Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Apr 27th 2019, 8:42 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

These companies tend to have DNS servers in many countries, but that's just so that you use something close to your location.

The question is whether they can provide various Netflix regions. On their site I see them basically promoting US Netflix...
Old Apr 27th 2019, 12:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
These companies tend to have DNS servers in many countries, but that's just so that you use something close to your location.

The question is whether they can provide various Netflix regions. On their site I see them basically promoting US Netflix...
True. There must be a way to get German Netflix, possibly via a German VPN server. I'll do some research
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 9:01 pm

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone use BBC iPlayer to stream on their tv? What's the quality like when watching their stuff on a decent-sized tv? Is the quality similar to watching regular tv or is iPlayer mainly suited for much smaller screens like tablets/phones?

Was thinking of getting one of these boxes to stream iPlayer, ITV and Channel 4/5 but only if the picture on a big tv is broadcast quality...
Old Apr 8th 2021, 10:23 am

Anyone use Britbox in Australia? Any tips on what hardware/apps to use for watching on a tv, how to subscribe to make the most of the service (apparently some forms of signing-up limit your options), etc.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 10:32 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

I just signed up via the website then downloaded the app onto the smart TV. You can also stream via a phone app and I believe the app allows you to cast to a device (chromcast etc). Getting to watch Line of Duty, and have a few oldies lined up to watch and the new All Creatures Great & Small. I purchased the annual subscriptiona s it works out cheaper. Don't think you are limited with devices as you can stream anywhere etc. Their websitr states there are no restrictions unless you signed up via a 3rd party service such as Amazon or AppleTV
Old Apr 8th 2021, 11:44 am

Sound great, thanks for the info. This is all available now in Australia without having to resort to VPNs, right?
Old Apr 8th 2021, 11:47 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Sound great, thanks for the info. This is all available now in Australia without having to resort to VPNs, right?
Yup.
Old Apr 16th 2021, 4:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, Britbox is available but I can't see the point given the continued success of using a DNS redirect. I'm still getting access to all the UK channels and BBC iPlayer buffering is now a thing of the past with my excellent FTTN connection via Aussie Broadband - which is rock solid and never dips below 100mbps - ever
Old Apr 16th 2021, 4:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

VPNs suck balls. Rather go DNS redirect
Old Apr 16th 2021, 3:20 pm

Which DNS redirect are you using?

I need to get Britbox for my parents so that they can access loads of UK content on demand from a single app - I don't want to complicate things for them by having them have to access a number of different apps from iPlayer to ITV Hub or even My5 to name a few.

On a side note, is there a good voice-controlled system available nowadays for controlling the TV as well as connected devices? Thinking that this might be the best way to help my parents moving forward...
Old Apr 17th 2021, 1:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Which DNS redirect are you using?

I need to get Britbox for my parents so that they can access loads of UK content on demand from a single app - I don't want to complicate things for them by having them have to access a number of different apps from iPlayer to ITV Hub or even My5 to name a few.

On a side note, is there a good voice-controlled system available nowadays for controlling the TV as well as connected devices? Thinking that this might be the best way to help my parents moving forward...
I use Smart DNS proxy
The NVIDIA Shield Pro has voice control on the remote. I've been mucking around with this stuff for many years, and there is no better small box streaming solution available than the Shield