Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:43 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Enjoying autumn? I am, its been fab so far!!! As I said way back in this thread, September is usually very nice. Today was awesome!
Yes it was, wasn't it neighbour! A balmy 24C according to my car.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:06 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

I'm an Australian who has lived in the UK for nearly 6 years now, and for the life of me I genuinely, honestly cannot understand why people complain about the weather so much over here.

The British climate is fantastic! Winters are perfectly bearable (only a little worse than the ones I used to get in Tassie) and the summers are gloriously mild. It doesn't rain nearly as much as people claim it does, and the entire country is beautifully green all year round. What's not to like?

Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:13 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It doesn't rain nearly as much as people claim it does,
My son's Oz girlfriend is staying with us at the moment. She's from Brisbane. And she said the same thing Vash. She had heard nothing but bad things about the weather here and presumed she would be walking around wearing big jumpers and woolly socks but the temps have been between 22C and 31C every day she's been here. And hardly a cloud in the sky.

Julie. x
Old Sep 12th 2009, 8:54 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
My son's Oz girlfriend is staying with us at the moment. She's from Brisbane. And she said the same thing Vash. She had heard nothing but bad things about the weather here and presumed she would be walking around wearing big jumpers and woolly socks but the temps have been between 22C and 31C every day she's been here. And hardly a cloud in the sky.

Julie. x
Exactly!

When I first came here (January 2004), all the Poms were telling me "Ooh, I bet you're struggling with our winter!" I'd reply "Nope; cold winters are no problem for me because I lived in Tasmania for 15 years and I don't like hot weather anyway."

Then I'd have to explain where Tasmania is.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:00 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly!

When I first came here (January 2004), all the Poms were telling me "Ooh, I bet you're struggling with our winter!" I'd reply "Nope; cold winters are no problem for me because I lived in Tasmania for 15 years and I don't like hot weather anyway."

It's in East Africa, just next to Uganda. I'm surprised they have cold winters there.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
It's in East Africa, just next to Uganda. I'm surprised they have cold winters there.
You need a reorientation program mista flouncer! welcome back.

Oi, Tas is nowhere near the Bahamas!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:48 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Isn't Uganda a fictional country created by Thomas More?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:55 am
Account Closed

Exactly!

Personally my problem with the UK weather was that the winters were too long and the summers were unreliable. Here I have short winters and reliable summers (i.e. summers that turn up every year). I agree that a good British summer is a wonderful thing to experience but I get that here (every year). I also get a few Greek holidays and some trips to the South of France thrown in for good measure; without having to leave home.

On the flip side to what the Poms tell you I do get Aussies saying "You must be use to this?" when it's cold or when it's raining.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an Australian who has lived in the UK for nearly 6 years now, and for the life of me I genuinely, honestly cannot understand why people complain about the weather so much over here.

The British climate is fantastic! Winters are perfectly bearable (only a little worse than the ones I used to get in Tassie) and the summers are gloriously mild. It doesn't rain nearly as much as people claim it does, and the entire country is beautifully green all year round. What's not to like?

Tend to agree, but doesn't it go Brown/Grey in winter Vash ? My memory could be playing tricks but I liken bleak dry brown dusty February here, to January's Brown-Grey Buckinghamshire and Kent. London isn't too bad in Winter.... All those lights
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

It's not really green all year around in the UK. Although the grass tends to stay green the woods can look a bit brown at the end of autumn and through winter.

For example

In my first winter here it was noticeable how alive everything looked through the winter. I know someone's going to say that it looks lovely in the snow (or the sunshine) but to be honest we didn't get that much snow in London and the local snow gums are very pretty in the snow as well.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Sep 12th 2009 at 1:16 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Yep agree with you Vash!Having spent 30 years in Oz,people here find it hard to believe it was freezing in winter (I lived up country)and obviously very hot in summer.I always say to people the weather here suits my skin lol And why would'nt it?I'm english afterall!!!!!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
It's not really green all year around in the UK. Although the grass tends to stay green the woods can look a bit brown at the end of autumn and through winter.

For example
http://www.forest-cottages.co.uk/ima...nter-woods.jpg

In my first winter here it was noticeable how alive everything looked through the winter. I know someone's going to say that it looks lovely in the snow (or the sunshine) but to be honest we didn't get that much snow in London and the local snow gums are very pretty in the snow as well.
Compare and contrast..

I was watching a crime show on TV last based in the UK and it was very dark and grey - obviously they shot the episode in winter or something and it was based on the outskirts of a city. It was supposed to be like that for effect - but I can't say I miss that sort of weather and it does get like that.

Then I've seen scenes of the British countryside in summer where they've lapped up the sunshine to good effect.

Even Melbourne in winter is still very green, and bright, even if the skies may be grey.

I'm not a fan of the scorched earth and brown grass we've had in Feb and March these last few years in Melbourne. It looks shocking. In 2007/8 when suburban gardens were disappearing our backyard only browned off the middle of March after a mini-heatwave, last year it was brown from January.
But rain at the end of March and in April fixed it in one week!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't let a thing like that worry your head.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

No, that was Umbongo Umbongo, somewhere near the Congo.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:38 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you mate. I'm a kiwi and I think the weather (in the Southeast) is great. I cycle a lot and have a nice tan from the sunshine we have had the last few months. One snow fall in 18 years is quite exciting and only lasts a day or two. So the leaves fall off the trees in autumn. Big deal.

If do concede that certain parts of the UK (in the West and parts of Scotland) have had particularly wet weather this summer so I can see how it might get you down, but to extrapolate that to the whole country is ridiculous. I have some friends in 'the North' who say they have had an exceptionally sunny summer this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.