Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Streaming video - my experience

Streaming video - my experience

Old Mar 16th 2018, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streaming video - my experience

Originally Posted by GarryP
Some numbers have come out on just how much Amazon Prime TV shows and movies can be worth to Amazon as a whole company.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1GR0FX

Looks like "The Grand Tour" was a real earner for them

So that's 1.5m new Prime customers that Amazon can make money off, plus the future new customers, the IP, keeping customers locked in, etc. - from one series.
Yep. Subs business model a winner. Just got to keep the content coming in.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 5:15 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

What happens when you try to use your Prime subscription overseas to watch videos? Can you at least watch Amazon's own original content?

Just asking as they're offering a really cheap price in Singapore right now: S$2.99 instead of what is eventually expected to be S$8.99. But with no mention of when the offer ends it is expected to last for a while.
Old May 21st 2018, 6:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like SmartyDNS has been blocked from BBC iplayer as well as ExpressVPN DNS

I'm still having success with Smart DNS Proxy for the BBC (can also get US Netflix)

Push them hard and you can get a 2 year subscription for about USD35
Old Jun 10th 2018, 3:18 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Just been making the changes to hopefully put the Beeb world cup coverage on the projector. Seems to be working via a smartDNS, kodi & plugin, but not totally sure they won't do something bad for the matches, and not sure if I should be on HLS or DASH?
Old Jun 16th 2018, 9:22 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

NordVPN have released an Android app specifically for Android TV devices. Appeared in my apps last night on my Xiaomi Mi Box, set it up with my subscription (currently $62 for 12 months), connect to UK server and hey ho....BBC iPlayer and Mock the Week through Kodi. Even got the live BBC to stream as well which could be handy for the World Cup. Appears to connect to UK and US Netflix OK as well.

Might try and get the BBC iPlayer and NowTV app from the App Store later.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 4:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
NordVPN have released an Android app specifically for Android TV devices. Appeared in my apps last night on my Xiaomi Mi Box, set it up with my subscription (currently $62 for 12 months), connect to UK server and hey ho....BBC iPlayer and Mock the Week through Kodi. Even got the live BBC to stream as well which could be handy for the World Cup. Appears to connect to UK and US Netflix OK as well.

Might try and get the BBC iPlayer and NowTV app from the App Store later.
I don't like using VPNs so prefer using a DNS redirect. SmartDNS proxy is still working for the BBC (and US Netflix). iplayer streams are superb on my new NBN connection

I paid USD35 for 2 years of SmartDNS
Old Nov 8th 2018, 6:31 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

For those who are with Foxtel only because of the sports, their attempt at a sports streaming service seems to be in beta.

https://kayosports.com.au/

$25pm for the usual assortment of sports.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...28-p50chi.html
Old Nov 13th 2018, 5:20 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Vodafone are flogging off their Vodafone TV boxes for half price at the moment - $72

This is an Android TV box WITH A BUILT IN FREEVIEW TUNER. DVR to USB, Ethernet port, bluetooth remote with voice, inbuilt chromecast (of course) and the ability to do 4K and HDR. Can install Kodi, usual catchup apps, probably even the above kayosports, once Foxtel get round to releasing the AndroidTV app.

And unlike the Telstra TV unit, it looks like they haven't gimped this.

https://www.vodafone.com.au/vodafone-tv

https://ausdroid.net/2018/06/04/voda...sdroid-review/
Old Nov 15th 2018, 7:00 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Just got my Vodafone TV delivered. Tested it out by pushing a 4K HEVC recording through it, no problems

When you consider a chromecast is supposed to be $50 and once capable of 4K $90, with a freeview box at $40, then getting an Android TV box that can do all that for $72 is pretty good going.

Voice works OK, too.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 9:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Here's a link to get a free movie to stream:
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/45...omment-7201743

We're watching Aquaman tonight

You're welcome
Old Apr 25th 2019, 9:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

What's everyone streaming these days

The latest Line of Duty on BBC iplayer is brilliant - as usual
The Bay on ITV Hub is good - a bit like Broadchurch
The Widow (Kate Beckinsdale - Milftastic) on ITV Hub
After Life (Ricky Gervais) on Netflix
Fleabag on BBC iplayer
Earth from Space on BBC iplayer - brilliant
Das Boot on SBS on Demand
Old Apr 25th 2019, 7:22 pm

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Are you able to watch any of these (apart from Netflix/SBS) on your tv using some sort of set-top box?
Old Apr 25th 2019, 10:06 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by astera
Are you able to watch any of these (apart from Netflix/SBS) on your tv using some sort of set-top box?
Yes, I use a Windows 10 Intel NUC, set up as a HTPC with its DNS settings changed to a DNS redirect service (Smart DNS Proxy)
Old Apr 26th 2019, 8:26 am

Nice setup there.

I only have the good ol' Apple TV and Chromecast at my disposal, so my options are limited. I would like to access German Netflix somehow as it seems to be the only region that currently has the 3rd season of the sci-fi show Colony. No luck yet as Getflix only seems to care about providing the US version of Netlix for DNS/IP spoofers...
Old Apr 27th 2019, 4:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by astera
Nice setup there.

I only have the good ol' Apple TV and Chromecast at my disposal, so my options are limited. I would like to access German Netflix somehow as it seems to be the only region that currently has the 3rd season of the sci-fi show Colony. No luck yet as Getflix only seems to care about providing the US version of Netlix for DNS/IP spoofers...
Smart DNS Proxy have a DNS server in Germany

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.