Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Wikiposts

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Old Aug 13th 2011, 5:46 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England v India, who is going to win

Originally Posted by Amazulu
As Australia's grip on test cricket has now been broken, and the top 4 nations are now very competitive between each other, then I see the No.1 spot changing hands pretty frequently.
I'm not sure there will be a top 4 as such. Definitely between SA and Eng. Aus are going to take a while to regroup before they are competitive enough to beat us both. India is an interesting one and will completely come down to when Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman retire. But their bowling (even with Zaheer) is touchy on foreign soil. SL are basically crap outside of SL. So really I see it as a tussle between Eng and SA for the next few years.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I'm not sure there will be a top 4 as such. Definitely between SA and Eng. Aus are going to take a while to regroup before they are competitive enough to beat us both. India is an interesting one and will completely come down to when Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman retire. But their bowling (even with Zaheer) is touchy on foreign soil. SL are basically crap outside of SL. So really I see it as a tussle between Eng and SA for the next few years.
(Not that I'm able enough to follow that closely) I'm not that down on AUS - they are still the number one ranked team in one-day cricket.

How do you think the AUS vs India series will go?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:52 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by General Tojo
(Not that I'm able enough to follow that closely) I'm not that down on AUS - they are still the number one ranked team in one-day cricket.

How do you think the AUS vs India series will go?
Unless India can regather and produce a bowling attack that can put an entire series together I reckon the Aussies will get up on their own soil. If Zaheer can get fit again and Ishant can find the form that he produced last time he was in Aus (remember how he made an in-form Ponting look very ordinary?) then I think India can compete. As things sit right now, I would say Aus would just about edge it out.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:38 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Sorry haven't read the previous posts. Is it too late to say I think India is going to win the series?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:41 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
Sorry haven't read the previous posts. Is it too late to say I think India is going to win the series?
Are you Pakistani by chance?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:41 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
nope, fancy a bet
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:52 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
nope, fancy a bet
Well I didn't specify which series....
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:59 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Most commentators seem to think England should hang onto the number 1 spot for years to come because of their strength and depth that no other country seems to have at the moment. They have won 8 of their last 9 test series. Australia down in 5th place have a huge task ahead of them and don't look strong enough to seriously worry the top few countries.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chris955
Most commentators seem to think England should hang onto the number 1 spot for years to come because of their strength and depth that no other country seems to have at the moment. They have won 8 of their last 9 test series. Australia down in 5th place have a huge task ahead of them and don't look strong enough to seriously worry the top few countries.
http://cricketcrowd.com/displayvideo...y+doing+right?

Well these Aussies seem to agree, Slater annoyingly can't resist slipping in the Saffers factor and who's the bimb in the 9 studio?
Old Aug 14th 2011, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Yup, you can sit in the stands in fancy dress drinking beer all day whilst mixing with the opposition fans

....or

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/H...ame_Of_Cricket
Old Aug 14th 2011, 11:20 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Nah...England would ALWAYS win at that version....(if they used a few Scots anyway).
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
How? If SA win their next 3 series (Australia and SL at home, NZ away), there is no way that England can stay No.1 as they are not playing test cricket until next Spring.

The test No.1 spot will probably change hands frequently over the next few years.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:00 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

How? If SA win their next 3 series (Australia and SL at home, NZ away), there is no way that England can stay No.1 as they are not playing test cricket until next Spring.

The test No.1 spot will probably change hands frequently over the next few years.
I forgot to ask, how is the Rugby going?
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:04 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I forgot to ask, how is the Rugby going?
Good. Building nicely for the WC. You need to remember that the 3N are not the WC. In 2007, the Bokke had a shocking 3N and then went on to win the WC

How's England going?
Old Aug 14th 2011, 2:25 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

England have a test series against Pakistan sometime in the winter (probably Feb-March) but the dates haven't been set yet. Considering that Pakistan professional cricketers earn their crust by asking bookies "How many runs am I allowed to make?" then England losing that series is pretty unlikely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.