Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Wikiposts

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I do recall such summers as a kid as well,in Enid Blytons Famous Five,i do believe.
These were the books, if I recall, where children were brown ('like berries') due to the time they spent their summers out of doors. Maybe they were not cosseted 'indoors' the whole time.

If you spent your entire Easter hols chasing gangs of Gypsies in their big powerful cars around Cornwall you'd be just as baked.

Or maybe it was just the summer of '76.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
These were the books, if I recall, where children were brown ('like berries') due to the time they spent their summers out of doors. Maybe they were not cosseted 'indoors' the whole time.

If you spent your entire Easter hols chasing gangs of Gypsies in their big powerful cars around Cornwall you'd be just as baked.

Or maybe it was just the summer of '76.
Those were the books indeed. Either wishful thinking on Enids part or Cornwall really was toasty in those days...Kids would have been out and about more and no fear of sun damage.
76 i feel will enter folk lore as what a summer can be..
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:39 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Those were the books indeed. Either wishful thinking on Enids part or Cornwall really was toasty in those days...Kids would have been out and about more and no fear of sun damage.
76 i feel will enter folk lore as what a summer can be..
Definately . Will always remember the sun baked ground and how hard it was to pitch our tents when camping with my mates across the fields. A great summer that was
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:56 pm
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough

Good to see the senior members reminising...I was born 76 so missed out on those heady days.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:08 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dodge26
Good to see the senior members reminising...I was born 76 so missed out on those heady days.
...Smug git
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:24 pm
Peace Frog

Originally Posted by paulry
...Smug git
Thats a bit harsh...Think the last 'good' summer we had was 2005.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:30 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Depending on what type of weather you prefer (let's face it, lots like cold and wet), it's very very important. Absolutely nothing wrong with the UK in my book but my body just couldn't cope with the long dark, dank, grey winters. I was always ill with extremely severe migraines and aches and pains. Moving here has as near as dammit cured the migraines and the much shorter bright winters are a joy to live through. Climate is a very good reason for moving but shouldn't be the be all and end all, there are too many other variables involved.
Absolutely - it's the other variables that have stopped us from making the move.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you can always tell folk that you were born in the last year there was a summer in the UK. Most folk older than five should be able to have a fair stab at the year you mean.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Perhaps you rate 05 as your recollection of 76 is a little fuzzy?
Actually 89 and 90 were pretty decent also.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

03 was the blinder - my last.

90 - remember it well.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 12:14 am
Peace Frog

As I said in a previous post, I remember growing up and the summers always seem to be good, but the last decent one was 05.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 4:41 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I remember 1989. I was pregnant and it was such a long long hot summer. Not too good when your preggers.
But it was a fab summer nevertheless.

I think i remember the govn panicking and saying the stand pipes had to come out. Jeez, bloody typical, abit of sun and they shit themselves lol.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 4:46 am
Banned

And 2004 was also "good" ...that's if we overlook the fact that the water pressure around here dropped so low that the water tank in the loft wouldn't begin to refill until the early hours of the morning. That was a very sweaty year.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 5:29 am
Peace Frog

Originally Posted by paulry
And 2004 was also "good" ...that's if we overlook the fact that the water pressure around here dropped so low that the water tank in the loft wouldn't begin to refill until the early hours of the morning. That was a very sweaty year.

I suppose we may have taken the summer for granted and now the last 3 summers have been a wash out and it gives us good reason to complain..
Old Sep 5th 2009, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I remember 1989. I was pregnant and it was such a long long hot summer. Not too good when your preggers.
But it was a fab summer nevertheless.

I think i remember the govn panicking and saying the stand pipes had to come out. Jeez, bloody typical, abit of sun and they shit themselves lol.
Quite right it did appear at the time a crisis was just around the corner..and if the heat hadn't abated a national emergency would have resulted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.