of. Not only good for health but does wonders for the feeling of wellbeing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.