Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Comfortably numb......

Wikiposts

Comfortably numb......

Old Jun 18th 2011, 2:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comfortably numb......

Originally Posted by rasen78
If you hold it landscape it should stay like it - you may need to give it a slight shake
Its a bit like training a puppy, I think I've taught it to stay that way round now.......
Telstra helpfully imported all my contacts but they have managed to get the all jumbled up so things are filed under the wrong names so that isn't helping! And I don't understand why I'm paying a contract for internet access yet every time I go to the internet page it asks me for wifi passwords that I don't have
Old Jun 18th 2011, 2:20 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So fellow BEers, how can you entertain me for the next 2 weeks?
I bet you wish you'd never said that now....me and my stupid phone could fill those two weeks very nicely
Old Jun 18th 2011, 2:35 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its a bit like training a puppy, I think I've taught it to stay that way round now.......
Telstra helpfully imported all my contacts but they have managed to get the all jumbled up so things are filed under the wrong names so that isn't helping! And I don't understand why I'm paying a contract for internet access yet every time I go to the internet page it asks me for wifi passwords that I don't have
The internet access will not necessarily be the wifi - wifi will be the wifi in your home, cafes etc. The iphone will basically access the wifi account that you use. Usually, IIRC, iPhone will automatically connect to the broadband using the 3G network, if wifi is not available. You should have another group of settings, something along the lines of 'Connect to the Internet' or similar. Your provider should have sent all the settings (I would imagine) for it to set up automatically. Once you have accessed it once, it should do it automatically in the future (if you request it). Basically you are using your iPhone as it's own modem.http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1695
Old Jun 18th 2011, 3:12 am
Home and Happy

The internet access will not necessarily be the wifi - wifi will be the wifi in your home, cafes etc. The iphone will basically access the wifi account that you use. Usually, IIRC, iPhone will automatically connect to the broadband using the 3G network, if wifi is not available. You should have another group of settings, something along the lines of 'Connect to the Internet' or similar. Your provider should have sent all the settings (I would imagine) for it to set up automatically. Once you have accessed it once, it should do it automatically in the future (if you request it). Basically you are using your iPhone as it's own modem.http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1695
That makes sense, I thought it should just be its own modem and work wherever, cos thats what I wanted, I didn't want something that has to be in a wifi zone. It must just be picking up next door's wifi then but ignoring it (as I don't have a password) and accessing the internet on its own.

Really stupid question now, before I go to bed for a couple of hours.....if I go on the net, say I open the BE page, then I just go back to texting, I don't have to close the internet or anything do i? It doesn't use my allowance while its just sitting there wiating for me to go back onto it again?
Old Jun 18th 2011, 3:22 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

That makes sense, I thought it should just be its own modem and work wherever, cos thats what I wanted, I didn't want something that has to be in a wifi zone. It must just be picking up next door's wifi then but ignoring it (as I don't have a password) and accessing the internet on its own.

Really stupid question now, before I go to bed for a couple of hours.....if I go on the net, say I open the BE page, then I just go back to texting, I don't have to close the internet or anything do i? It doesn't use my allowance while its just sitting there wiating for me to go back onto it again?
TBH I'm not sure. There is an APP you can download that will tell you what apps are still working, not sure what it is called. Some Apps, such as Facebook, carry on working in the background, but I don't have my internet on all the time as it really drains the battery on the HTC. If you have WIFI at home, just use that as it will not come off your phone allowance, it's just like having an extra laptop.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:18 am
Home and Happy

TBH I'm not sure. There is an APP you can download that will tell you what apps are still working, not sure what it is called. Some Apps, such as Facebook, carry on working in the background, but I don't have my internet on all the time as it really drains the battery on the HTC. If you have WIFI at home, just use that as it will not come off your phone allowance, it's just like having an extra laptop.
No, I don't have wifi, just run on mobile broadband, so the aim was to try and reduce the cost of that by using the allowance on the phone part of the time......can't see that happening now somehow!!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:23 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

No, I don't have wifi, just run on mobile broadband, so the aim was to try and reduce the cost of that by using the allowance on the phone part of the time......can't see that happening now somehow!!
So you should be able to use your iPhone as a 'dongle' then - may be called USB tethering.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:29 am
Home and Happy

So you should be able to use your iPhone as a 'dongle' then - may be called USB tethering.

Pass the valium someone, I knew I should've stuck to broomstick waving and left this technology stuff alone
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:49 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Pass the valium someone, I knew I should've stuck to broomstick waving and left this technology stuff alone
You STILL whinging
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:55 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
You STILL whinging
I had to get it out of my system somewhere!! I think my fingers are just too fat for the keys Stuck with it anyway so I shall just have to live with it! I'm just disappointed cos once I'd talked myself into getting it I thought it would be a great gadget, instead its just given me 24 hours of grief!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 9:58 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I had to get it out of my system somewhere!! I think my fingers are just too fat for the keys Stuck with it anyway so I shall just have to live with it! I'm just disappointed cos once I'd talked myself into getting it I thought it would be a great gadget, instead its just given me 24 hours of grief!
Sounds like my honeymoon night
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:02 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Sounds like my honeymoon night
How do you ALWAYS manage to cheer me up
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Stay away from tethering in this country.. therein lies the 11,000 dollar overnight bills that The Whirlpool forum is full off.. A lot of Mobile providers somehow exclude the tethering costs from their data provisions.

Only use it if you have triple nay quadruple checked that your providers small print allows it.... MOST DONT
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:02 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Stay away from tethering in this country.. therein lies the 11,000 dollar overnight bills that The Whirlpool forum is full off.. A lot of Mobile providers somehow exclude the tethering costs from their data provisions.

Only use it if you have triple nay quadruple checked that your providers small print allows it.... MOST DONT
Tethering? WTF is that? I thought that was something you did to goats?!! Is it something that happens automatically or do I have to actually do something to the phone to tether it?

(Polly wanders off to find some string to tether her phone to the chair in case it strays.......)
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:25 am
It's cos I'm Ginger isn't

GingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to allGingerDom is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
bugger has he had his visa granted then?
AWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! Spent £125 on an application to see if I qualified for emigration about 5 months agao, and I am told I don't have enough points

Hi everyone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.