Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Official Loners Thread

The Official Loners Thread

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:52 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Official Loners Thread

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne
I was watching that earlier...is bloody funny!

Got a salary query...was told in the interview salary would be $50k...contract just arrived and it says $40k...should I send a polite email querying this or wait til I get there and casually mention to my boss that it's $10k less than what I agreed to?? I would have turned the job down if I'd known it would be less than $50k but now it's too late as I can't complete my degree without industry experience
Most jobs are advertised with salary including superannuation contribution so it may be that your contract represents you actual salary after superann is taken off. I would ask them to explain what is included and what is excluded - that way you wont look like you are being funny. :-)

And I've been watching Summer Heights High and shit for ages and now I'm an expert break dancer and can stay in the air for like fully 8 seconds........
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Most jobs are advertised with salary including superannuation contribution so it may be that your contract represents you actual salary after superann is taken off. I would ask them to explain what is included and what is excluded - that way you wont look like you are being funny. :-)

And I've been watching Summer Heights High and shit for ages and now I'm an expert break dancer and can stay in the air for like fully 8 seconds........
couldnt find the part with him discussing his 8 seconds in the air but this will do instead.

class

sorry homos
doc
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Cause I'm only getting half as annual pay the super on $20k at 12% is just $2400!

I don't want to cause a fuss BUT the original figure was $75k which shrank to $50k in the interview and now has shrunk again...after tax I'm barely gonna be able to buy a motorbike and get a couple of tattoos
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:29 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Cause I'm only getting half as annual pay the super on $20k at 12% is just $2400!

I don't want to cause a fuss BUT the original figure was $75k which shrank to $50k in the interview and now has shrunk again...after tax I'm barely gonna be able to buy a motorbike and get a couple of tattoos
But you'll be in Oz!
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:30 pm
beach bum

Originally Posted by docgp
couldnt find the part with him discussing his 8 seconds in the air but this will do instead.

class

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mpk2F6rKVj0

sorry homos
doc
Doc you Ranga!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

He's a ranga sir, orangutan, he's got ginger hair.

Jonah is awesome.

Good news about the job progress Nicola.

I'm going to apply for my police checks this week, and phone up and book my meds. Got to have the new police checks now apparently, £35 instead of £10, but they're back within 10 days.

Don't know what I'll do if it comes back with stuff on it.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Got a reply saying that "salary was not mentioned" and that it is non negotiable. I'm not that fussed, I'm still going but it feels like their taking the mick slightly...
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

pacey is an unknown quantity at this point

Got a reply saying that "salary was not mentioned" and that it is non negotiable. I'm not that fussed, I'm still going but it feels like their taking the mick slightly...
that's a bit ****ing tight! How long do you have to work for them? What's the deal mate?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pacey
that's a bit ****ing tight! How long do you have to work for them? What's the deal mate?
A year... we get $20k as a salary then in 2 yrs we get another $20k lump sum when we graduate. Just looking through the contract and it's on a weekly basis so they can sack us at any time!! We do get paid fortnightly tho which will be nice.

There are two things that bother me...I applied for the job because we were told the salary would be at market value which for a mining engineer would be $90k upwards...this then went down to $70k which was less but still a lot and then on the day of my interview (but not in the interview) that it would be $50k. I got my contract about a week ago and it said $40k!!! This in itself is still a decent lump of money BUT not for our industry, even truck drivers in some mines get paid more than double this!!! If I stayed in the UK for another year being skint I could easily get a different job in Oz once I've done my degree and be on that wage of $90k.

The second was the type of work we'd be doing...we were originally told that two of us would be doing R&D type work out in the mines doing efficiency studies on TBMs (tunnel boring machines) and that one would be in a problem solving role e.g. flying out to mines where equipment isn't working properly and working out why this was and solving the problem. I applied because this is something that I really enjoy doing and am pretty good at. Now it turns out I'm going to be stuck in the R&D office doing calculations on drill bits... I specifically said that I didn't want a desk job as I hate them...:curse:

I'm still going because a) I want a year in Oz! b) I can't do my 3rd year until i've done at least 8wks of industry experience so would have to delay my degree by a year anyway and c) it's a brand new scheme this year and I don't want to ruin it for the people coming after me.

Unless something dramatically improves I won't be reccomending that anyone in the year below signs up for it!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice

hey you guys! (in the goonies style)

Ive just booked my flight!

OMFG

Its happening now boys and girls,

(th september leaving Manchester at 14 05 i expect you ALL there

Pony im going better than first class, i flying the fooker You must have news by now!

Anywho loners, York! bank holiday weekend (saturday) be there for a farewell drink,

Doc a ****** roo

X's to all
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

OMFG

Pony im going better than first class, i flying the fooker You must have news by now!

Anywho loners, York! bank holiday weekend (saturday) be there for a farewell drink,

Doc a ****** roo

X's to all
ty pony

9th not (th

wub to you all
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:54 am
beach bum

OMFG

Doc a ****** roo

X's to all

Oooooooh how exciting. I'll be at work on the 9th and I'm at a horse show on the bank holiday weekend but I will try and make it if you're out on the weekend before you go! :-) No more news for me yet. But I'll get there.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Oooooooh how exciting. I'll be at work on the 9th and I'm at a horse show on the bank holiday weekend but I will try and make it if you're out on the weekend before you go! :-) No more news for me yet. But I'll get there.
poor excuse there pony

what other excuses have others got?

doc
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

OMFG

Doc a ****** roo

X's to all
Hey Nice one doc! Good luck
Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Essex Neil is on a distinguished road

Well done Doc, let the rush begin

Have a drink for me.

As for me, I've just got off my flight and now typing this in Sydney

Just heard from MTPockets too, The main topic of conversation being meeting up for a beer, sounds like a good plan to me. More to follow.

Best wishes to all fellow TOLT members

Cheers

Essex Neil

OMFG

Doc a ****** roo

X's to all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.