Reload this Page >

The Official Loners Thread

Wikiposts

The Official Loners Thread

Old May 6th 2008, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Official Loners Thread

cant do the 1st June as its my birthday...any other time is fine... I think....
Old May 7th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Aquamarine will become famous soon enoughAquamarine will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sharonm5
cant do the 1st June as its my birthday...any other time is fine... I think....
OK Sharon Got a venue for us??

Anyone else?? 18 May or 8 June???
Old May 7th 2008, 4:06 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aquamarine
Let me know how you get on with flights?? Got anyone out there who could book them for you? Apparently cheaper?? There is also a shipper who do £99 "teachests" if your only taking a small amount.

PS What exactly does CBD stand for ?
Will do. I've read it's cheaper to book returns from the uk - and spoke a mate from sydney yesterday who said they're at least $2,000+ from there. Only problem is the baggage allowance issue.

Thanks for idea about teachests - hadn't thought about that. Already taking my surfboard so would make travels a little easier if I could send some stuff (nowhere near enough for any type of container).

Oh, and cbd = central business district. Where the skyscrapers are - there's the north cbd too on the other side of the bridge (where I'm hoping to find \ job if I live in Manly).

How are you getting on with things?
Old May 7th 2008, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

OK Sharon Got a venue for us??

Anyone else?? 18 May or 8 June???
what kind of place do you guys want, pub, bar, restaurant/bar, beer garden we have a few choices
Old May 7th 2008, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Aquamarine will become famous soon enoughAquamarine will become famous soon enough

what kind of place do you guys want, pub, bar, restaurant/bar, beer garden we have a few choices
Pub with beer garden (and food?) sounds great to me!!
Old May 7th 2008, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MTPockets
Will do. I've read it's cheaper to book returns from the uk - and spoke a mate from sydney yesterday who said they're at least $2,000+ from there. Only problem is the baggage allowance issue.

Thanks for idea about teachests - hadn't thought about that. Already taking my surfboard so would make travels a little easier if I could send some stuff (nowhere near enough for any type of container).

Oh, and cbd = central business district. Where the skyscrapers are - there's the north cbd too on the other side of the bridge (where I'm hoping to find \ job if I live in Manly).

How are you getting on with things?
Been trying to find a Post Office (!) that has Spec Del Silver Bags all day for passports!!

Apart from that, still musing about when to go. Will finish at work on 11 July so..........if I get a move on..........???

Going to get the lists posted on here up to tell me what to do next - no point reinventing the wheel

Emirates apparently do double allowance for emigration I have read, but couldn't find it on website. Need to ring them. Would that do you??
Old May 7th 2008, 7:03 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Been trying to find a Post Office (!) that has Spec Del Silver Bags all day for passports!!

Apart from that, still musing about when to go. Will finish at work on 11 July so..........if I get a move on..........???

Going to get the lists posted on here up to tell me what to do next - no point reinventing the wheel

Emirates apparently do double allowance for emigration I have read, but couldn't find it on website. Need to ring them. Would that do you??
---

I've already resigned so no excuses. Emirates - cheers I'll take a look although I was hoping to stop in singapore/bangkok/hongkong on the way - dubai isn't really my bag.
Here's a few links to get you going - loads more to organise than I anticipated so think it'll be tight for june!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345774
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336029
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/aus...rts-1-2-a.html
Old May 7th 2008, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Essex Neil is on a distinguished road

Hi all.

I'm new to this site and thread.

Landed a job in Sydney. Did someone mention teacrates for £99 ?. Sounds good can I have the details.

I'm also taking the plunge and going on my own to Sydney so I'm up for any beers when I get out there (probably Aug if all goes to plan)

Cheers

Old May 7th 2008, 10:07 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Essex Neil
Hi all.

Landed a job in Sydney. Did someone mention teacrates for £99 ?. Sounds good can I have the details.

I'm also taking the plunge and going on my own to Sydney so I'm up for any beers when I get out there (probably Aug if all goes to plan)

Cheers

Welcome to the mad house Neil - I'm aiming for Illawarra coast so I'll pop up and share a few with ya - or you can come to the Northern Illawarra Suburbs for a visit and sample the easy life if ya like. Dont forget your surfboard - if you aint got wax you aint coming in!
Old May 7th 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Welcome to the mad house Neil - I'm aiming for Illawarra coast so I'll pop up and share a few with ya - or you can come to the Northern Illawarra Suburbs for a visit and sample the easy life if ya like. Dont forget your surfboard - if you aint got wax you aint coming in!
Hi Ponyrama

Thanks the reply, encouraging need all the support I can get (a few wobbles about moving) ...Would love to visit the Northern Illawarra Suburbs :-), unfortunately only a novice surfer, only had 2 lessons at surfers paradise feb just gone, are novices allowed in ?.

How far are burbs away from CBD ?.

Cheers

Neil
Old May 7th 2008, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, I am thinking wimbledon village on the 8th June...although saying that my local in Colliers Wood has one of the best beer gardens and fab food (Colliers Tup), but is not the easiest for people to get to
Old May 7th 2008, 6:11 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ponyrama

Thanks the reply, encouraging need all the support I can get (a few wobbles about moving) ...Would love to visit the Northern Illawarra Suburbs :-), unfortunately only a novice surfer, only had 2 lessons at surfers paradise feb just gone, are novices allowed in ?.

How far are burbs away from CBD ?.

Cheers

Neil
All you need is a willingness to get in the water! CBD is about an hour away from where I'm heading. And hey dont worry about the wobbles - its a scary old process, and if you dont like it, you can always come back. But to come back you have to go first - see you there!!!
Old May 7th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi all.

Cheers

Welcome, Neil

Not sure if this is the one I first saw but just checked a thread and Freedom Shipping does first for £69, reducing as you add more. Check insurance though, sometimes cheaper to buy your own. Seven Seas Worldwide is another on her but more £ I think
Old May 7th 2008, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Welcome, Neil

Not sure if this is the one I first saw but just checked a thread and Freedom Shipping does first for £69, reducing as you add more. Check insurance though, sometimes cheaper to buy your own. Seven Seas Worldwide is another on her but more £ I think
Hi Aquamarine,

Thanks for the reply. I'm liking this site, certainly helps. Where are you in/going in oz ?.

Anyway, fabulous prices. I was in a bit of a quandry about shipping some of my possetions for this august I think cheap crates fis the bill.In the longer term I'm planning to come back to UK next year and collect the rest via a big container (probably put my car in it too. cars seem astroninomical in price i oz !).

Thanks Neil
Old May 7th 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ponyrama
All you need is a willingness to get in the water! CBD is about an hour away from where I'm heading. And hey dont worry about the wobbles - its a scary old process, and if you dont like it, you can always come back. But to come back you have to go first - see you there!!!
Hi Ponyrama.

Yeah, would love to visit. Need to sort something out closer to the time.

Thanks for the encouragement.....It helps talking on here. You are correct in the fact that I can come home. My biggest problem is giving up a very good low stress job in the UK and changing it for a high stress one in Sydney.

At this stage I think it's all in the mind and fear of the unknown. Good thing is I do know Sydney fairly well (apart from your area) as have been there 4 times.

Anyway...cahnce of a lifetime and all that so will regret it if I dont go so.......deep breaths Neil, and think of all that wonderfull weather and friendly people. :-)

Goto to go and do some work

Cheers

Neil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.