Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England v India, who is going to win

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Swann had two wickets in this series to his name before this last test. I think he picked up a total of two in the last one. Whereas Broad was on 19 ( I think) and Anderson 12. I reckon we would survive without Swann more than we would survive without Anderson. Granted, if it was a flat wicket dust bowl then yes we would miss him, but there aren't a huge amount of those around the world.

It's not like Swann cleaned up the Aussies, is it?

In terms of reliance at the moment I would put our order in the following:

1. Anderson
2. Trott
3. Cook
4. Bell
5. Swann
If you need a spinner, he's your man. Probably the best in the world and you have nobody else who comes close. SA have never had great spinners although Harris is okay and is often underestimated.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:24 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you need a spinner, he's your man. Probably the best in the world and you have nobody else who comes close. SA have never had great spinners although Harris is okay and is often underestimated.
By all accounts Panesar has improved enormously in the last couple of years. Hard for me to agree or disagree, me having no access to county cricket coverage. I guess we'll find out when England play Pak and SL this winter. There are going to be games where they need two spinners, and Monty is still number 2.

I hope squad depth doesn't come into it. If we don't have full strength teams when England play South Africa I'll be very disappointed. I want to see how Bell, Trott and the rebranded Cook do against SA's best attack. I want to see Smith, Kallis, De Villiers etc do against England's full attack.

I just get the feeling that England will come out better. There will have to be times when Morkel and Steyn won't be bowling, whereas with the England attack I don't see the batsmen getting a break (apart from the occasional Pietersen twiddle).
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
By all accounts Panesar has improved enormously in the last couple of years. Hard for me to agree or disagree, me having no access to county cricket coverage. I guess we'll find out when England play Pak and SL this winter. There are going to be games where they need two spinners, and Monty is still number 2.

I hope squad depth doesn't come into it. If we don't have full strength teams when England play South Africa I'll be very disappointed. I want to see how Bell, Trott and the rebranded Cook do against SA's best attack. I want to see Smith, Kallis, De Villiers etc do against England's full attack.

I just get the feeling that England will come out better. There will have to be times when Morkel and Steyn won't be bowling, whereas with the England attack I don't see the batsmen getting a break (apart from the occasional Pietersen twiddle).
I see both teams winning at home and losing away against each other.

No.1 spot will change hands often.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

The World Test Championship will be held where?
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by General Tojo
The World Test Championship will be held where?
no idea
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...and-world-test

Home advantage for England. As I suspected...
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by General Tojo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...and-world-test

Home advantage for England. As I suspected...
Apart from this! No worries for SA.
Interesting article. What these England guys don't seem to realise is that they can easily lose the No.1 spot, no matter how well they play. In the next 5 months it is totally out of their control.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:07 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Tahir?????????? Much better than Harris
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Tahir?????????? Much better than Harris
Yeah, forgot about him.

He'll do.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:25 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand, SA could only manage a drawn series at home with India very recently, which might tend to suggest they'll struggle against England anywhere.

How about a different way of looking at it. Imagine a number one crown that is more like a boxing world title, so you win it when you beat the previous holders. England beat India to take it, so how long before someone beats England?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:58 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

How about a different way of looking at it. Imagine a number one crown that is more like a boxing world title, so you win it when you beat the previous holders. England beat India to take it, so how long before someone beats England?
Because I'll tell you what would happen. India would beat the No.1 team then the BCCI would put their foot down and refuse to play anyone else outside of India
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

On the other hand, SA could only manage a drawn series at home with India very recently, which might tend to suggest they'll struggle against England anywhere.
You really need to stop living in the past - this current series should show you that!

SA have a new coach, a new challenge, and 3 series that we can win.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:41 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It is inevitable England will lose a series here and there but looking at the team as it stands and looking at the opposition I cant see them being beaten consistently for years to come.

Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:58 am
Demi-God

You really need to stop living in the past - this current series should show you that!

SA have a new coach, a new challenge, and 3 series that we can win.
Living in the past? Oh yes, I remember the optimism we all had when England got new coaches, Graeme Hick got to play... Ramprakash...

False dawns are dime a dozen in cricket, any English supporter can tell you that. The only thing that counts is results, not changes.

Last edited by Burbage; Aug 15th 2011 at 11:01 am.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Living in the past? Oh yes, I remember the optimism we all had when England got new coaches, Graeme Hick got to play... Ramprakash...

False dawns are dime a dozen in cricket, any English supporter can tell you that. The only thing that counts is results, not changes.
But sometimes good results come out of change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.