Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Wikiposts

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Originally Posted by paulry
I've always found that elderly people in South Africa often look like dried old prunes but they're healthier and happier than their UK-resident counterparts. I'm guessing that it'll be similar for Australian vs UK residents.
I didn't want this to be a UKvsanything post - just an amusing observation straight and simple.

I noticed that that my old UK boss in his 50s and bald, was unlined, less craggy, and maybe without skin cancer(!), no guarantee, but he looked like a baby shiny and glossy. A curious look.

An Irish woman once told me that men tend to improve with age, even though if that is lined skin...

I'm sure the women would have different opinions about themselves.

Of course, skin like prunes and missing noses etc, and growths don't look too good. That's the extreme and I've seen that in orchardists who have spent their whole lives outside, and are 70 odd now. I'm glad I work inside most of the time, and came here in my 30s - and in a time when awareness was in place - gives me a headstart.

I've said this before - the current crop of people you see now in their 60s did not have the benefits of the campaigns in the 80s nor used skin protection. From an scientific viewpoint, it will be interesting to see how careful people born in 1980 will look when they get to their 60s.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:05 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I didn't want this to be a UKvsanything post - just an amusing observation straight and simple.

I noticed that that my old UK boss in his 50s and bald, was unlined, less craggy, and maybe without skin cancer(!), no guarantee, but he looked like a baby shiny and glossy. A curious look.

An Irish woman once told me that men tend to improve with age, even though if that is lined skin...

Of course, skin like prunes and missing noses etc, and growths don't look too good. That's the extreme and I've seen that in orchardists who have spent their whole lives outside, and are 70 odd now. I'm glad I work inside most of the time, and came here in my 30s - and in a time when awareness was in place - gives me a headstart.

I've said this before - the current crop of people you see now in their 60s did not have the benefits of the campaigns in the 80s nor used skin protection. From an scientific viewpoint, it will be interesting to see how careful people born in 1980 will look when they get to their 60s.
Fair enough, there's enough threads like that (UK vs anything).

Yes it will be interesting to see how things progress. But I would think that by the 2040s there will be effective cures for most forms of cancer () so skin protection awareness could by that time be more about vanity.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I was recently back in Oz and was quite shocked at how much older people looked,including my own twin sister,and she is'nt even a sun worshipper!!!I have a couple of friends who are abit younger than me and they look around 10 years older!!!!!
Old Sep 11th 2009, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livinginreality
I was recently back in Oz and was quite shocked at how much older people looked,including my own twin sister,and she is'nt even a sun worshipper!!!I have a couple of friends who are abit younger than me and they look around 10 years older!!!!!
I'm shocked at how many more people I saw with suntans back in Scotland. I don't think I've seen anyone under 40 with a tan. Other than that, people look pretty much the same to me.
That said, I had never seen anyone with big bandages on their noses 'til I came here and as an owner of a beautiful elegant long nose, I do take extra special care
Old Sep 11th 2009, 7:17 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
I'm shocked at how many more people I saw with suntans back in Scotland. I don't think I've seen anyone under 40 with a tan. Other than that, people look pretty much the same to me.
That said, I had never seen anyone with big bandages on their noses 'til I came here and as an owner of a beautiful elegant long nose, I do take extra special care
Sometimes comes from telling porkies !

Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:06 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Was she an identical twin?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

About 15 from here

We have you surrounded Juliecabs. Beware!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I find that in fast-paced environments like London people look younger in that they have better skin, but often they seem to be more gaunt or have lines that stress has brought, if not by the sun.

I think some people are blessed with youth though. Since about the age of 27 or so I found that many of my peers have become middle-aged with a bit of spread and nothing much for me has changed in that way. I reckon half the battle in the age wars is to maintain your weight, cos even if lines don't get you, this will.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I find that in fast-paced environments like London people look younger in that they have better skin, but often they seem to be more gaunt or have lines that stress has brought, if not by the sun.

I think some people are blessed with youth though. Since about the age of 27 or so I found that many of my peers have become middle-aged with a bit of spread and nothing much for me has changed in that way. I reckon half the battle in the age wars is to maintain your weight, cos even if lines don't get you, this will.
Now you tell me!!! Where were you 20 years ago?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Now you tell me!!! Where were you 20 years ago?
London... and yourself?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Was she an identical twin?
Yes pretty much!Why?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Have to agree with you on the weight thing.Not that I speak from experience mind you!I walk alot and practice yoga 3xper week!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 4:29 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
We have you surrounded Juliecabs. Beware!
Oh s**t
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

London... and yourself?
Afrique du Sud - a warm sunny clime! Which I (we) miss terribly.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Oh s**t
Enjoying autumn? I am, its been fab so far!!! As I said way back in this thread, September is usually very nice. Today was awesome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.