Scots Justice

Old Aug 20th 2009, 2:28 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockerbie Bomber may be released

Article by the late great Paul Foot on the subject
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/ma...ockerbie.libya
Old Aug 20th 2009, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I hear what you are saying K, but, is it right for a prisoner to be released on compassionate grounds if he has massacred so many people? - i'm not specifically relating to Megrani btw.
I would say no. Hindley was refused for example. But that is the point. You have to ask yourself why he has been released and why he dropped his appeal. Simple. He would have won his appeal.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by slipshot
kporte

you seem very sure he did not do it and although there are people who believe he did not, there are probably many more who believe he did - and only a few who know as close to the truth as they can get.

The fact he has been welcomed back to Libya today with open arms, with singing of songs and the waving of Scottish flags shows their complete lack of care and disrespect to the Scottish people. There is the fact that he undoubtedly had very strong ties to the company that made that specific detonator that caused the bomb, and many other bits of evidence seem to indicate he was either a very very unlucky person or he's not as innocent as is made out. He may not have planted the bomb, but he was pretty certain to be involved...

I'm also of the belief there was more than one person involved at all levels.

Bottom line is he was found guilty and in my book deserves to die in prison - this whole compassionate grounds and your comment about us not being animals is, I believe, nonsense.

Ignoring this situation, no-one who is convicted of life imprisonment should be allowed out on compassionate grounds. The have none and have never exercised any so why should we give it to them? Anyone who has been tried and found guilty should not be allowed out compassionate grounds in my book. Their guilt or not is a totally separate matter...
I'm certain he didn't do it. Swire is certain he didn't do it. His wingman was aquitted in spite of them being tried on the basis they worked together. Whether or not he was involved at some level is irrelevant to this. He was tried and convicted on flimsy evidence. My belief he should have been released on compassionate grounds is based around the likely hood he was a patsy.
Oh and read this from the man who masterminded the trial

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...y-verdict.html
Old Aug 20th 2009, 3:17 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
I would say no. Hindley was refused for example. But that is the point. You have to ask yourself why he has been released and why he dropped his appeal. Simple. He would have won his appeal.
Yes, agreed.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Yes, agreed.
I am quite ambivelant about Meghari. I am certain in my mind that he is not guilty of what he was convicted of, but that he was involved in some way possibly. For me, him getting out or staying in is neither here nor there. I am sad however that the actual bombers have got off scot-free.
There is no justice for anyone connected to the whole affair and I believe we have been conned by political moves which we know nothing about.
The whole thing stinks and the fact Meghari got out is not the smelliest bit
Old Aug 20th 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Learn something new every day. Thanks, and it opened my eyes a bit more, but again, it's so hard without being involved to truly know what happened or what could be the case.

But thanks. Very interesting...
Old Aug 20th 2009, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by slipshot
Learn something new every day. Thanks, and it opened my eyes a bit more, but again, it's so hard without being involved to truly know what happened or what could be the case.

But thanks. Very interesting...
It is such an emotive issue it is very hard to be objective or question
Old Aug 20th 2009, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

It is such an emotive issue it is very hard to be objective or question
You;re right - it is, but even without emotion, very few of us really know what happened and the in's and outs of it. There are always people who push one side of a story and those that push the other, and while I have little faith in the justice system in the UK, I'm also conscious it is the only one we have...
Old Aug 20th 2009, 6:27 pm
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough

He was guilty on some part, so I don't see any reason for letting him go. Unfortunately we will never know the truth.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 8:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't think he had anything to do with. Not sure it was even a Libyan and he wasn't tried and convicted by any reasonable system. I lost a friend on that flight and I had actually booked his flight for him. I would love for someone to be found guilty and put away forever, but I'd prefer it to be the actual culprit, not some random bod handed over by Gaddafi just to shut the British and American government up.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

Like the Birmingham 6 and the Guilford 4 you mean?
If memory serves me correctly they were released because of the convictions being unsafe? Which is a bit different to being found innocent or not guilty... Just that the evidence was in doubt.... It was interesting that the police were pursuing no new/further enquires. Police speak I'm told for we had the buggers, but for smart lawyers they got away.....People need to read the articles, not the headlines.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robclaridge
If memory serves me correctly they were released because of the convictions being unsafe? Which is a bit different to being found innocent or not guilty... Just that the evidence was in doubt.... It was interesting that the police were pursuing no new/further enquires. Police speak I'm told for we had the buggers, but for smart lawyers they got away.....People need to read the articles, not the headlines.
An unsafe conviction is an unsafe conviction.The crown must prove it's case. They were beaten to confess and the police were found to have fabricated evidence. They were awarded massive compo. Safe to say they should have never been convicted in the first place
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scots Justice

Originally Posted by MacScot
Scots justice: compassionate release of terminally ill long-term prisoners (e.g., Al Magrahi)

English justice: compassionate release of terminally ill long-term prisoners (e.g., Ronnie Biggs).

American justice - no compassionate release of long-term prisoners - let them rot and die in jail = vengeance !

Biggs, how many dead, how many years served.

magrahi, how many dead, how many years served.

Both found GUILTY of a crime and sentenced.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jasonlec
Biggs, how many dead, how many years served.

magrahi, how many dead, how many years served.

Both found GUILTY of a crime and sentenced.
And Megrahi has been released. Lawfully.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.