Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Let's just cut the crap and have a good row

Wikiposts

Let's just cut the crap and have a good row

Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:29 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's just cut the crap and have a good row

Originally Posted by Sander
Hhmm, I was thinking about bringing my bike actually, but wondered if there was any point to it seeing as the roads over there aren't really bike-friendly and it seems a bit dangerous to me since they're not really used to bikes on the road as we are here.

Don't remember seeing any bikes around on the roads when I was there last year. But it is possible and there are even some bike paths?! At least that's what I understand from your post. Will have a think about it again.
Wow, you discovered some useful information in the cut the crap thread!! ;-)

Yes, take it!

There's a bike path that goes all the way along the freeway. Then one along the trainline to Subiaco(and probably further).
And then there's a really nice one going all around the Swan, so you can do a circle (Perth-Narrows Bridge-South Perth - other bridge - back again)
And there's many more I think, like past the coast.

And then there's the roads, which are more dangerous. But you have to wear a helmet anyway :-D Yesterday, for 2 seconds I didn't have my helmet on(was getting off again nearly), and who comes up behind me.... a police moterbike! I was like: oops, sorry, I've just returned from Holland bla bla(it's times like this when I need a dutch accent )But just was told to wear it!

Oh, and sometimes it is a bit hilly...

Btw, did I tell you it only took me 15 mins to get to Subiaco!!!! And I wasn't even going that fast!
And that's where Pascal might/will probably get a job, so he can bike it easy! (is used to biking 30 mins)
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:34 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sander,

I asked about bike riding a while ago so you may find this thread of interest

http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...d.php?t=205452
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:36 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

hello all, anything new on the cut the crap thread?
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:39 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

hey Bundy, was in cambs this past weekend, changed a bit since i last went!
the new cinema is a right haven for young-tearaways!
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:39 pm
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bundy
Where are you heading to? There are cycle paths around - Canberra is full of them (but not a lot else )
I'm headed to Perth by the end of the year (hopefully ).
Just need to finish uni and get that little thing called a 'visa' :scared:

Like your signature by the way, class album that. Saw them live in London earlier this year.
Yes, it's a good album. I saw them live in Utrecht (NL) earlier this year. Went to see them with my fiancée (aussie girl). She's from Perth and we ran into another girl from Perth at the concert!! Small world eh?!

EDIT: just read your post about coming off your bike...hope you're doing ok!!
I can't believe the car just drove on?? Here, have some karma!

Last edited by Sander; Aug 15th 2004 at 9:55 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:40 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling alright Bix? Not running a temperature or anything?
I am just happy today Bundy

Really sorry to here of your misfortune though.
It's what I dread when on the bike.
Not enough consideration to the two wheelers is there ?
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:41 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by ksct97
hey Bundy, was in cambs this past weekend, changed a bit since i last went!
the new cinema is a right haven for young-tearaways!
Ksct - what type car do you drive ?
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:43 pm
Invisi... K

:scared:

Very scared.

I go away for one weekend and look what happens...trolls, newbies....I don't like change!

I was beginning to think it might be concussion. Got knocked off my bike on Saturday by a *@*! BMW driver who then drove away!!!!!!! Leaving me lying on the road, bike tangled about my legs, bleeding profusely. Charming.

So I'm now nursing a spectacular array of bruises and cuts and scrapes. Chipped a rib off my sternum, left the tip of a finger somewhere on the road, scraped my hands, have a knee the size of a football, a bruised foot and - worst of all - a whacking great scabby bruise on my chin. Luckily managed to keep all my teeth and, blessed with a squishy nose, kept that intact too.

Spent the afternoon in the hospital and the rest of the weekend smothered in ice and savlon.

I think I deserve plenty of sympathy shaped karma.

And I can't type, due to my wounds, so excuse the typos.
<doing a bit of catch-up>
sorry to hear about yuor accident... was this in cambs? usually drivers are pretty tolerant of cyclists, and i mean that in the purist sense, summer-english-school-students do not count, 'cos they do not know how to cycle intelligently and safely!
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:45 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I am just happy today Bundy

Really sorry to here of your misfortune though.
It's what I dread when on the bike.

Thanks Bix. The little family from Edinburgh who came to my rescue were a bit scared of me I think because there I was, dripping blood, one shoe lying halfway across the road, my bicycle wrapped round my legs, ranting and raving about BMW drivers with all kinds of expletives streaming from my mouth. Then I burst into tears because it flippin well hurt and was a bit of a shock. Luckily, the mum had all kinds of tissues with her because (guess what) they'd just come back from Oz and she had one of those little packets of wipes and things you get on planes. So I stopped ranting and crying and started a whole long conversation about Oz whilst dripping blood over everything and everyone. Some kind person rescued my shoe.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:47 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ksct97
<doing a bit of catch-up>
sorry to hear about yuor accident... was this in cambs? usually drivers are pretty tolerant of cyclists, and i mean that in the purist sense, summer-english-school-students do not count, 'cos they do not know how to cycle intelligently and safely!

LOL! Yes, summer school students are fair game. But not those organising the summer schools (me).

Luckily I was wearing my oh-so attractive purple cycle helmet and was therefore indigantly proud of myself for whacking my head and living to tell the tale (even if I have got a scuffed chin and nose)
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:49 pm
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Simone
Wow, you discovered some useful information in the cut the crap thread!! ;-)
LOL, yes it's quite amazing dont you think

Yes, take it!

There's a bike path that goes all the way along the freeway. Then one along the trainline to Subiaco(and probably further).
And then there's a really nice one going all around the Swan, so you can do a circle (Perth-Narrows Bridge-South Perth - other bridge - back again)
And there's many more I think, like past the coast.
Well alright then, sounds nice enough!

And then there's the roads, which are more dangerous. But you have to wear a helmet anyway Yesterday, for 2 seconds I didn't have my helmet on(was getting off again nearly), and who comes up behind me.... a police moterbike! I was like: oops, sorry, I've just returned from Holland bla bla(it's times like this when I need a dutch accent)But just was told to wear it!

Oh, and sometimes it is a bit hilly...
A helmet...yeah I knew about that. If you ask me the Aussies are just a bunch of wussies
I guess it makes sense with the traffic there...and the hills. How hilly is hilly btw? Driving along in the car it seemed ok, but maybe that's a bit different on a bike. :scared: I've the 'typical' dutch bike with 3 gears, no mountain-bike or ATB with hundreds of gears. So, if I take it it needs to be REALLY REALLY clean right?

Btw, did I tell you it only took me 15 mins to get to Subiaco!!!! And I wasn't even going that fast!
And that's where Pascal might/will probably get a job, so he can bike it easy! (is used to biking 30 mins)
Well, you told me now
Sounds good, hope he gets a job there...would be nice to ride to work every day! Much better than over here!
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:51 pm
f1junkie

Originally Posted by Bix
Hi Sander,

I asked about bike riding a while ago so you may find this thread of interest

http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...d.php?t=205452
Thx Bix, I'll go and have a look now
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:53 pm
Invisi... K

Originally Posted by Bix
Ksct - what type car do you drive ?
errr... i have been known to drive a bmw on occasions!

but i ensure you i was not in the knocking-down cyclist mood on saturday!!!
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:53 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily I was wearing my oh-so attractive purple cycle helmet and was therefore indigantly proud of myself for whacking my head and living to tell the tale (even if I have got a scuffed chin and nose)
Hmm, yeah, I guess there is a good reason to wear a helmet in places with hardly no bike paths!!!

Bix, are you still planning to live semi-rural without a car!! :scared:
If your were going to a city, I'd say you'd be right, but otherwise....!!!!
remember, the public transport isn't that great either!!!!

Btw, if you try and get your license, do it here. If the UK is anything like Holland, then it'd be much easier to get it here!!!
Old Aug 15th 2004, 9:56 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

too right!
and when i lived in london (going back to late 80's early 90's, i used to cycle a bit...until someone (who lived in the same block of the nurses home at charing cross hospital as me!) snipped my brake wires and i went pelting hell for leather round shepherds bush with no brakes!!! NOT nice I can tell you, speshly when you come nose to bumper with a lorry!! one busted shoulder later.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.