Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Jun 24th 2016, 6:11 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

This is where companies like Netflix can prosper, by taking abruptly-terminated shows and reviving them. That, and of course, delivering wholly unique content...
Old Jun 24th 2016, 6:16 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
This is where companies like Netflix can prosper, by taking abruptly-terminated shows and reviving them. That, and of course, delivering wholly unique content...

Yes, they can - that is a good point.

S
Old Jun 27th 2016, 10:59 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone getting Netflix to work these days? I keep getting the "You appear to be using a proxy/VPN..." message. I'm thinking of cancelling my sub.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 11:09 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Is anyone getting Netflix to work these days? I keep getting the "You appear to be using a proxy/VPN..." message. I'm thinking of cancelling my sub.

No problems, but then again, I'm only running the local version through my Fetch TV STB - so I guess that doesn't count.

S
Old Jun 28th 2016, 1:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using Smart DNS Proxy and it's still working

If this one falls over I'm going to cancel Netflix and stick with Hulu and Amazon - and torrents
Old Jun 28th 2016, 2:21 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm using Smart DNS Proxy and it's still working

If this one falls over I'm going to cancel Netflix and stick with Hulu and Amazon - and torrents
Cool, thanks. I can pretty much handle losing Netflix and Hulu but if the iPlayer goes my wife will go mental.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 8:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, thanks. I can pretty much handle losing Netflix and Hulu but if the iPlayer goes my wife will go mental.
The BBC is already looking at ways to charge for iplayer - which kind of makes sense as the UK's pathetic TV tax is totally outdated in the digital era

As it stands I don't know why anyone in the UK with a decent internet connection would pay the TV tax
Old Jun 30th 2016, 9:51 pm
(It's not my real name)

The BBC is already looking at ways to charge for iplayer - which kind of makes sense as the UK's pathetic TV tax is totally outdated in the digital era

As it stands I don't know why anyone in the UK with a decent internet connection would pay the TV tax
Is iPlayer working for you? I've been getting the "something went wrong" message for a couple of days on my Roku? On my laptop the video doesn't load.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 10:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Is iPlayer working for you? I've been getting the "something went wrong" message for a couple of days on my Roku? On my laptop the video doesn't load.
Watched it last night on smarthub
Old Jun 30th 2016, 11:24 pm
(It's not my real name)

Watched it last night on smarthub
OK, thanks.
Old Jul 1st 2016, 9:50 pm
(It's not my real name)

Switched from SmartyDNS to Unlocator and now it works again, even Netflix!
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 12:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

The BBC may have a nasty up their sleeve with the Olympics coming up. "7" are trying to charge non-Telstra customers $20 for access to "36 channels" online (no mention of HD), and NBC in the states got reamed last time over their terrible coverage. You can see the providers wanting to recoup their payments, and the BBC wanting to oblige, and cut their bandwidth demands.

Don't be surprised if something comes along to stop you watching BBC live streams - it's a nice testbed for the Beeb and their aim of cutting off non-payers.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 3:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Switched from SmartyDNS to Unlocator and now it works again, even Netflix!
All part of the cat and mouse DNS providers are playing with Netflix. I've been seeing that NF had been winning but it now looks like the DNS boys are fighting back!
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 5:26 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by GarryP
The BBC may have a nasty up their sleeve with the Olympics coming up. "7" are trying to charge non-Telstra customers $20 for access to "36 channels" online (no mention of HD), and NBC in the states got reamed last time over their terrible coverage. You can see the providers wanting to recoup their payments, and the BBC wanting to oblige, and cut their bandwidth demands.

Don't be surprised if something comes along to stop you watching BBC live streams - it's a nice testbed for the Beeb and their aim of cutting off non-payers.
I hope the BBC give us the opportunity to pay for their content rather than cut us all off. I'd be happy to buy a TV licence to watch iPlayer
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 10:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

I hope the BBC give us the opportunity to pay for their content rather than cut us all off. I'd be happy to buy a TV licence to watch iPlayer
I think that's the way it will go. It would be very difficult for the BBC to stop iplayer from being used outside the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.