Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Old May 16th 2007, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
Pubs are like community centres or bingo halls or something. There are no little nooks or corners where you can have a cosy chat, they have no heart or soul here, none at all.
This is because most Australian pubs were built in the 20th Century. English pubs are only full of "nooks and corners" because that's the way it was done 400 years ago when they were built. Have a look at the "pubs" in Britain that were built in the 1960s, etc. Lovely places.

Australia is not what it appears to be from the outside.
Where is? Ask many Americans to describe Britain and they'll tell you all about the snow and horse-drawn cabs and portly gentlemen in taverns reading Punch and making quips while waiting for the figgy pudding to arrive. When they alight from their 747s they arrive in a sea of shell-suits and foul-mouthed scrotes and broken-down trains.
Old May 16th 2007, 8:45 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by borehamwood
you forgot the powercut's
Powercuts, straight out of the 70's. Fatty's right.
Old May 16th 2007, 8:49 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you're talking about Queensland, I'd agree, but its not 20 years behind.....30 is closer
Oh come now...try a century my dear.
Old May 16th 2007, 9:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Oh come now...try a century my dear.
I was trying to be diplomatic!!!
Old May 16th 2007, 11:01 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't they burn witchers back then
Originally Posted by Pollyana
I was trying to be diplomatic!!!
Old May 16th 2007, 11:11 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tableland

This is because most Australian pubs were built in the 20th Century. English pubs are only full of "nooks and corners" because that's the way it was done 400 years ago when they were built. Have a look at the "pubs" in Britain that were built in the 1960s, etc. Lovely places.
I am not sure if you are serious here or not but I can tell you for a fact that most pubs in Britain are not over 400 years old, yes a few are but most pubs would be way younger than that, my old local was built in the 50's and was a great old place. It is not just the decor but the mix of locals and chit chat you can get by the bar, great tables and chairs to sit on and not like something out of a school canteen.

Originally Posted by Tableland

Where is? Ask many Americans to describe Britain and they'll tell you all about the snow and horse-drawn cabs and portly gentlemen in taverns reading Punch and making quips while waiting for the figgy pudding to arrive. When they alight from their 747s they arrive in a sea of shell-suits and foul-mouthed scrotes and broken-down trains.
Americans are Americans mate, let them be, there is no hope for them.

Have you actually been to Australia?
Old May 16th 2007, 11:21 pm
A mile High

Location: Noosa, soon to be the US of A (for a little while anyway)
rebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to behold

It does have a bit of a feel of Neil kinnock as far as politics is concerned, I watched the conference last week, well some of it and almost expected to see Michael Foot sleeping on the platform somewhere.

Fashion is fine if you are a twenty something and/or you don't mind dressing like Brad off neighbours.

Pubs are like community centres or bingo halls or something. There are no little nooks or corners where you can have a cosy chat, they have no heart or soul here, none at all.

Shopping in Coles is similar to kwik Save or some other corner shop, no choice and no quality. Woolworths is better but they have the monopoly.

Hooning is far far worse here, kids driving around in 4 litre jobbys screwing the tits out of them where their counterpart in blighty would be screwing a nova or mini, not quite the same eh?

The television is akin to 70's TV, bring back Knotts Landing or Howards Way.

Australia is not what it appears to be from the outside.

here we go again!!! look, incase you were not aware, Australia is a different country to Britain, it is in a different continent and a different hempishere !! People are different, cultures are different, and yes some foods are different too!!! you cannot compare the two countries because they are different !!!! You are in a different country, get used to it, accept and try to adapt or go back !!
Old May 16th 2007, 11:32 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebabaros
here we go again!!! look, incase you were not aware, Australia is a different country to Britain, it is in a different continent and a different hempishere !! People are different, cultures are different, and yes some foods are different too!!! you cannot compare the two countries because they are different !!!! You are in a different country, get used to it, accept and try to adapt or go back !!

Was thinking the same myself
Old May 16th 2007, 11:34 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

I am well aware of the differences and am considering going back but you have to make a fair go of it.

The point I am trying to make is that Australia has no soul, no culture and is a bland and barren place and I am entitled to make that point.

We came here on 3 recce trips, we visited Melbourne, Perth, Cairns, Brisbane and sydney and spent weeks at a time in each location aswel as time spent on the road travelling between locations but nothing prepares you for actually living here.

Australia is the most boring place on earth that I have ever lived and I have been about, it just lacks a pulse, there is no feeling of togetherness or a feeling of belonging to the planet in any meaningful way, Australia is a sheep in the modern world.

Parochial and insular are words that come to mind when I think of Australian news broadcasts, I remember watching the Olympics with shame at the standard of the Aussie broadcast, you would of sworn that Australia were the only team as they did not show any events other than those that were represented by Australians and mainly the events they won medals in, Australia excel at sport, no doubt but there is more to life and nobody likes a sore winner.

I am doing my best to try and fit in but I am not sure it is going to work out for me, I feel alone and lonely as it is difficult to penetrate in to social groups that are well established, yes we go to snag sizzles and other social events but it all feels so plastic and feels like we are doing all the running to make friends, not a nice feeling.

I could go on but I think you get the picture.
Old May 16th 2007, 11:51 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Thats so true, I was in China on holiday during the last Olympics and I was surprised that the Chinese coverage was less biased then the Australian coverage. They actually showed events the Chinese where not competing in

I remember watching the Olympics with shame at the standard of the Aussie broadcast, you would of sworn that Australia were the only team as they did not show any events other than those that were represented by Australians and mainly the events they won medals in
Old May 16th 2007, 11:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

here we go again!!!
Exactly.
If you like it, stay.
If you don't like it, go.
End of.
Old May 16th 2007, 11:52 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure if you are serious here or not but I can tell you for a fact that most pubs in Britain are not over 400 years old, yes a few are but most pubs would be way younger than that, my old local was built in the 50's and was a great old place. It is not just the decor but the mix of locals and chit chat you can get by the bar, great tables and chairs to sit on and not like something out of a school canteen.

Americans are Americans mate, let them be, there is no hope for them.

Have you actually been to Australia?
One of my local pubs is a 140 year old coaching in ... http://www.berryhotel.com.au ... lots of 'nooks and crannies', good banter, great food and not a canteen chair in sight. But I prefer the Great Southern at the other end of town... http://www.shoal.net.au/~berry/gsh/gsh.html - bloody excellent boozer.

Today's lesson - don't judge everywhere in Australia by where you have chosen to live.
Old May 16th 2007, 11:54 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Exactly.
If you like it, stay.
If you don't like it, go.
End of.
Originally Posted by Hutch
One of my local pubs is a 140 year old coaching in ... http://www.berryhotel.com.au ... lots of 'nooks and crannies', good banter, great food and not a canteen chair in sight. But I prefer the Great Southern at the other end of town... http://www.shoal.net.au/~berry/gsh/gsh.html - bloody excellent boozer.

Today's lesson - don't judge everywhere in Australia by where you have chosen to live.

Come on guys - lets not start diffusing this thread by making common sense comments.

Old May 16th 2007, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch

But Hutch, Australia is such a small place, surely everywhere is the same.
Old May 16th 2007, 11:58 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I remember watching the Olympics with shame at the standard of the Aussie broadcast, you would of sworn that Australia were the only team as they did not show any events other than those that were represented by Australians and mainly the events they won medals in, Australia excel at sport, no doubt but there is more to life and nobody likes a sore winner.
That is true. I love my new home and the aussies, but they do seem to forget that they excel at sports that, on the whole, nobody else on the planet gives a shit about - swimming, cricket, netball!!!, AFL etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.