Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Mar 14th 2016, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If 12mins is too much time to sort out some DNS settings then stick to Foxtel

I enjoy mucking around with computers and tech so it's not a problem for me. 7, 9 and 10 are the go if it is

I've posted much of what I'm watching in this thread (do a stalker search). I don't know and care what networks they've been sold to here:
Foxtel? Only for bogans and mugs who like throwing money away
Stan? Who gives a shit
7, 9 and 10? Because of the ads and wankstick presenters the only stuff I watch is cricket and occasionally the news. I will never watch a series

Last episode of Happy Valley on iplayer tonight

Each to their own
Wow defensive.

FWIW I have Foxtel, the bare minimum so Mrs B can watch the BBC stuff, UKTV, etc. $11 per month was the last bill she tells me. I thought it was $25. Perhaps they are coming in line pricewise with NF, Stan, etc. They need to. If I didn't have a chance to frig with a IP change like that, there would be uproar. Like when I travel for work.

On the odd occasion I turn the sports on, like now with the Super Rugby and 2020 Cricket.

But don't get me wrong, I'm no supporter of Foxtel. I'd ditch the crap tomorrow if it weren't for her.

On Stan, you should check out the content rather than making sweeping remarks. All that stuff that your Aussie Netflix is not showing is probably over on Stan. Just saying.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 12:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Wow defensive.

FWIW I have Foxtel, the bare minimum so Mrs B can watch the BBC stuff, UKTV, etc. $11 per month was the last bill she tells me. I thought it was $25. Perhaps they are coming in line pricewise with NF, Stan, etc. They need to. If I didn't have a chance to frig with a IP change like that, there would be uproar. Like when I travel for work.

On the odd occasion I turn the sports on, like now with the Super Rugby and 2020 Cricket.

But don't get me wrong, I'm no supporter of Foxtel. I'd ditch the crap tomorrow if it weren't for her.

On Stan, you should check out the content rather than making sweeping remarks. All that stuff that your Aussie Netflix is not showing is probably over on Stan. Just saying.
Maybe I was being a bit defensive

2mins of tech settings that a 12 year old could do will give you BBC, C4, C5 and ITV - all for free. When it comes to streaming, Netflix get all the headlines but there are plenty of other options

I do miss the cricket and rugby (although I was watching 6N on iplayer on the weekend) but I'll survive

I don't use Netflix AU only Netflix US (actually every country Netflix using Smartflix). I could have a look at Stan but with NF, Hulu and Amazon have more than anyone could possibly watch

Edit:
Foxtel doing themselves no favours:
http://www.watoday.com.au/business/m...14-gnihjk.html

Last edited by Amazulu; Mar 15th 2016 at 12:24 am.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I was being a bit defensive

2mins of tech settings that a 12 year old could do will give you BBC, C4, C5 and ITV - all for free. When it comes to streaming, Netflix get all the headlines but there are plenty of other options

I do miss the cricket and rugby (although I was watching 6N on iplayer on the weekend) but I'll survive

I don't use Netflix AU only Netflix US (actually every country Netflix using Smartflix). I could have a look at Stan but with NF, Hulu and Amazon have more than anyone could possibly watch

Edit:
Foxtel doing themselves no favours:
Foxtel price rise sparks backlash but boosts profit
Oh dear Foxtel .......that said, maybe they aren't as dumb as we think. That $1 price rise would make $32,400,000 should their attrition rate stay stable.. They are stuck in the old model, no doubt about that. The model where you need to be there to watch the show, or tape it (tape it - remember that term?). But that model is not something you can throw it straight away and turn to something else.

I guess they have started migrating to Presto too so they do have one foot in the online stuff. They also have Foxtel Go (or Play) where you can watch stuff when you want.

Still, overpriced, they need to figure out how they can get down to the $10-$15 mark and have the volume of content.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:56 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I guess they have started migrating to Presto too so they do have one foot in the online stuff. They also have Foxtel Go (or Play) where you can watch stuff when you want.
My guess is they will start concentrating on 4K content. After all, since Murdoch paid the Turnbull & the libs to kill the NBN, the only service with the raw bandwidth to really deliver 4K is Murdoch's satellite service.

That works well with a sports focus, which combined with movies is where I guess they will go.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
My guess is they will start concentrating on 4K content. After all, since Murdoch paid the Turnbull & the libs to kill the NBN, the only service with the raw bandwidth to really deliver 4K is Murdoch's satellite service.

That works well with a sports focus, which combined with movies is where I guess they will go.
Well they've just lost the English Premier League and their movies are shite.

Maybe your conspiracy theories are just that.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 6:43 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Well they've just lost the English Premier League and their movies are shite.

Maybe your conspiracy theories are just that.
Seems someone got out of bed on the wrong side, with his knickers in a twist...

As far as I know Foxtel still have the important sports rights for Australia (though I can't say I pay a lot of attention) and they have movies like "Mad Max : Fury Road" and "Avengers : Age of Ultron". Lots of scope for 4K delivery.

I also note that movie companies are toying with "Day-and-Date Movies at Home", or a premium rental service for $50 per movie, the same time they hit cinemas. The $50 is silly, of course, but would be a transition as the cinema owners get used to the idea of being shafted. It would require bullet proof copy security, something the satellite providers could offer with their personalised encryption cards.

Day & Date Movies at Home for $50 Being Pitched to Studios, Exhibitors | Variety
Old Mar 19th 2016, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Starting from next season Optus have the rights to show the Premier League football and will deliver it via Fetch TV. If we stay with Telstra (still probably the best isp option in the area), this will mean $400 for a box. As watching football matches live is often not an option, does anyone have an alternative to Optus that includes recording? I have a variety of options here already; a WDT, a Raspberry Pi running Kodi and an iMac running Plex server, all with region unblocking via Getflix.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BenandPam
Starting from next season Optus have the rights to show the Premier League football and will deliver it via Fetch TV. If we stay with Telstra (still probably the best isp option in the area), this will mean $400 for a box. As watching football matches live is often not an option, does anyone have an alternative to Optus that includes recording? I have a variety of options here already; a WDT, a Raspberry Pi running Kodi and an iMac running Plex server, all with region unblocking via Getflix.
Hard to tell.

http://www.fetchtv.com.au/m/packages

Seems like they have catch up TV but still in the dark ages pitching this recorder box. Use just want to play something on demand.

I don't think there's another alternative, unless there's some dodgy live streaming you can find - but you want to watch it later.

SBS does have its football show. Never seen it myself.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Seems someone got out of bed on the wrong side, with his knickers in a twist...

As far as I know Foxtel still have the important sports rights for Australia (though I can't say I pay a lot of attention) and they have movies like "Mad Max : Fury Road" and "Avengers : Age of Ultron". Lots of scope for 4K delivery.

I also note that movie companies are toying with "Day-and-Date Movies at Home", or a premium rental service for $50 per movie, the same time they hit cinemas. The $50 is silly, of course, but would be a transition as the cinema owners get used to the idea of being shafted. It would require bullet proof copy security, something the satellite providers could offer with their personalised encryption cards.

Day & Date Movies at Home for $50 Being Pitched to Studios, Exhibitors | Variety
$50 is too much to spend on any movie anywhere, especially for a rental, especially especially for the likes of The Avengers, especially especially especially without popcorn thrown in. That's nearly game prices.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'll use DNS until it's blocked
Then I'll use VPN until it's blocked
Then I'll go back to torrenting
Netflix steps up its fight against piracy
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 11:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

This doesn't affect me
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 11:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Thirteen on BBC iplayer is pretty good
Old Mar 26th 2016, 11:43 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

The conversion of Stephen King books onto the big and small screen has had a patchy history. Some of his greatest stories have been totally ruining in the process - but 11.22.63 is not one of them. Watched the first 3 episodes and have found it to be really good. They have captured the look and feel of the early '60s superbly. Recommended

I'm watching it on Hulu but it is also streaming on Stan
Cheers - will check it out.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 11:51 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Just bought a bent login for sling.com off the same guy who supplies with me HBO Go, Showtime, Syfy and Hulu logins. Only got it for Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead on AMC. There isn't a single American or British channel or streaming service I don't have access to now.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 5:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Series 2 of Bosch is now on Amazon Prime - and it's really good

Series 2 of Catastrophe is also on Prime

Undercover on BBC iplayer looks promising

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.