Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Old May 17th 2007, 12:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Originally Posted by Hutch
One of my local pubs is a 140 year old coaching in ... http://www.berryhotel.com.au ... lots of 'nooks and crannies', good banter, great food and not a canteen chair in sight. But I prefer the Great Southern at the other end of town... http://www.shoal.net.au/~berry/gsh/gsh.html - bloody excellent boozer.

Today's lesson - don't judge everywhere in Australia by where you have chosen to live.
Nice. There are 2 great pubs in Kalamunda. The Last Drop Tavern is a bit tatty but very friendly and serves micro-brewed beers. Their pilsener is great. The Kalmunda Hotel is not quite as nice but also very friendly and always seems to be busy. Both these places are a 1km walk from my house.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Today's lesson - don't judge everywhere in Australia by where you have chosen to live.
Exactly.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:06 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

That is true. I love my new home and the aussies, but they do seem to forget that they excel at sports that, on the whole, nobody else on the planet gives a shit about - swimming, cricket, netball!!!, AFL etc...
Although, at the risk of talking to myself (yes Hutch, carry on) - it beats being utterly mediocre at absolutely everything like us Brits.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:06 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
But Hutch, Australia is such a small place, surely everywhere is the same.
I thought everywhere was as boring as Perth
Old May 17th 2007, 12:09 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
No you are wrong there...........no where is as boring as Perth

bye the bye have I mention my boat yet this week!
Old May 17th 2007, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird

Oh yeah, must be
Old May 17th 2007, 12:13 am
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

With hindsight, which is always a great one to piss you right off, we should of chosen Melbourne which seems to have the mix just right, a little culture, good nightlife and shopping, the capital of Australia IMHO.

We chose Brisbane for career reasons as I have the potential to earn better here.

I am just talking out loud folks, ignore me.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:14 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
With hindsight, which is always a great one to piss you right off, we should of chosen Melbourne which seems to have the mix just right, a little culture, good nightlife and shopping, the capital of Australia IMHO.

We chose Brisbane for career reasons as I have the potential to earn better here.

You know you could move FB? Why not try that before throwing the towel in.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Money's not always everything mate, maybe if it doesn't get any better give Melbourne a try. Could be a compromise between you and your wife.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:15 am
A mile High

Location: Noosa, soon to be the US of A (for a little while anyway)
rebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to behold

I am well aware of the differences and am considering going back but you have to make a fair go of it.

The point I am trying to make is that Australia has no soul, no culture and is a bland and barren place and I am entitled to make that point.

We came here on 3 recce trips, we visited Melbourne, Perth, Cairns, Brisbane and sydney and spent weeks at a time in each location aswel as time spent on the road travelling between locations but nothing prepares you for actually living here.

Australia is the most boring place on earth that I have ever lived and I have been about, it just lacks a pulse, there is no feeling of togetherness or a feeling of belonging to the planet in any meaningful way, Australia is a sheep in the modern world.

Parochial and insular are words that come to mind when I think of Australian news broadcasts, I remember watching the Olympics with shame at the standard of the Aussie broadcast, you would of sworn that Australia were the only team as they did not show any events other than those that were represented by Australians and mainly the events they won medals in, Australia excel at sport, no doubt but there is more to life and nobody likes a sore winner.

I am doing my best to try and fit in but I am not sure it is going to work out for me, I feel alone and lonely as it is difficult to penetrate in to social groups that are well established, yes we go to snag sizzles and other social events but it all feels so plastic and feels like we are doing all the running to make friends, not a nice feeling.

I could go on but I think you get the picture.

well at least you are prepared to give it a go australia is such a huge country that it is impossible for it to be the same all over as some others have pointed out, not everywhere is the same, i love where i live in qld, the people are so warm and there is such a community spirit, when i go shopping, i can get all my fresh fruit,veggies etc from our local shops, where people are genuinely interested in you and want to talk to you, i never had that when i lived in Guildford! and i also suppose it depends on your attitude too. Sadly i am having to relocate to the USA for 2 years though my hubbies work, now there are a HUGE number of things i personally dont like about the country, but bottom line, We are choosing to go there (albeit for two years then i will be back!!) also i will respect that the USA do things their way, whether or not i like it is my problem, but i have to respect this and adjust and fit in like everyone else. you said you wife and kids are happy, you should get great pleasure from this, and that alone should help you change your outlook on australia. Australians on the whole are very passionate about their country (a bit like the americans too) and they are proud say they are australian, there is nothing wrong in that, thats prob why they dont do as much coverage on other countries at the olympics etc, they are mainly interested on what their own country is achieving, and right or wrong, you have to give them credit for that.

Old May 17th 2007, 12:17 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly in some ways Australia is 20 years behind the UK, in other ways less or more, and in some aspects it may well be ahead of the UK.

Maybe threads should come with disclaimers, pointing out that all thoughts contained within the post are that of the poster's. And maybe before anyone writes something, they should first put: I know not EVERY pub is like this; I know not EVERY neighbourhood is like this:

But jeez, what boring threads they'd be.

And here are my thoughts, bearing in mind I know that my experiences are unique to me and cannot be applied to all.

Local pub - built in 1883. Like a tardis, looks small on the outside but then on the inside it just keeps going, full of nooks and crannies. Has games behind the bar. A band plays on Sundays. Smokey in one of the bar rooms. Pretty much like a UK pub.

Politicians - boring in the 80s, boring now, boring forever. Very few interesting politicians because of the party system that requires people to toe the party line, and the priority is to be re-elected rather than do anything challenging or difficult that may make the country better but would lose votes.

Coles / Woolworths - yep, crap. Local shops better, but time is short so I have to rely on the supermarkets. Silver lining to this cloud - I cook a lot more with fresh(ish) ingredients rather than ready meals and prepared sauces etc.

TV - I know that there are some lucky people out there who get to watch quality TV. But hey, I make do with what I'm given. I've become a fan of All Saints.

Fashion - maybe it's time for me to retire from the fashionable arena and to instead attire myself with the veritable bargains from Lowes, Best is Less, K Mart, Millers Club. 100% flammable nylon slacks could be my thing.

Australian commercial news broadcasts - bit like expecting the Sun to give you an indepth insight into world politics. SBS and ABC both produce excellent news programs. But ignorance is bliss so I'm quite happy watching 15 mins of Austra-centric news about dodgy politicians, traffic incidents and the latest medical breakthrough by an Australian scientist.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:24 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Although, at the risk of talking to myself (yes Hutch, carry on) - it beats being utterly mediocre at absolutely everything like us Brits.
What are 'us Brits' yourself included, utterly mediocre at? Please don't repeat yourself and say everything again.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:38 am
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

The point I am trying to make is that Australia has no soul, no culture and is a bland and barren place and I am entitled to make that point.

I sure would'nt stay in a country I felt that way about. You should realise these are your opinions-not everyone feels that way.
I don't find Australia any of those things-I do find Perth that way, and a raft of other areas.
I live in the South East of Sydney, Coogee and I find the area anything but soulless, barren or Bland.
The assumption that only the uncultured like Australia, I feel is not correct either. I love Europe, Spain France, Barcelona Paris-yet I don't find Sydney bland.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rossifumi
What are 'us Brits' yourself included, utterly mediocre at? Please don't repeat yourself and say everything again.
Perhaps this could be answered more easily by turning it round ie name something that 'us Brits' are not absolutely mediocre at?

There are niche sports at which we truly excel ie Sailing, Rowing, Equestrian etc however name a truly global sport which Britain has achieved highly in over the last few decades?

This is not a anti British post. I think that part of the problem is that we try and compete in too wide a field of sports. We want to win at everything and obviously we can't. Perhaps if we focussed on a narrower band of sports (like the Aussies do) then we might have more success?
Old May 17th 2007, 12:48 am
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

I think the problem with many immigrants from the UK is they see Australia as a place to buy a big house-this simply isnt accurate.
I thought there were bigger houses in the UK countryside.
The only places where large house are affordable are in boring areas.
I swapped a big house (300sqm-2acres) in Surrey for a boxy little unit in Sydney-I am happier here-although admitedly avoid bringing friends around.
Many Brits should consider the idea of a three bedroom unit in a Sydney beach suburb-there is sooooo much more here than Perth
In fact I think Sydney is more exciting than London personally..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.