Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Wikiposts

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Old Aug 13th 2011, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: England v India, who is going to win

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
another DRS special, that'll learn 'em

Do they have video evidence in the IPL? Worked out how to nobble the adjudicator yet?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 1:49 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by General Tojo
Do they have video evidence in the IPL? Worked out how to nobble the adjudicator yet?
no idea mate don't watch IPL
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:04 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

The army is singing the Mitchel Johnson song.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:07 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

All done. Innings and 242 runs.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Like It Is will become famous soon enough

Cooks innings was masterful.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:08 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
All done. Innings and 242 runs.
and Pietersen straight over to Broad to apologise for letting the last one throught for 4

right time for the rugby
Old Aug 13th 2011, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
It's like a faster version of baseball but they play for longer so they include lunch breaks, tea breaks and sleep overs.
Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
One team goes in to bat. When that team are all out they come back into the pavilion and the team that were in the field go out to bat. When they are all out repeat the process. Simples
Originally Posted by DeadVim
I thought that about NFL but I watched it for a while in the UK (when it was being pushed many years ago) and got into it a bit, even went to a game in the wilds of Kent.

You do need someone that is into it to guide you though. My Aussie OH wasn't really a fan before I arrived here and now she takes more of an interest (or she is just humouring me).

Suffice to say there are many aspects of the game and it's probably better to understand the short forms before getting into the ebb and flow of Test Cricket.

It also helps if you play the game, something I had not done until I arrived in Oz 7 years ago.

Play for 5 days and it's a draw? What is all that about?
Maybe there is more to it than meets the uninitiated eye.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:22 am
Shiny Arse Know All

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Maybe there is more to it than meets the uninitiated eye.
Yup, you can sit in the stands in fancy dress drinking beer all day whilst mixing with the opposition fans
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Yup, you can sit in the stands in fancy dress drinking beer all day whilst mixing with the opposition fans
And the ball may land in your full glass of beer winning you a Toyota prize to boot!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

First time I've seen someone out caught off a shoelace though!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:23 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Well done to England. A great win and deserved No.1 spot.

Enjoy it while you can because SA will have it back in January.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:48 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Well done to England. A great win and deserved No.1 spot.

Enjoy it while you can because SA will have it back in January.
I can't remember, but that series is in England, right? We only just played you guys in SA last year off memory. I reckon we will win that series in England and by the time we get out to your shores again I would lay money on Kallis being retired (or broken).

If this current England crop played SA home and away tomorrow I think it would be a scintillating contest. It would be very tight indeed. I reckon it would be quite low scoring matches and would be a battle of which batting line-up deals with the opposition's bowling attack best. To me England have a much deeper attack, whereas SA rely too much on Steyn and Morkel. I reckon if you can get on top of Steyn you'll also topple Morkel quite easily as I think he relies so much on Steyn's aggression. Similar to how Gillespie used to get a lot of his wickets because of McGrath's bowling at the other end. Negate McGrath and you would also do the same to Gillespie by default (look at the Ashes 05').

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Aug 13th 2011 at 2:50 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 3:34 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I can't remember, but that series is in England, right? We only just played you guys in SA last year off memory. I reckon we will win that series in England and by the time we get out to your shores again I would lay money on Kallis being retired (or broken).

If this current England crop played SA home and away tomorrow I think it would be a scintillating contest. It would be very tight indeed. I reckon it would be quite low scoring matches and would be a battle of which batting line-up deals with the opposition's bowling attack best. To me England have a much deeper attack, whereas SA rely too much on Steyn and Morkel. I reckon if you can get on top of Steyn you'll also topple Morkel quite easily as I think he relies so much on Steyn's aggression. Similar to how Gillespie used to get a lot of his wickets because of McGrath's bowling at the other end. Negate McGrath and you would also do the same to Gillespie by default (look at the Ashes 05').
England are not playing test cricket again until next spring after this tour. SA have home series against Australia and Sri Lanka coming up. If SA win both, and I don't see why not, then they will go back to No.1.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:38 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
England are not playing test cricket again until next spring after this tour. SA have home series against Australia and Sri Lanka coming up. If SA win both, and I don't see why not, then they will go back to No.1.
Given the opposition (Australia and SL at home then NZ away) and the fact that England do not play any tests for another 9 months then it is pretty much a given that SA will take the throne then.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Given the opposition (Australia and SL at home then NZ away) and the fact that England do not play any tests for another 9 months then it is pretty much a given that SA will take the throne then.
As Australia's grip on test cricket has now been broken, and the top 4 nations are now very competitive between each other, then I see the No.1 spot changing hands pretty frequently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.