Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Old May 17th 2007, 1:11 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
...and nobody likes a sore winner...
I guess you missed the comments from the sports obsessed Poms after England won the Trinations ODI series this summer.

The reality is that Aus, like the UK, will televise the sports in which its competitors are doing well before it will televise other sports and events. If you don't believe me, just look at how much coverage curling gets when there's a British team doing well.

Last edited by MartinLuther; May 17th 2007 at 1:18 am.
Old May 17th 2007, 1:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
No you are wrong there...........no where is as boring as Perth
Except Brussels
Old May 17th 2007, 1:21 am
Account Closed

With hindsight, which is always a great one to piss you right off, we should of chosen Melbourne which seems to have the mix just right, a little culture, good nightlife and shopping, the capital of Australia IMHO....
I reckon you're right there. If the voters of NSW hadn't have thrown a hissy fit in the federation vote then it probably would have been.

Old May 17th 2007, 1:23 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
What are 'us Brits' yourself included, utterly mediocre at? Please don't repeat yourself and say everything again.
Everything except bog-snorkling and welly chucking.

Clear enough sweetheart?
Old May 17th 2007, 1:29 am
A mile High

Location: Noosa, soon to be the US of A (for a little while anyway)
rebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hutch

Clear enough sweetheart?
Attached Thumbnails Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...-dcp85383.jpg  
Old May 17th 2007, 1:37 am
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I reckon you're right there. If the voters of NSW hadn't have thrown a hissy fit in the federation vote then it probably would have been.

Thats probably a good thing-it might have been more like Canberra.
Old May 17th 2007, 1:57 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Clear enough sweetheart?
Has the chip on your shoulder been passed down through generations too? Strange, as you're not Australian born and bred are you?
Old May 17th 2007, 2:02 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Has the chip on your shoulder been passed down through generations too? Strange, as you're not Australian born and bred are you?
Nope - I was born and raised in the UK. As to the chip, yes - it's even on our coat of arms. Has the rod up your arse been handed down through the generations in *your* family?

Old May 17th 2007, 2:20 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Nope - I was born and raised in the UK. As to the chip, yes - it's even on our coat of arms. Has the rod up your arse been handed down through the generations in *your* family?

Yep thought so, handed down through the generations.

Haven't got a rod. Are you offering me yours now you have shares in McCain?
Old May 17th 2007, 2:32 am
Australia's Doorman

Yep thought so, handed down through the generations.

Haven't got a rod. Are you offering me yours now you have shares in McCain?
It's an heirloom - couldn't possibly part with it. Besides, it's currently on loan to the Natural History Museum in London.
Old May 17th 2007, 3:08 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

It does have a bit of a feel of Neil kinnock as far as politics is concerned, I watched the conference last week, well some of it and almost expected to see Michael Foot sleeping on the platform somewhere.

Fashion is fine if you are a twenty something and/or you don't mind dressing like Brad off neighbours.

Pubs are like community centres or bingo halls or something. There are no little nooks or corners where you can have a cosy chat, they have no heart or soul here, none at all.

Shopping in Coles is similar to kwik Save or some other corner shop, no choice and no quality. Woolworths is better but they have the monopoly.

Hooning is far far worse here, kids driving around in 4 litre jobbys screwing the tits out of them where their counterpart in blighty would be screwing a nova or mini, not quite the same eh?

The television is akin to 70's TV, bring back Knotts Landing or Howards Way.

Australia is not what it appears to be from the outside.

oh good points, could not agree more
Old May 17th 2007, 3:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Brewerboy1
Thats probably a good thing-it might have been more like Canberra.
It would probably have been okay as it would have had reasons other than politics for its existence. Not sure how it would have handled the revitalisation of Sydney by the Americans.

Old May 17th 2007, 3:23 am
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brewerboy1
You should realise these are your opinions-not everyone feels that way.
I don't find Australia any of those things.
Mate, of course I realise these are my opinions and thats why I am sharing them, I want to help others avoid making the same mistake I made by coming on holiday for a few months and thinking this is the life, no work sun sand and all that.

Australia is a tough unforgiving country climate wise as we are seeing at the moment with the drought, it is the driest continent on earth, there is not enough water to go around now never mind that we have to try and keep up with the new arrivals year on year. FFS I am now showering with a bucket to catch excess water for the garden.

I have seen most of Australias capital cities and have seen a lot more of Australia than most of my work mates and people who have lived here their whole life and yet I feel it has nothing to offer me, why? Well because I know there is better out there. The yokels do not know what they are missing.

If you are reading this and thinking about coming to live in Australia all I can say is seriously think about why you want to come here, what are your goals and expectations, can they be achieved elsewhere?
Seriously, think about it.

Granted some people love Australia and will defend it to the death but I am just being honest and expressing my opinions.

Now, I might pop out for a pot or a schooner in my local bingo hall watching the locals gamble their lives away at the tab.
Old May 17th 2007, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Mate, of course I realise these are my opinions and thats why I am sharing them, I want to help others avoid making the same mistake I made by coming on holiday for a few months and thinking this is the life, no work sun sand and all that.

Australia is a tough unforgiving country climate wise as we are seeing at the moment with the drought, it is the driest continent on earth, there is not enough water to go around now never mind that we have to try and keep up with the new arrivals year on year. FFS I am now showering with a bucket to catch excess water for the garden.

I have seen most of Australias capital cities and have seen a lot more of Australia than most of my work mates and people who have lived here their whole life and yet I feel it has nothing to offer me, why? Well because I know there is better out there. The yokels do not know what they are missing.

If you are reading this and thinking about coming to live in Australia all I can say is seriously think about why you want to come here, what are your goals and expectations, can they be achieved elsewhere?

Granted some people love Australia and will defend it to the death but I am just being honest and expressing my opinions.

Now, I might pop out for a pot or a schooner in my local bingo hall watching the locals gamble their lives away at the tab.
Best wishes for your return to the UK and hope that you one day find that perfect life that you are looking for.
Old May 17th 2007, 3:41 am
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

Which brings ne to my point-You don't have to be a Yokel to like Australia.
I regard myself as well travelled and cultured and still like Australia.
There might be things about Australia you don't percieve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.