Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Official Loners Thread

The Official Loners Thread

Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Official Loners Thread

welcome to Sydney, at least the sun is shining for you this morning. Doc you coming to Sydney or what...
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Essex Neil is on a distinguished road

Thanks Sharon appreciated. How are you getting on and have you met up with any expats ?

Yes the sun is great. I'll be out in it soon.

Just so the other loners don't feel left out I can say the weather yesterday was crap. I had to put the heating on

Cheers

Neil

Originally Posted by sharonm5
welcome to Sydney, at least the sun is shining for you this morning. Doc you coming to Sydney or what...
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

yeah, it is strange having to put the heating on...never really thought i would have to do that in Oz but it does get cold, tahts for sure. Settling in well but am very busy with work. I am working from home/serviced apartment this morning just to get some things out the door for this afternoons meetings (dont question why I am online then!! haha) but am still gazing out over darling harbour in my jim jams thinking 1pm is rapidly approaching

I have met up with the Sydney CBD bunch - great bunch indeed! alas my company thinks thurs eves are for working and meetings, which is starting to irritate me so have not been able to go again. Was hoping to make a surprise appearance this eve, but a meeting was arranged this morning... as a mate said - they certainly are getting their pound of flesh from me!!

if you need any help or advice just msg me
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

yeah, it is strange having to put the heating on...never really thought i would have to do that in Oz but it does get cold, tahts for sure. Settling in well but am very busy with work. I am working from home/serviced apartment this morning just to get some things out the door for this afternoons meetings (dont question why I am online then!! haha) but am still gazing out over darling harbour in my jim jams thinking 1pm is rapidly approaching

I have met up with the Sydney CBD bunch - great bunch indeed! alas my company thinks thurs eves are for working and meetings, which is starting to irritate me so have not been able to go again. Was hoping to make a surprise appearance this eve, but a meeting was arranged this morning... as a mate said - they certainly are getting their pound of flesh from me!!

if you need any help or advice just msg me
Hi Sharon,

Nice one.

Funilly enough I'm planning to go to the Sydney do tonight to meet "the crowd". I have just posted on the forum asking for entry !.

Sounds like you have a great unit (no puns intended) if you can see Darling Harbour. I do know that I can see DH from my new place of work, well from reception anyway. I start work Monday so have a few days for me time. Like you are experiencing, I am expecting a hard slog to establish myself in my new job so beers will be reserved for weekends I expect (I hope to be proved wrong though).

MAD MAD MAD day yesterday not sure if I broke any records but manged to land at 6am, drop 6 cases off, go to CBD get visa stamp, get ID card, get medicare, apply for tax number, get bank account, get work ID cards.

Today more leisurely check out prospective places to live.

Anyway, good chatting, I must dash and experience the sun and traffic.

Cheers Neil
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:57 pm

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Essex Neil
Hi Sharon,

Nice one.

Funilly enough I'm planning to go to the Sydney do tonight to meet "the crowd". I have just posted on the forum asking for entry !.

Sounds like you have a great unit (no puns intended) if you can see Darling Harbour. I do know that I can see DH from my new place of work, well from reception anyway. I start work Monday so have a few days for me time. Like you are experiencing, I am expecting a hard slog to establish myself in my new job so beers will be reserved for weekends I expect (I hope to be proved wrong though).

MAD MAD MAD day yesterday not sure if I broke any records but manged to land at 6am, drop 6 cases off, go to CBD get visa stamp, get ID card, get medicare, apply for tax number, get bank account, get work ID cards.

Today more leisurely check out prospective places to live.

Anyway, good chatting, I must dash and experience the sun and traffic.

Cheers Neil
Hi all - I've been rubbish with remembering to post, so bit of an update. Loving the city - at times almost like living in a movie - city scapes, beaches, the harour, opera house etc - and with an ipod even have a soundtrack playing along to the fun times - mmm that sounded pretty random, but still on a bit of a high being here.

Has been a bit fresh in a guesthouse with no heating, but heh I'm a brit... Moving into a flat by the city tomorrow to make interviews etc easier. Job hunt has started slowly, but then I have managed to work in finance and arrive just as the economy looks to be slowing and banks aren't hiring...so if anyone looking for an cracking interest rate trader and all round nice guy... In the meantime sydney has to be one of the best places to have free time on your hands.

The surf (for anyone interested) well it's either been flat or about 3x overhead when I've had time to venture down - so haven't been in yet. Board is still sitting in customs with the rest of my gear so no worries for now. Much cheaper to get wetties, boards etc than uk unsurprisingly. Oh, bit of a difference here vs. north devon in that pretty much every surfer you see is good - very good. There was a whale spotted out at bondi last week, so bearing in mind the amount of lazing about I've been doing, think once I've got myself a wetsuit this weekend and paddled out that'll be two whales spotted in two weeks...

Meeting up with some of the other BE's tonight at the CBD drinks. Have to say that generally a very friendly place. Aussies aren't shy. End up having good chats about real things with random people on ferries/trains that never happened with me back in London.

Looking forward to meeting you all when you arrive/visit sydney.

Enjoy. Jason
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:51 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Yayyyyyyyy!

Its fabulous that you lot are all there and loving it. Dont you just love watching them big waves thinking - one day...........one day! I think you will see more whales over next few months cos they start migrating August to October I think?

Anywho - keep cold ones in the fridge for us lot - we are right behind you!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Doc: Congrats! It must feel a lot kore real now you have the tickets!

EssexNeil: Glad you're enjoying it, I'll be there in less than 3 weeks!

MT: Sounds pretty good, shame about the job market but you'll find something eventually!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne
Doc: Congrats! It must feel a lot kore real now you have the tickets!

EssexNeil: Glad you're enjoying it, I'll be there in less than 3 weeks!

MT: Sounds pretty good, shame about the job market but you'll find something eventually!
HI TDQO

Congrats to you too. Where are you headed in Oz ?.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Originally Posted by Essex Neil
HI TDQO

Congrats to you too. Where are you headed in Oz ?.
I'm flying into Brisbane for two weeks on an ETA (??) then doing my company training/medicals etc for my occupational training visa and flying down to Newcastle NSW for the rest of my stay....Planning on hitting Sydney for my tattoos as it's only about 2hrs away
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

im glad to hear that some loners are already out there and enjoying them selves!

Not long for me, three weeks at work left then a week off packing or should that be panicing?

I promise to have cold ones in the eski for when the rest of you arrive.

Doc
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

just leave them out on the balcony...as its damn freezing here!!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

just leave them out on the balcony...as its damn freezing here!!
LIES! Everyone knows that Oz is ALWAYS at least 40 degrees!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:12 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne
LIES! Everyone knows that Oz is ALWAYS at least 40 degrees!
its all lies. my sister tried to tell me it snowed in Wollongong the other day. Tut. As if! :curse:
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

so much for global warming,

it looks like its global cooling!

Was going to leave my long wetsuit at home, maybe not now

oz is not like this
oz should be like this

doc
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by docgp
so much for global warming,

it looks like its global cooling!

Was going to leave my long wetsuit at home, maybe not now

oz is not like this http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/na...-smiley-12.gif
oz should be like this http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/na...smiley-015.gif

doc
yes i know i have too much time on my hands guys

no need to tell me (although pony will)

karma will be greatly appreciated for my efforts though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.